Leaking Crystal Dynamics Tank, can it be fixed?

options for next steps

• Total voters

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 180g tank sprung a leak up high on the back corner. I’m wondering if it’s possible to reseal this side and if so then what might the method be?
Any help is appreciated!
Joshua

TheAquarian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a glass tank? If your going to fix it then you need to empty it, cut out all the old silicone clean it with denatured alcohol and re seal it then let it cure for 72 hours. So I would get a new tank and then fix the old one now you’ll have two that’s a win!

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D8AD53C8-BFAF-4843-9BE1-3521473D1ED4.jpeg

It’s in the back corner, hard to get a good shot. I spent the day taking down as much as I could from the cabinet. I’ve got a backup tank that plumbing so I can fully drain the tank.
Yes it is glass btw.
I spoke to Neptune Aquatics, where I ordered the tank from originally and they suggested I contact the manufacturer, Crystal Dynamics, and see what can be done. The seal broke at the eutobrace and a few inches down the side seal. The seams were armored and I can plainly see the separation. The store thinks the tank will need to be rebuilt.

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is this tank? I just purchased a 235 eurobraced peninsula from Crystal Dynamic. It was delivered back in December & I’ve yet to get it wet.... now I’m a bit worried to get her filled up:(

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a quote from them and read another post on a CD seam seperation so got me scared. I asked why seams are armored with acrylic not glass but have not seen a response. Good luck i hear they are a customer support based company

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is about a year and a half old. I ordered it in the summer of 2016.

How old is this tank? I just purchased a 235 eurobraced peninsula from Crystal Dynamic. It was delivered back in December & I’ve yet to get it wet.... now I’m a bit worried to get her filled up:(

Tumey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tank is about a year and a half old. I ordered it in the summer of 2016.
I currently have a 150g Oceanic that I know for sure I’m at least the 3rd one to have owned the tank. I’ve had it for nearly 15 years myself without any problems. I wanted to go bigger & really wanted a Reef Savvy but couldn’t swing the quote I received from Felix. I came across the CD tank and tried finding out as much about their build quality online before deciding to pull the trigger. I did find more good reviews than bad & for the cost difference this is why I went with CD. I guess I’ll have to get a little OCD with checking the seams once she gets wet. Probably should have saved my money for a couple more years to get the Savvy & hope my seams on the CD weren’t put together on a Friday!

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh, look at your build great job. What were you thoughts of quality before leak? And now what are you thinking of CD? There was another post, will look up poster and his seam split (CD tank no erobracing), he said they said 1:million. Also what is the distance between side pane and return hole?see ryanCSGO

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8F21682B-1DA3-4CEE-9C9F-9F228FA70F07.jpeg

I’ve transferred all coral and fishes into my spare tank in the garage with extra heaters. Just got the led lights on the system yesterday.
So far I’ve only lost an algae blenny who jumped out of his holding tank but many fish have cuts and scrapes. I’m worried about their stress levels causing disease.
I’m still trying to get a hold of Crystal Dynamics to have a conversation.

OP
OP
Joshua Telles

Joshua Telles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny about the quote. The phone mail box was full so I emailed in, the warranty email and sales email are the same btw. I got a call back quickly from my email. The rep was very nice and helpful and I’m feeling good that they will take care of the situation. Apparently its become standard to add more bracing to tanks than I had on mine. As in the bottom brace and double euro brace.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a red flag for me, alot of tanks have niether. I personally dont like rimless so eurobracing is a must but not common for bottom. Maybe your tank is tool tall for there glue

Tumey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
89DCD158-6D11-449C-B4DF-8759DD171491.jpeg
453FEF6A-D583-49D4-AA2F-947D6730BCED.jpeg
Yes it appears that’s how CD is building them now. Mine is braced on the bottom & double braced around the top. Tank is 30 x 30 x 60 long.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines not double eurobrace. But my bracing is done differently as I have a cost to coast.

7e8a79798a346fbd9a04c881bb183805.jpg

a03249c4e23404b23257f5b9ee2ddc8c.jpg

Now this got me worrying.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back