Leaking main drain at the bulkhead

hubble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a leak on the main drain bulkhead where the 1" pipe attaches to the bulkhead. Anyone have a good fix? It would be possible to remove and replace but would be a huge pain in the butt. This is on a interior overflow box.

20221130_124536.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there isn't any dirt or scratches in the seal area. You could also try some silicone lubricant around the oring or vaseline. Or you can use super glue around the leaking area, or silicone.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's leaking where the pipe is glued into the bulkhead. I've already decided to replace it, might as well do this right.
Good idea.
Remember, twist the pipe 1/4 turn when going in when gluing.
That will give you the best seal.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly why I like using screw in bulkheads. Makes them easy to take apart if you have to, and makes it easy to fix a leak.

Good choice on taking it apart and fixing it right. As Dburr said, make sure you give it that 1/4" twist to get a good seal.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Have a leak on the main drain bulkhead where the 1" pipe attaches to the bulkhead. Anyone have a good fix? It would be possible to remove and replace but would be a huge pain in the butt. This is on a interior overflow box.

20221130_124536.jpg
This is my configuration and I hate it. Often the leak point is the gasket. As it is not typical or recommended, after trying to tighten my union a little, it leaked worse, so I stopped flow to the overflow, cleaned area with rubbing alcohol and used Flex seal in a can- And it has not leaked for over 14 months. Again- not an industry standard but heck- No leaks is all I care about and you can imagine- Happy.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to deburr the pipe end before gluing. I don't use primer or transition cement but maybe it helps :)

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to deburr the pipe end before gluing. I don't use primer or transition cement but maybe it helps :)
You deburr the pipe but don't use primer!!! Primer changes the molecular structure of the pipe so it can bond together with glue. It's an important process and usually the cause of most leaks and future breaks when pipes are accidentally bumped or pushed around when not done.

Use primer and the correct glue its all been designed for this application.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"You deburr the pipe but don't use primer!!!" Yes :D It's not necessary for our application, clean pipe and basically no pressure.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to fix a leaking bulkhead is to remove it and clean the glass where it attaches and clean the bulkhead or replace it. I would not use silicone or and thing like flex seal.
That's not the kind of leak this post is about.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure there isn't any dirt or scratches in the seal area. You could also try some silicone lubricant around the oring or vaseline. Or you can use super glue around the leaking area, or silicone.
Y'all, please don't use Vaseline or other oil based products on your gaskets and o-rings.
Vaseline degrades rubber... Safer sex saves lives ;)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back