LE Event Horizon Favia aka PPE Chalice/JC Prism Chalice

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man Zack has all the good stuff!!!

Nice growth on this piece everyone keep up the updates this is an awesome favia :D

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours looks great too. Looks like it has more red to it. What lighting is yours under?
Thanks Man
I have em under T-5's
2 36" 10K
1 24" Actinic
1 24" Purple
1 36" Purple
I have moved it from the cave it was in into direct light.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same coral as Zach's but sourced from another place. This piece likes to change colors a lot.

tankpics001-1.jpg

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have probably the same coral from 3 different sources. Here is an old pic of one from Negret thru Jason Fox. Little bleached now with the new radiums, had to move it. Def light sensitive.

PPETHING209.jpg

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've actually purchased this favia type from a few places now, a couple wildcaught-- just to see if they were all the same. I have to say, while the wild pieces do appear similar, I have not found them to color up as well as Negret's for some reason, even after nearly a year. I don't know why this is, but it's been my observation that these non-lineaged pieces don't color up the same. The wild ones I've picked up do show the baby blue on the outer areas, but they tend to fade to a more purple in the center of the colony, and the inter-polyp areas don't get as blue all the way through the colony; they look more like 650's. The green also seems, subjectively, not to be as neon, though this is harder to judge. The "original" Negret PPE/Event Horizon gets blue through and through, as shown in bkopp's piece and mine.

eventhorizon_15545.jpg

eventhorizon_14130.jpg

I'll have to try and get some pics of the wild pieces to try and demonstrate. Light definitely plays a role in this coral's coloration, but even kept in the same spot, the wild ones aren't coloring up as well.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when did that second pic develop the purple growth edge, or was it there all along?

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, what's up with the purple rim? As if this coral needed more.

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's true. Mines don't have a purple rim either. Let me pull out my purple sharpie. I'll show you a before and after shot.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If any one has a Negret's with the vibrent colorattion for sale please pm me, i would love one of these in my collection.

Nanofins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rim developed around six months or so after I got the frag (1 polyp), which is about the time of that picture. It seems to only develop this rim under lower/indirect (shaded) lighting. As the colony grew out of the shade, I've found the more exposed areas don't get this purple rim, but the areas in the shade do. All of my pieces are under six 54w T-5's in a 75g.

BayCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rim developed around six months or so after I got the frag (1 polyp), which is about the time of that picture. It seems to only develop this rim under lower/indirect (shaded) lighting. As the colony grew out of the shade, I've found the more exposed areas don't get this purple rim, but the areas in the shade do. All of my pieces are under six 54w T-5's in a 75g.

Cool! I got mines from purple up who got his from you. So I just need to wait for it to growout. I guess I'll put away the sharpie.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like in the second pick that NF' had with the purple rim development mine did that as well... but the damm thing took forever to develop the colors.

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are polyps going for now days? I know Juice had a 2 polyp frag for $350 about a year ago.

K-MAN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So somehow everyone on R2R was watching football because i just scored a one eye frag from negret himself on Ebay for ONLY $99.99!!!

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 79 53.7%
  • NO

Votes: 45 30.6%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back