Has anyone cultured Rhodomonas salina phytoplanktons?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently culturing Isochrysis and would like to try culturing another species of microalgae.
I think Rhodomonas salina will suit my needs but it's difficult to find any info on people's experience culturing them.
Has anyone cultured Rhodomonas salina before? If you have, can you please tell me what it's been like?
From what little I have read, it seems a relatively hardy species to culture.
Cheers.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're culturing T-iso, it's not harder.
One time my source that I used to culture up T-iso (phycopure copepod blend) actually cultured up rhodomonas instead.

20171221_180902-COLLAGE.jpg

skylernelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to feed or utilize again with Rhodomonas? Taras at top shelf got my interests peaked with Rhodomonas for its color enhancing properties.

If you want another color enhancing one that handles warmer temperatures try Porphyridium cruentum. It’s heavy and likes to clump where it can. It’s a lower light phytoplankton to keep the red color. Too much light and that one will go orangish.

Attachments

• IMG_2609.mov
    8.1 MB
OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to feed or utilize again with Rhodomonas? Taras at top shelf got my interests peaked with Rhodomonas for its color enhancing properties.

If you want another color enhancing one that handles warmer temperatures try Porphyridium cruentum. It’s heavy and likes to clump where it can. It’s a lower light phytoplankton to keep the red color. Too much light and that one will go orangish.
Initially I was planing on using it to feed my parvocalanus crassirostris copepod culture to supplement isochrysis galbana which I currently use but I don't plan on doing that anymore.
Especially after reading that they don't cope too well with the heat. Thanks for the info.
The parvo pods seem to be doing ok with iso alone so far.
I also have a nannochloropsis culture going to dose, to gut load BBS, or to culture other copepods but I might switch that to Tetraselmis.
I couldn't find much info on Porphyridium cruentum but they don't seem all that easy to culture so I don't think I'll be giving it a go for the time being.

skylernelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, a couple others you could grow for your parvo pods is Lheaodactylum tricornutum and Cheatoceros calictrans both are easier to grow then Rhodomonas and isochrysis galbana.

Nate’sTanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you're culturing T-iso, it's not harder.
One time my source that I used to culture up T-iso (phycopure copepod blend) actually cultured up rhodomonas instead.

20171221_180902-COLLAGE.jpg
Were they using just f/2 to culture this? I was wanting to expand my species for culturing and have been curious about red phytoplankton. Also any leads on a source? Cant find many growing it besides scientific spots that want 300 per 30 MLS

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back