Lawnmower Blenny with Sailfin and hippo tang

amigo003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Lawnmower Blenny. He used to be out and about even when I added a Sailfin Tang. Several months later I saw the blenny always staying dark and would have a spat once in a while with the Sailfin tang. I completely re-arranged the tank and a day later the blenny was dead….

I recently purchased another Lawnmower Blenny and placed him in the tank. He stays hidden most of the time and shade’s himself dark to hid. It’s been 3 days.

Is the Blenny compatible with the Sailfin and hippo tang? Or will this end up another fatality? None of the other fish have issues with the tangs.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ctenochaetus genus tangs can hate lawnmower type blennies, but sailfins and other Zebrasoma cousins usually are okay with them.

But, fish are individuals and tangs can sure be jerks.

OP
OP
A

amigo003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has everybody been in place? Have you tried a mirror?
Tank is 12 months old

2 clown fish - 11 months
2 Bangi cardinal - 10 months other 6 months
Fire gobby - 10 months
Cleaner shrimp - 9 months
Royal Gramma - 9 months
Watchman gobby - 8 months (I think he and Cleaner wrasse fight, he’s always hidden)
Sailfin tang - 6 months
Long tentacle anemone - 6 months
6 line wrasse - 4 months
Blue tang - 2 months
Cleaner wrasse - 1-2 months
Fire hawk - 1 month
Lawnmower blenny - 3 days

That’s the age of the fish in the tank, and what I have in there.

I haven’t used a mirror, I’ve heard this trick, haven’t tried it. The Tangs seem to get along with everything else. Of course I tried an Exquisite wrasse before and the Sailfin kept pinning that guy in the corner…. But hasn’t done that with any other fish added. I also keep these guys well fed.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a Lawnmower Blenny. He used to be out and about even when I added a Sailfin Tang. Several months later I saw the blenny always staying dark and would have a spat once in a while with the Sailfin tang. I completely re-arranged the tank and a day later the blenny was dead….

I recently purchased another Lawnmower Blenny and placed him in the tank. He stays hidden most of the time and shade’s himself dark to hid. It’s been 3 days.

Is the Blenny compatible with the Sailfin and hippo tang? Or will this end up another fatality? None of the other fish have issues with the tangs.
Sometimes tangs harass these blennies as they see them as competition for the algae in the tank. Do you do nori clips? I do two and my lawnmower goes and sits on the top clip and eats nori from there and the tangs never seem to notice him up there but will chase him if they see him. My guy was fat

OP
OP
A

amigo003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes tangs harass these blennies as they see them as competition for the algae in the tank. Do you do nori clips? I do two and my lawnmower goes and sits on the top clip and eats nori from there and the tangs never seem to notice him up there but will chase him if they see him. My guy was fat
I had nori that I’d place in a holder, but I ran out. I should buy more, I keep some algae in the tank and try not to eliminate it all. The pick at stuff here and there. Both the tangs seem to hate the Blenny :(

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back