Least likely to succeed: How should you NOT pick a fish?

What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

• It’s cute

Votes: 147 37.3%
  • I like the color

Votes: 121 30.7%
  • It’s small

Votes: 95 24.1%
  • Just one more

Votes: 164 41.6%
  • It looks like a celebrity fish (Nemo, Dory, etc.)!

Votes: 185 47.0%
  • Other

Votes: 65 16.5%

• Total voters

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other.
I am planning to get a bigger tank sometime later, so I can get that baby tang for my 3' long tank. It will be fine... I am so sure I will have a new tank in time to move it, fish probably do not grow very fast.

Willhersh34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with the celebrity fish. Think about how many Dory's or Nemo's or even the Moorish Idol are out there where the owner had no idea on the requirements of that particular fish, tank size, feeding requirements, tankmates, etc. Which I think goes with some other stuff like, "Did no research" or "thought it looked cute or cool".

A close second would be the LFS selling you something because, "It should be fine in your tank." That is a far too common occurrence where it turns out to not be fine because the LFS was either more concerned with the sale or didn't have enough info/familiarity to advise the customer properly.

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other. Don’t pick from venders that intersect isn’t for the fish or costumer. like one of r2r sponsors that lie and send fish dead from infections nor do what’s best for fish with special needs.
My Chromis "seem" like their special needs :)

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other.
Just bc your “not reef safe “ fish doesn’t bother your coral doesn’t mean the fish you see that isn’t reef safe will have the same taste palette.
Don’t chance it
image.jpg

wheels 45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a tiger tail sea cucumber named Mr. Pickles. Thought is was a great idea at first because it looked cool. I brought it back to my LFS because it squeezed through the grate of my 32 gallon biocube 3x and into the back chamber.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with the celebrity fish. Think about how many Dory's or Nemo's or even the Moorish Idol are out there where the owner had no idea on the requirements of that particular fish, tank size, feeding requirements, tankmates, etc. Which I think goes with some other stuff like, "Did no research" or "thought it looked cute or cool".

A close second would be the LFS selling you something because, "It should be fine in your tank." That is a far too common occurrence where it turns out to not be fine because the LFS was either more concerned with the sale or didn't have enough info/familiarity to advise the customer properly.
I prefer to never get my advice in this hobby from someone that will financially gain from me taking certain actions.

Charles Zinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the least likelihood to succeed is shopping by price alone. Oh - this store has yellow tangs for $39.99 - so I'll buy one there. However, 'Just one more' is in close second place. The stocking density in a tank (IMHO) directly correlates with disease spread and severity. Much like meningitis in army barracks, or cholera in refugee camps.
Also has an energy effect to compatibility and reactions

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least likely to succeed: What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

Have you ever picked a fish only to regret it later? Have you ever seen someone pick a fish because it’s a certain color or looks like a “celebrity fish”? It may make you cringe when you hear someone say, “Let’s get it, it’s so cute!”, however, you may be the one that thought that you can fit one more fish even though your tank is overcrowded already. What mistakes have you made when picking a fish? Let’s talk about how you should not pick a fish.

MarounCTang.png

Photo by @maroun.c

The Nemo phenomenon has had positive and negative effects on the hobby. Although the impact has faded, invariably there will be other "celebrity" fish in the hobby. Check out this R2R article about the impact of the captive-breeding of Blue Tangs - Paracanthurus hepatus (Dory) has been captive bred. What does this mean for aquarists?

Other: The primary reason is compatibility with current fish stock. Secondary reason would be feeding and space/housing requirements.

Everything else is moot in my opinion. Maybe extreme I know.

Tyquann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time you shouldn't get a fish is because A. you cant take care of it or B. you haven't done any research. other wise go nuts, their is no bad reason to get a fish.

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO “it’s cute” and “I like the color” are probably the best reasons to get a fish, provided you have the means to take care of it. Isn’t that the point of owning fish?

REEF EXCLUSIVE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Chose all options. If a person chooses fish according to the proposed criteria, then he does not understand anything about keeping fish, and usually this will kill the purchased fish in a short time.

When I lived in Russia, tens of thousands of fish, invertebrates and corals passed through our hands. For many years I have struggled with rumors and prejudices about: quarantine, treatment, selection and keeping of fish.
Then I just started recording videos on marine aquaristics (there are several hundred of them now), people tried our methods and they succeeded.
Unfortunately, all my videos are only in Russian so far, but we have already begun work on translating into English.
I hope we will be able to voice them correctly and then you will get the opportunity to receive useful information that will help you understand how to properly and cost-effectively maintain a fish and reef aquarium.

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: I should note I picked other.

Because I own a 40b with 2 clowns and I don't feel like setting up the quarantine tank to add a fish that's never going to get big and beautiful...

Side note, I did set up the quarantine, Midas Blenny incoming! And then back to sadness as I can probably only house two more fish (thinking something in the sand and a purple/pink pseudo).

HeckleFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OMG, some other poor, broke soul. I don't know how I keep my wife between getting back into reefing, along with travel for road races, crits, CX, and occasional track.
She already told me I can't have more tanks than I have bikes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back