Learn how to culture Rhodomonas salina phytoplankton

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Every week, I get several hobbyist that want help culturing Rhodomonas salina. I'm not claiming to be an expert. That's for Taras at Top Shelf Aquatics, as I've struggled after I got the strain in March, for a month or so.

Here's a few tips I've learned and this can be done successfully at home with out flask to hold the mother culture. If the culturing container or jar is wide, this helps with sterilization, you can wipe down the container with ease vs a narrow jug that you need multiple brushes to sterilize between each use.

I would recommend a wide mouth 1 gallon jar, I like to be able to double bleach each container, then spray down with rubbing alcohol, air dry then fill with bleach instant ocean saltwater, I use T-chlor 12.5% and it takes 25 ml to get a 5 gallons of saltwater to 50-75 ppt of bleach which is required to sanitize the saltwater. I'll let the bleach saltwater go with aeration for 1-2 hours, this gives me a peace of mind that anything I might have missed may get killed off with time. After the 2 hours is over, I'll add pool dechlorinator, you can find this on amazon or fritz sells containers of this, look for sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate. STP goes a long way I'll tell you to add 2-3 crystals per gallon, this will dissolve fast and any excess will be gone in minutes. Once the chlorine is gone, you'll want to add Fritz F/2, this is critical as it's the only fertilizer on the market that's close to what Rhodomonas needs to survive. Fritz F/2 is 13:1 ratio, ideally you want a 15:1 ratio for Rhodomonas salina but I haven't found that ratio. You'll add 2ml of each part, Fritz F/2 is two parts A & B, I recommend doing 8 ounce of Rhodomonas salina per gallon and adjusting each week depending on density each week. You may need to add more if your lighting or temputure varies during the day. I culture in an area that stays between 77-80 degrees. Rhodomonas like cooler temps, this strain does not tolerate temps well above 82 degrees.

I'll also note that after adding both parts of Fritz that you do not want to wait to add the your start of phytoplankton as precipitation will occur and you'll need to restart with new saltwater.

Here is my instagram page, I am doing a Rhodomonas salina series. While the clips are basic for now, I do have a new stand I'm working on building so I don't have to do voice overs as my operation is loud from all the pumps, air pumps and water movement. So hang in there with me as I'll be able to use more equipment to get better video content.

Come learn how to culture Rhodomonas salina part 1

OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is day 2 of Rhodomonas salina, this was yesterday Jan 16th. I didn't have time to edit the video yesterday with shipping. Don't worry I know my clips suck, give me time and I'll make them better.

Day 2 of Rhodomonas salina

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask what ratio of phyto to new saltwater you're doing?

ETA: Sorry, I definitely just saw you put it in your post. I started Rhodomonas a couple weeks ago, and I think it's been getting ready too early. I'll try and dilute it more. I've been doing a 1:2 dilution as I do with my other cultures. Thanks!

ETA2: So far I've been growing with just regular F2 from Mercer of Montana, and it's been growing really well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was doing 16 ounce Rhodomonas to 3 quarts of new saltwater but I was having issues with cultures getting too dark and not retaining the red pigment moving forward. I am now using 4 ounces rhodomonas to 4 quarts of new saltwater.

How long have you been using F2 from Mercer of Montana? I was able to get 5-6 weeks before my culture started to struggle.

I'll post a new update clip from today here after I finish packing orders.

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing 16 ounce Rhodomonas to 3 quarts of new saltwater but I was having issues with cultures getting too dark and not retaining the red pigment moving forward. I am now using 4 ounces rhodomonas to 4 quarts of new saltwater.

How long have you been using F2 from Mercer of Montana? I was able to get 5-6 weeks before my culture started to struggle.

I'll post a new update clip from today here after I finish packing orders.
I've only been doing it a few weeks. I'm waiting for a response from the guy I bought it from to see what fertilizer he's using. He's been growing it a while.
Fritz looks like it recommends 1mL per gallon, both parts combined. So are you doubling their recommended dose? 2mL combined for 1 gallon?
I appreciate the response! It's such a cool phyto.

OP
OP
ReefLegends

ReefLegends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've only been doing it a few weeks. I'm waiting for a response from the guy I bought it from to see what fertilizer he's using. He's been growing it a while.
Fritz looks like it recommends 1mL per gallon, both parts combined. So are you doubling their recommended dose? 2mL combined for 1 gallon?
I appreciate the response! It's such a cool phyto.
I reached out to Taras at Top Shelf Aquatics, who I got it from and he told me to use 2ml of each part for Rhodomonas salina

Stephers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Taras at Top Shelf Aquatics, who I got it from and he told me to use 2ml of each part for Rhodomonas salina
The guy I purchased from says he uses a two part from Coral Hub. So my plan is to switch to a two part, dilute more, and fertilize more. Thanks for your input!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back