Learned a valuable lesson today.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been doing weekly water changes for 6 months with the tank looking great corals happy etc. Then noticed my red bubble tip anemones started uprooting and moving around with several splitting. So I checked salinity was "normal" 1.026 and was like hmm checked my calcium was 380 and my DKH was 7 yikes. So I bought a hydrometer and low and behold my salinity was 1.23! So I checked my calibration of my refractometer and it was off by the same amount.

Lesson of the story is calibrate your refractometer every time you do a water change to avoid this mistake. Thankfully nothing is dead but just unhappy. Will be doing a few water changes a few days apart to get the salinity back in check.

RyanS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been doing weekly water changes for 6 months with the tank looking great corals happy etc. Then noticed my red bubble tip anemones started uprooting and moving around with several splitting. So I checked salinity was "normal" 1.026 and was like hmm checked my calcium was 380 and my DKH was 7 yikes. So I bought a hydrometer and low and behold my salinity was 1.23! So I checked my calibration of my refractometer and it was off by the same amount.

Lesson of the story is calibrate your refractometer every time you do a water change to avoid this mistake. Thankfully nothing is dead but just unhappy. Will be doing a few water changes a few days apart to get the salinity back in check.
Just start adding a little salt daily until it hits your target. wc not needed to get it up.

OP
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem. You need to use a calibration standard at around the value you’re trying to measure. There’s a simple DIY one you can make using table salt and RODI.
Yeah will be buying some solution. For the time being my refractometer was off by what my hydrometer was showing. It should be calabrated pretty close to correct between the two. I'll be buying solution today.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Might need to update this one...

Triple-check before you believe or make any changes to your tank

To...

Triple check before you believe any observations or make any changes to your tank

Nick Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar situation happened to me. But in a different way. I have been using a Hanna Salinity checker. It’s been calibrated once. I check it with a calibrated refractometer and it was matching. But the calibration solution(brightwell) is 2 years old so decided to get a new bottle. I calibrate it with the new bottle and then test the tank water and it reads 39ppt. So I then decided to calibrate the Hanna and that shows 36ppt. I went to the LFS and they read 39ppt. Then I went onto Amazon and bought two over calibration solutions and they read 39ppt.

Don’t know how long the tank has been this way. It could be a year, half a year, a few months. The kicker is that everything is doing well. SPS is incrusting like crazy. Wouldn’t the new SPS coming from a 35ppt system be dead not incrusting in a 39ppt system.

I might make a new thread. Don’t want to hijack this thread.

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same problem. You need to use a calibration standard at around the value you’re trying to measure. There’s a simple DIY one you can make using table salt and RODI.
Calibration solution can also be off. I bought a bottle off Amazon or eBay. Bottle was sealed and well within the expiration date. I forget how much it was off by and the brand but it was for sure off. Now I just test the water I get from my lfs whenever I get a new fish or coral and calibrate off of that. Figure with thousands more invested in livestock and replacing lost water everyday they keep a very close eye on it.

wmwesty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use tap water to calibrate, no salt no reading so should read zero using tap water

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back