Lawnmower Blenny Off Balance, Keeps Falling Over, Struggling to Right Himself

EAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I recently bought a lawnmower blenny from my LFS to help graze down the hair algae that's growing in my (newish) tank. I acclimated him over about twenty minutes with (fast) drip acclimation and then dropped him in. For the first four or five days, he was fine: darting around, getting along with his tankmates. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that he was leaning to one side pretty dramatically and breathing quickly. When he tried to swim, he'd do corkscrews and circles and end up still leaning over in a new place, often lying entirely on his side. I've relocated him to a QT and I'm keeping an eye on him. He's still alive and active after a few days, and he doesn't look particularly skinny, but the problems leaning and swimming are still present, as you can see in the video.

I've seen a few other threads that touch on this topic and people have thrown out all sorts of explanations: internal parasites, paralysis stemming from neurological problems, swim bladder issues, some sort of starvation induced fugue, etc. But so far none of those threads seem to have clear answers, only speculation.

My DT contains a few other fish--all of which are doing well. I haven't lost a fish to disease in more than three months. There's nothing particularly aggressive in the tank. And the blenny himself is chugging along after several days in the QT. I have a long-spine urchin in my DT, and it occurred to me that the blenny may have gotten poked. But if that happened I'd have thought either the blenny would have died or recovered by now. So what's going on here?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I recently bought a lawnmower blenny from my LFS to help graze down the hair algae that's growing in my (newish) tank. I acclimated him over about twenty minutes with (fast) drip acclimation and then dropped him in. For the first four or five days, he was fine: darting around, getting along with his tankmates. Then, a few days ago, I noticed that he was leaning to one side pretty dramatically and breathing quickly. When he tried to swim, he'd do corkscrews and circles and end up still leaning over in a new place, often lying entirely on his side. I've relocated him to a QT and I'm keeping an eye on him. He's still alive and active after a few days, and he doesn't look particularly skinny, but the problems leaning and swimming are still present, as you can see in the video.

I've seen a few other threads that touch on this topic and people have thrown out all sorts of explanations: internal parasites, paralysis stemming from neurological problems, swim bladder issues, some sort of starvation induced fugue, etc. But so far none of those threads seem to have clear answers, only speculation.

My DT contains a few other fish--all of which are doing well. I haven't lost a fish to disease in more than three months. There's nothing particularly aggressive in the tank. And the blenny himself is chugging along after several days in the QT. I have a long-spine urchin in my DT, and it occurred to me that the blenny may have gotten poked. But if that happened I'd have thought either the blenny would have died or recovered by now. So what's going on here?
Is it eating and is it thin or plump?
There is a myth about these fish in that therms are algae eaters and eat algae only. Truth is , they need calcium and lots of it in which they spend a good portion of the day scraping rocks and coral for calcium
Without it, they become thin-weak- lethargic.
coild be internal but sounds like weakness

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you expect to keep the blenny in Qt for a while, I suggest you add a bowl of non-calcareous sand and maybe a place for him to hide. I agree that the diet needs more than just live algae or dried seaweed.

OP
OP
E

EAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it eating and is it thin or plump?
There is a myth about these fish in that therms are algae eaters and eat algae only. Truth is , they need calcium and lots of it in which they spend a good portion of the day scraping rocks and coral for calcium
Without it, they become thin-weak- lethargic.
coild be internal but sounds like weakness
I’ve seen it take a bite from the nori now and then in the QT, but I confess that in the handful of days it was in the DT I hadn’t seen it aggressively munching away at the algae the way I assumed it would. As for calcium, the DT has some old coral skeletons that are pretty good sizes, so calcium is available for scraping. It’s belly is plump, but the length of the tail seems slender to me, but this is my first experience with a lawnmower blenny, so I can’t really say for certain. The video shows it as it is today.

Stoichiometry

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my new blenny is exhibiting this exact same behavior. Corkscrewing when swimming, crawling around on side. But still being active and darting around regardless. What ever happened to yours? Did he pull through?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey, my new blenny is exhibiting this exact same behavior. Corkscrewing when swimming, crawling around on side. But still being active and darting around regardless. What ever happened to yours? Did he pull through?
I wonder if this is a neurological issue /. . . . . . hmmmm

@Jay Hemdal

Back