Lawnmower Blenny Reef Safe?

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I woke up last weekend with my Diamond Goby out of the tank (still don't know how he got out with the cover on the top.) At any rate, I went to my LFS to look for a new Diamond Goby, or some other fish that can do a good job of turning over the sand bed. Talking to the sales associate, he convinced me to try a Lawnmower Blenny. I've decided it was a poor choice as Lawnmower Blennie's are good at eating algae - but do not turn over a sand bed. (I blame myself for not doing appropriate research before purchasing.) One question I have though is that there are many articles that state that Lawnmower Blenny's are not reef safe - in that they eat coral. Does anybody have any experience with Lawnmower Blenny's and compatibility with coral?
I was thinking of just keeping the fish - he is a fun looking fish. Then go out and stick to the original plan of getting a Diamond Goby to help with the sand bed. However, if they do eat coral, I think it's best I remove the Lawnmower Blenny.
Thanks!

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll graze here and there around your corals and if it gets a taste of something they like they’ll wipe it down pretty quick so I wouldn’t risk it. They’re also know to get an acquired taste for clams.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back