Leak 911-best temp fix

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opened cabinet on my Reefer 450 to find a little water this morning. First thought was sump, traced it down and seems to be coming from under tank towards back. Question: can you use aquarium sealant available from box stores underwater to run a bead along back bottom?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't think that you could use any silicone cement underwater - and it's certainly not going to be pleasant for your current inhabitants!

You'll want to remove all the creatures to another tank before attempting repairs - at least that's how I'd do it. (There's a whole lot of stuff I don't know!)

~Bruce

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some silicone sealants that will cure underwater. I have used one of them before with success but it was a small amount in a large volume of water and I had no other option. As far as being safe, I don't believe any will be 100% and I don't think any silicone will adhere to previously cured silicone so it would be nearly impossible to seal your tank with water in it.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 2nd red sea tank of heard of this month that's leaking in that area. How old is this tank? The other tank I am referring to was completely swapped out for a new tank, so I don't have any tips on the leak. I would call red sea and see what they have to say, but in the meantime it is probably a good idea to start moving everything into another tank until this can be sorted out. @waybad41willys may have some helpful suggestions

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the 2nd red sea tank of heard of this month that's leaking in that area. How old is this tank? The other tank I am referring to was completely swapped out for a new tank, so I don't have any tips on the leak. I would call red sea and see what they have to say, but in the meantime it is probably a good idea to start moving everything into another tank until this can be sorted out. @waybad41willys may have some helpful suggestions
+1
Call RS and demand a replacement and make sure you get one that's not pre-drilled and plugged on the back glass for the Hydra's

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going for sealant and reading label realized worst case scenario. Diverted to Lowe's and got some containers to transfer everything over. Luckily I have enough powerheads and heaters to transfer to 3 totes. Tank is just hitting the one year mark. I have noticed that my salinity has been dropping the past couple of months. Although this morning was the first time I noticed water in the open space 3rd cabinet. Actually had wet carpet first time today also. I will get it dry tonight and contact lfs where I bought the tank tomorrow. Contacting Red Sea on Monday. Not sure if they warranty tanks or not. Thanks for everybody's responses. My readings here on R2R helped bunches. I remember several people saving the day by transferring to totes.
I've been wanting to redo my aquascape anyway. There is always a positive side to everything, if you look hard enough.[emoji23]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After going for sealant and reading label realized worst case scenario. Diverted to Lowe's and got some containers to transfer everything over. Luckily I have enough powerheads and heaters to transfer to 3 totes. Tank is just hitting the one year mark. I have noticed that my salinity has been dropping the past couple of months. Although this morning was the first time I noticed water in the open space 3rd cabinet. Actually had wet carpet first time today also. I will get it dry tonight and contact lfs where I bought the tank tomorrow. Contacting Red Sea on Monday. Not sure if they warranty tanks or not. Thanks for everybody's responses. My readings here on R2R helped bunches. I remember several people saving the day by transferring to totes.
I've been wanting to redo my aquascape anyway. There is always a positive side to everything, if you look hard enough.[emoji23]
I have the RS S 400 and the warranty was for 1 year. I don't care if it's over a year they should replace it for you with a big "sorry for your troubles".

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what I am missing my emergency protocol with Fish And Corals in the totes? I put powerheads and heaters in each one for the basics. Don't have lights yet but can do it if this is going to be a while. And how long can I maintain them in these? Is there anything that I am missing?

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quik update:
When I bought tank, the lfs owner gave me his cell #. Sent him a message about the situation and man did he step up. Said they have a used tank to loan me til replacement comes and assured me there would be no issues with warranty. I am so blessed to do my fishy business in Columbia SC.[emoji106][emoji106]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quik update:
When I bought tank, the lfs owner gave me his cell #. Sent him a message about the situation and man did he step up. Said they have a used tank to loan me til replacement comes and assured me there would be no issues with warranty. I am so blessed to do my fishy business in Columbia SC.[emoji106][emoji106]
Congrats! :)
That's why I make big purchases at my lfs and not online. :D

Just an FYI...
Red Sea started to drill the back wall glass for their Hydra mounts. If you don't care then that's fine but if you like Broadfields clear back wall look then ask for a replacement that has no drill holes. If you get one that's drilled it will come with black plugs on the back wall glass.

Regards, GoVols

waybad41willys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0562.PNG
My 650 had a leak underneath also Red Sea was very helpful at getting me a replacement took order tank on a Friday had it by Wednesday and started changing on Thursday. Reused most of the water and just used new sand every thing when very well wit no losses . This photo was one week after change

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on the drilled issue. I'll make sure it's brought up when I talk to Red Sea this week. Don't know if I would go clear back like Toby's tank but I have considered changing from black to a nice blue. My tanks could never come close to what he can do (insert Wayne's World "we're not worthy" meme here).
He's the Tesla edition and I'm more ratrod. Function over flash.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0562.PNG
My 650 had a leak underneath also Red Sea was very helpful at getting me a replacement took order tank on a Friday had it by Wednesday and started changing on Thursday. Reused most of the water and just used new sand every thing when very well wit no losses . This photo was one week after change
Thanx, I've been considering if I should reuse sand. I put it in buckets without heat or flow of any kind so I'm sure its been compromised.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on the drilled issue. I'll make sure it's brought up when I talk to Red Sea this week. Don't know if I would go clear back like Toby's tank but I have considered changing from black to a nice blue. My tanks could never come close to what he can do (insert Wayne's World "we're not worthy" meme here).
He's the Tesla edition and I'm more ratrod. Function over flash.
Smokin,

Your Welcome and we are all family here on r2r.

If you want to read the "drilled holes" go to the Red Sea sponsor forum on r2r. I go off on that thing and (lol) I still stand behind my post's on that thread.

Toby's "reefer" is his dream and it inspires us all. When you look inside his display... (Sometimes Less is truly More).

You scape your dream and don't worry about others. No two reefs are the same and I find beauty in everyone that I gaze into.

We wish you all the best and hopefully your lfs will do the work for you getting your replacement.

Please keep us updated and were all sorry you've had to deal with the leak.

~ Freddie

Last edited:

waybad41willys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0538.JPG
Most definitely do not reuse the sand can really cause problems. When I switched mine I was able to leave sump setup with its water .
I set up a 90 gal with just a heater and power head place all the high end corals and fish in it and the rest of the rock was just in garbage cans with power head . The day I got the 90 up I did a 30 gallon water change on main take then when i switch tanks filled the 90 then put rest of water in garbage cans and tubs . Then we made the switch Put in new sand and started to fill had to make another 30 gallons to top off then turn on every thing any let it run over night . The next morning we put every thing back in did have to take some water out to make room for rock and coral . Been running great since no losses

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm glad they are taking care of it for you, but this and a few other threads i've seen about red sea tanks leaking is making me realize not to ever skimp on any of this equipment. My next tank will be either reef savvy or coast to coast.

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even after all the work and struggle this is causing, I am still a redseafishianado. For the solid tank stand sump and plumbing I don't think you can beat it for the price. I have had a good year with this and all I've had to focus on are fish and water and Coral. This gives me a chance to go back and do some of these if I had it to do over threads. Rework my Aquascape and do a reset. I even had my lfs order me a 350 to set up as a fowlr tank.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back