Leaking Bulkhead

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally dropped a small screwdriver into my overflow earlier tonight and in trying to get it out, rattled my return and the bulkhead started leaking as a result. The bulkhead screw was pretty loose and I was able to tighten it to the point where it's no longer leaking bad but I still see a small amount of moisture forming and there's a small drop every 5 minutes or so. Assuming it doesn't get worse, do I need to replace the bulkhead? Thanks in advance for the advice...

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bulkheads have a sweet spot..too tight a leak will Accor, too loose it will leak, find the sweet spot, i have never had to add a sealant to my bulk heads but that's your choice, if you really want to go through removing everything to seal it silicone reef safe is ok but find the sweet spot and you will be fine.. it does takes some patience just my 2c

OP
OP
D

denverjon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thanks for the advice. I would prefer to no use silicone if I can avoid it. I haven't been able to find the sweet spot yet but the leak is pretty small, maybe a half teaspoon to a teaspoon per hour.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not a brand new bulkhead the gaskets may be just a bit deformed over time. Leaving it snug, but not over tightened will probably let the gasket seal things up on it's own within a day.

I usually do them hand tight then no more than 1/8th of a turn with pliers or a wrench.

A bit of silicone grease on the gaskets instead of straight silicone works wonders as well. Just be sure not to over tighten, as the grease will let you tighten it more than you may want.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back