Learn from my salinity mistake

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up since February, and I have been living a lie since probably right around that time.

using a refractometer and calibrating with RO to zeros (the mistake, keep reading) and ran my tank at “1.026”

my first sign was the low calcium reading, I’ve got a small amount of SPS/LPS and my salt should have mixed to 430 CA but my levels never above 380, even with doin two part reef fusion.
The next sign was when acclimating my fish. LFS keeps their tanks at 1.019, and I have many fish from there. Always acclimated by the slow addition of tank water to the bag of water. My last fish I tested the bag water and it came in at 1.025, so according to my refractometer my ratio since February has been

1.026 = 1.020

I recalibrated my refractometer to 1.019 to match LFS, and the DT was actually 1.020 since forever!!!!! Instead of my weekend water change I’ve spent 4-5 days adding a 1/2 gallon of salty water to the sump and filling ATO with 1.026

when I finally reached 1.026 I took water to LFS and they used refractometer to test it came in at 1.028 so I said well crap now too salty and I’ve added 0.008 salt in less than a week. The gentlemen sold me on a Hanna tester my first one is salinity, calibrated it and my DT is 1.024, so

1) still not salty enough after now fifth day of adding extra salty water
2) if you have 10+ fish and bunch of coral, get a Hanna salinity tester, refractometer are tough to rely on.

everything has looked tremendous each day, I think “fessing up” or using mistakes as a lesson to learn from should be done more in this hobby.

also added benefit I am now 100% sure of my inkbird reading correct temp as it has temp function with the salinity. Should have thrown in a TDS meter just for good measure.

carry on !

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've been using Red Sea Blue bucket forever so I know exactly how many cups for a 5 gallon bucket for 1.026 sg

I use the Milwaukee refractometer and it matches 1.026 every time for over 6 years now.

I have the tropic marin hydrometer as my backup reference.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a water change but made a big rookie error, I forgot to calibrate my refractometer! Long story short my tank has gone from the usual 1.025 to now 1.027! I’ll just let my ato sort it out by taking some water from the sump.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up since February, and I have been living a lie since probably right around that time.

using a refractometer and calibrating with RO to zeros (the mistake, keep reading) and ran my tank at “1.026”

my first sign was the low calcium reading, I’ve got a small amount of SPS/LPS and my salt should have mixed to 430 CA but my levels never above 380, even with doin two part reef fusion.
The next sign was when acclimating my fish. LFS keeps their tanks at 1.019, and I have many fish from there. Always acclimated by the slow addition of tank water to the bag of water. My last fish I tested the bag water and it came in at 1.025, so according to my refractometer my ratio since February has been

1.026 = 1.020

I recalibrated my refractometer to 1.019 to match LFS, and the DT was actually 1.020 since forever!!!!! Instead of my weekend water change I’ve spent 4-5 days adding a 1/2 gallon of salty water to the sump and filling ATO with 1.026

when I finally reached 1.026 I took water to LFS and they used refractometer to test it came in at 1.028 so I said well crap now too salty and I’ve added 0.008 salt in less than a week. The gentlemen sold me on a Hanna tester my first one is salinity, calibrated it and my DT is 1.024, so

1) still not salty enough after now fifth day of adding extra salty water
2) if you have 10+ fish and bunch of coral, get a Hanna salinity tester, refractometer are tough to rely on.

everything has looked tremendous each day, I think “fessing up” or using mistakes as a lesson to learn from should be done more in this hobby.

also added benefit I am now 100% sure of my inkbird reading correct temp as it has temp function with the salinity. Should have thrown in a TDS meter just for good measure.

carry on !

The problem is likely because you were using a cheap refractometer (they are often for brine and not for seawater) and calibrating with RO. You must use calibration fluid with these cheap ones.

They do make some good refractometers around the $100+ range, lab grade.

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent the money for a Red Sea refractometer and follow the instructions: make sure the refractometer and RODI water used to calibrate is at room temp. Calibrate. Then test tank water with refractometer pointed at a white or natural light. Also make sure to keep your instrument clean after use. Don’t allow salt water to dry on it.
It’s always dead on. And I have an old IO hydrometer that is dead on and consistent.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a High Precision Hydrometer from Tropic Marin. Then just set your refractometer to whatever that reads. Here are the temp conversions for the hydrometer if you need it.
F840436C-1343-437C-9E45-CC0C090CC131.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will only use a swingarm as long as I reef

You won't catch me with a refractometer or an ammonia test kit that's for sure/ pride

Back