Lchi’s 10g

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone suggested that I start a thread here to document progression of my first foray into saltwater sooo let’s start from the beginning.
This tank initially was a freshwater tank that I was going to take down but that’s no fun! So as intimidated as I was (still am!) about making the switch, I went for it while my fiancé was away at work one evening.

See ya later freshwater tank: photo from 3/2017
8104C987-95AA-40A5-8253-EA65AC9420C1.jpeg

1/20/2018- Time to reset. Removing substrate is my least favorite task..
4F40B96B-DBE9-45C6-B208-FE2C7B8FE51F.jpeg

Its not a build thread unless there is at least one photo of a tank with cloudy water :p
288922AE-B973-49AA-AFA1-F66876BC1EC1.jpeg

Clearing up and signs of life!
9DE79794-CCA3-4204-961D-F739CA147080.jpeg

AD50DDE0-9BE2-4F6A-ACE5-0012DC5B1473.jpeg

It was pretty late at night when that pod came scuttling out of the rock. I thought my tiredness was making me see things that weren’t there lol.

And present day:
27D87141-A9A8-4E0E-8A35-1CB656DEB666.jpeg

2/15-This morning: Blenjamin slept in despite the lights coming on; still got his PJ colors on haha.
A5E5E4AE-005B-4F5B-9356-70599852742B.jpeg

At his usual perch, ready for breakfast:
4E4FC92A-EA4C-4563-98B9-D9090FFDA2BD.jpeg

Thanks for looking and more to come!

OP
OP
Lchi87

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice rock work - this tank is gonna be fun! Where'd the live rock come from?
Thanks! It came from my LFS and its that aqua cultured eco friendly stuff so I wasn’t entirely sure how “live” this live rock would be so it was nice to see that little pod come out. Unfortunately, I’m not 100% in love with the rock work so I may be changing it around lol. I’m glad you like it though! :)

OP
OP
Lchi87

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build I just upgrade from a 10g to a 75g. Are you planning on getting any corals?
Yes! I am content to keep it a fowlr for awhile, as I know my tank needs to mature for a bit first but I definitely want corals! I am eyeing an AI Prime HD+ on ebay right now so I can get rid of my ugly generic lights. And a 10 to a 75! That's a serious upgrade, congrats!!

Last edited:

Ezrunner23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep your eyes open on the selling forum (dry goods) sometimes they have almost new items for sell and its cheaper than buying new.

OP
OP
Lchi87

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keep your eyes open on the selling forum (dry goods) sometimes they have almost new items for sell and its cheaper than buying new.
For sure! The ebay listing is for a used unit + the mount and was only in use for a few months; as good as those lights are, I'd rather not pay full price on those if I can help it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great @Lchi87 ! You'll be amazed when you revisit this thread 6 months, 1 year, 5 years from now and see all the changes.

FYI, with you in the Edison area, the LFS's that you need to check out (if you haven't already) are Ocean Gallery 2 (North Plainfield), Feng's Reef (Dunellen, call first), and Aquatic Obsessions (Avenel).

Keep the updates coming.

When you're ready for corals, give me a shout out and I'll give you what I have available.

OP
OP
Lchi87

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great @Lchi87 ! You'll be amazed when you revisit this thread 6 months, 1 year, 5 years from now and see all the changes.

FYI, with you in the Edison area, the LFS's that you need to check out (if you haven't already) are Ocean Gallery 2 (North Plainfield), Feng's Reef (Dunellen, call first), and Aquatic Obsessions (Avenel).

Keep the updates coming.

When you're ready for corals, give me a shout out and I'll give you what I have available.
Holy cow, I had no idea all those existed by me! I've been going to Aquaridise this whole time and Absolutely Fish whenever I'm more north visiting family so thanks for the information. :) You're so very kind!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you'll find the pricing more reasonable at the ones I recommended. I would imagine Aquatic Obsessions is closest for you....great store, up Route 1 to Route 35 North....about a mile up the road on the right side right past the burger place (I think Burger King), in a small strip mall.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R and nice start.....:)

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blenjamin is a super cute name. I have a tailspot too. Now he needs a cute name. Haha. Like the tank and rock work. If I can offer a suggestion, I'd point the hydor at an angle towards the water surface for better aeration and to create a gyre effect giving more flow throughout the tank. Looks like a great start though! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Lchi87

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking 10G tank takeing care t don’t be lazy girl
Happy reef and welcome to r2r
Haha, thanks! I am definitely not a lazy hobbyist. More often then not, there's dishes piling up in my sink, and laundry to fold, and crumbs to sweep up but my tanks are always clean! :p
Blenjamin is a super cute name. I have a tailspot too. Now he needs a cute name. Haha. Like the tank and rock work. If I can offer a suggestion, I'd point the hydor at an angle towards the water surface for better aeration and to create a gyre effect giving more flow throughout the tank. Looks like a great start though! Thanks for sharing.
Aren't tailspots great? :D Originally I was going to call him Twitch! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm actually looking to upgrade this powerhead because I feel like it's not enough...would a wavemaker be overkill? Idk, I just feel like I can do better than this lol.
I like your blenny's name ;Hilarious
I like it too! My fiance actually named him while I was away on a work trip. I was on the phone with him one night walking him through feeding all my tanks and then he starts saying "Blenjamin this, and Blenjamin that.." and I'm like who the HECK is Blenjamin?? ;Hilarious

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That powerhead is probably fine but it does depend a bit on what type of corals you will be keeping. For soft corals and LPS corals, lower flow is fine. For SPS corals, higher flow is needed. Much of the submersible powerheads sold as "wave makers" don't create an actual wave and more like what you have now, but with a controller that allows you to tweek some settings, adds a feed mode etc. Though there are a couple out there, primarily for large tanks that can create a true wave effect.

Which version of the nano Koralia is that? The 200gph or the 400gph?

OP
OP
Lchi87

Lchi87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That powerhead is probably fine but it does depend a bit on what type of corals you will be keeping. For soft corals and LPS corals, lower flow is fine. For SPS corals, higher flow is needed. Much of the submersible powerheads sold as "wave makers" don't create an actual wave and more like what you have now, but with a controller that allows you to tweek some settings, adds a feed mode etc. Though there are a couple out there, primarily for large tanks that can create a true wave effect.

Which version of the nano Koralia is that? The 200gph or the 400gph?
200gph I think. I remember being slightly underwhelmed after plugging it in for the first time but it definitely moves things around, especially after repositioning it like you suggested. :)

AQUAM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup! Love seeing the transformation.

The prime hd+ would be an overkill for a 10g fowlr IMO. However, if you (inevitably) decide to upgrade the tank in the future, it's worth looking into the Asta 120 as a more powerful alternative.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back