Least likely to succeed: How should you NOT pick a fish?

What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

• It’s cute

Votes: 147 37.3%
  • I like the color

Votes: 121 30.7%
  • It’s small

Votes: 95 24.1%
  • Just one more

Votes: 164 41.6%
  • It looks like a celebrity fish (Nemo, Dory, etc.)!

Votes: 185 47.0%
  • Other

Votes: 65 16.5%

• Total voters

Tanglover1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cute fish can kill fishes at a time. It was a small baby when I bought it and now see
Screenshot_20230119-132047_YouTube.jpg

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will tell you what, I walk into a store and they have a baby Tang, my thoughts are always. "I can just transfer them in a few years"
*shakes head*..."just keep walking, just keep walk"

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago, my wife, who is not generally involved with my tank, saw a flame hawkfish while we were walking through a shop. Thought it was cute, with it's weird eyes, perched on the rocks.

I knew that hawks are known shrimp eaters, and I do love my shrimps... but hey, he was small, and my half a dozen skunk cleaners are full grown, been in there for years... it should be OK. Took him home, dropped him in.

He killed ALL of my shrimps, in less than a day. Had to tear the tank apart to catch him, returned him to the shop, got 2 skunk shrimp in trade for him.

Docjpath

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Clarkii clown is a good idea in a reef tank! Then you find out they like to play in the sand and you only have clear water in the morning!
So true, not to mention they grow up to be 5-6 inches of yellow and brown lean mean fighting machines! If I could go back 5 years and actually ready about this “clown” fish, I would never have purchased one, even for my 120 gallon reef tank! Tank bullies!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So true, not to mention they grow up to be 5-6 inches of yellow and brown lean mean fighting machines! If I could go back 5 years and actually ready about this “clown” fish, I would never have purchased one, even for my 120 gallon reef tank! Tank bullies!
Ya mine is the gang leader to a trigger in tank!

scottbapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine even Bullies me!

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chose all options. If a person chooses fish according to the proposed criteria, then he does not understand anything about keeping fish, and usually this will kill the purchased fish in a short time.

When I lived in Russia, tens of thousands of fish, invertebrates and corals passed through our hands. For many years I have struggled with rumors and prejudices about: quarantine, treatment, selection and keeping of fish.
Then I just started recording videos on marine aquaristics (there are several hundred of them now), people tried our methods and they succeeded.
Unfortunately, all my videos are only in Russian so far, but we have already begun work on translating into English.
I hope we will be able to voice them correctly and then you will get the opportunity to receive useful information that will help you understand how to properly and cost-effectively maintain a fish and reef aquarium.
I’m interested - please let me know some details?

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several years ago, my wife, who is not generally involved with my tank, saw a flame hawkfish while we were walking through a shop. Thought it was cute, with it's weird eyes, perched on the rocks.

I knew that hawks are known shrimp eaters, and I do love my shrimps... but hey, he was small, and my half a dozen skunk cleaners are full grown, been in there for years... it should be OK. Took him home, dropped him in.

He killed ALL of my shrimps, in less than a day. Had to tear the tank apart to catch him, returned him to the shop, got 2 skunk shrimp in trade for him.
Oh man my wife is always after one of those - they do look so goofy and engaging. We are quite attached to our small collection of shrimp though - think I will give this a miss even though some people report success . I love Sweeney the cleaner, Pinky the fire shrimp and Bob the Tiger Pistol too much to even think about losing them to a flame hawk murderer!

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least likely to succeed: What are reasons to NOT pick a fish?

Have you ever picked a fish only to regret it later? Have you ever seen someone pick a fish because it’s a certain color or looks like a “celebrity fish”? It may make you cringe when you hear someone say, “Let’s get it, it’s so cute!”, however, you may be the one that thought that you can fit one more fish even though your tank is overcrowded already. What mistakes have you made when picking a fish? Let’s talk about how you should not pick a fish.

MarounCTang.png

Photo by @maroun.c

The Nemo phenomenon has had positive and negative effects on the hobby. Although the impact has faded, invariably there will be other "celebrity" fish in the hobby. Check out this R2R article about the impact of the captive-breeding of Blue Tangs - Paracanthurus hepatus (Dory) has been captive bred. What does this mean for aquarists?
I’ve bought an exotic banded pipefish despite having a lot of aggressive, fast feeders and the current set strong enough for SPS.
I’ve bought a hippo tang because my wife wanted a ‘Dory’. Twice.
I bought a rainbow anemone that grew to the size of a dinner plate in two months, roamed the tank and stung very expensive corals to death because ‘the clown fish needed a home.’
I’ve put numerous incompatible fish in my tank gifted to me by my children who purchased them without knowing anything about them ‘because they looked cool.’
…these experiences taught me a lot.

coolhandcub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, some other poor, broke soul. I don't know how I keep my wife between getting back into reefing, along with travel for road races, crits, CX, and occasional track.
She already told me I can't have more tanks than I have bikes.
I take that as if you want another tank, you get to buy another bike as well! That's the definition of a win-win, brother!!

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm proud to say I never impulse bought a fish.

I was super careful of what to add.

The closest I got was when I added the personatus. It just fell in my lap and I couldn't say now. I already had a larger Bandit, so was a little worried. Actually went in after QT on my birthday. Bandit chased it for a few days then all was fine.

I'd say the biggest no no, is being a fish that will out grow a tank or just be miserable. Say an Acan. Tang in a four foot tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say buying a fish on a whim without any research is the worst way to go. Often ends in disaster since you aren't aware of it's temperament, size, etc.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two types of fishes (or animals) in my tank. Utility or I enjoy the animals, mostly both.
I don’t buy a fish unless I know the species. There are fish I bought withou knowing the exact species but often I can deduce the level and type of care it needs.
Anything else is trouble in waiting.

and buying online and the wrong animal was send. :(

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back