Molly Miller Blenny AND Lawnmower Blenny?

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Has anybody kept these together without issues? They're awfully similar looking, which is my concern. I have a 120 gallon tank. I was wanting to get a Molly Miller for aiptasia prevention/control, but I'd also kind of like a lawnmower blenny to help with algae.

Can anybody speak from experience on this combo?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody kept these together without issues? They're awfully similar looking, which is my concern. I have a 120 gallon tank. I was wanting to get a Molly Miller for aiptasia prevention/control, but I'd also kind of like a lawnmower blenny to help with algae.

Can anybody speak from experience on this combo?
Molly miller's aren't very good at aiptasia control, and given how similar the 2 fish are it's unlikely they'll get along.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Molly miller's aren't very good at aiptasia control, and given how similar the 2 fish are it's unlikely they'll get along.

This is the first time I've heard somebody say they AREN'T good for aiptasia. Is that from personal experience?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I've heard somebody say they AREN'T good for aiptasia. Is that from personal experience?
Yes I've had one in the past. Molly miller blennies eat pretty much everything, bit they're not aggressive aiptasia eaters. They mostly eat detritus, bio/algal film, and once they've been in your tank long enough mostly just fish food. Lawnmower blennies are okay at eating algae, and they may eat a little filamentous algae, but they're designed to consume film algae which isn't the usual algae hobbyists are trying to remove.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion would be get the one you like more. They're both "workhorse" fish, but neither is particularly effective at it. I love both of them. Molly Miller's tend to do better in captivity than lawnmower blennies

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I took a peak at your build thread, just be aware that your established midas blenny also isn't going to like either of them. I would DEFINITELY not do all 3. My personal choice would be Molly Miller.

AquaReefsTV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a Molly Miller Blenny. However, I do currently have a Lawnmower Blenny who became the reason my hair algae disappeared! I would watch him mow it down as soon as he got in my tank. But yes they also eat mainly the film algae. Having them is like having a small helper trying to keep your glass clean lol. Except they don't clean your entire glass so you will still need your glass magnet, unfortunately. Great fish though with an awesome personality!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a Molly Miller Blenny. However, I do currently have a Lawnmower Blenny who became the reason my hair algae disappeared! I would watch him mow it down as soon as he got in my tank. But yes they also eat mainly the film algae. Having them is like having a small helper trying to keep your glass clean lol. Except they don't clean your entire glass so you will still need your glass magnet, unfortunately. Great fish though with an awesome personality!
This is in line with my lawnmower blenny experience. Help out a bit with hair algae and a bit with film algae, but mainly their contribution to hair algae is giving you little short cut hair algae pompoms and a host of scrapey Blenny teeth marks in the film algae all over your glass

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also I took a peak at your build thread, just be aware that your established midas blenny also isn't going to like either of them. I would DEFINITELY not do all 3. My personal choice would be Molly Miller.

Thanks for all your input. It's helpful! I hadn't considered the Midas blenny. He's already a terror to my dart fish so I'm glad you mentioned that!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back