LE Event Horizon Favia aka PPE Chalice/JC Prism Chalice

K-MAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i was having second thoughts because im going to move in 3 months...$200 is a steal and i was actually thinking i could make some money to help with the move. Im keeping it, i wont ever get another piece for this price...I dont think anyone has ever sold it for less then that

I had no intention of buying it, but how could i pass it up for that price

Darren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine from Ebay as well and it was no where near $200. This was about 6 months ago....

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Event Horizon Vs. "Other PPE"

I just thought I'd share this pic I took recently. I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison shot between the orginal Negret favia, and the others that have come into the hobby under the same name. I have bought a total of three other wild pieces aside from my polyp from rnegret, and so far all of the others have turned out the same. All of the others were frags with several polyps, whereas the Event Horizon/original PPE started as one. They are certainly similar, but thus far, after over a year in my system, they have not turned out to be the same. However, I should state I think both are beautiful favias. I certainly don't want to imply I think the wild pieces are ugly or unworthy; certainly not, and were worth the much lower price I paid.

Negret on the left, other "PPE" favia on the right.
eventhorizonvsppe.jpg

I may be biased, but I think the EH is a brighter blue, and the green is more neon. The polyps so far are actually larger on the "wild" pieces. I also noticed the others so far have not developed the purple outer ring on each polyp, as you can see in the EH polyps on the left. The wild pieces also don't seem to get the blue all the way to the center of the colony. It tends to be nice and blue around the outer part of the colony, but the inter-polyp spaces seem to get darker, more towards purple, in the middle of the colony.

Just some thoughts. Cheers!

Last edited:

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. I think they are both nice. I didn't want to make it seem like I was saying one was not nice, just demonstrating the differences I've seen between the different "lineages". I do think that if you want to get the nicest, based on the pics you've seen around, you want to make sure to get the real deal Negret piece, but for the difference in price, it's not all bad to settle for the knockoffs, so to speak. Just know what you are getting.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach, ever since going away from 8T5s mine has morphed in color cosiderably. Where do you have yours place in your tank to keep the light white/blue color.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine always seems to look the best in moderate/lower lighting. The colors really deepen and get very rich/vibrant when they are semi-shaded. In brighter light the colors tend to fade on me. I replaced all my bulbs in my Tek 6 a few months back, and the mother colony faded on me for a couple months. I was purplexed at first, because it took a few weeks for the color to slowly fade (not a bleaching event, just lightening), and it finally occurred to me that it was the new bulbs, so I moved the fixture up several inches and it's come back nicely. Still not all the way colored back up, but close.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zack - it looks like your "wild" one is shaded under a monti-cap. If so, I would bet that is why the color is different.
If you ask me, I'd say it is the same piece. Only the fish gods know for sure though.

If it was me - I'd cut a frag of both and put them on the same plug.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are both partially shaded. The angle I had to get at with the top-down box put the cap in the way on the right, but they are both getting close to the same lighting. Fact is, when I did shade the Event Horizon more (it used to be under a rock outcropping), it just had even deeper, nicer colors, IME--that's where it also developed the purple outer rim. I also have another piece cut from the wild piece on the right that is in open light and it looks close to the same, maybe a little lighter, and the color contrast on that piece seems less defined. They both look better with more diffuse lighting. If you look at the EH nearer the top of the picture, where is is closer to the rock and getting less light, the colors are actually richer and nicer than the outer (bottom of pic) part of the colony getting more light.

They are not the same piece at all. They share similar color patterns, but the one on the right was imported as a wild piece and went directly into my tank, and the EH came from Negret as a single polyp, and he got his some time ago, I believe as a wild piece (though I could be wrong). I've fragged all of my pieces a few different times and put them in various spots in the tank, and the "wild" ones have never developed any different coloration, though the vibrance has varied (only less than what you see in the above pic). Who knows why they are so close yet different, but I'm not misrepresenting anything; the differences you see are real, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
Back