Leather being eaten but how??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luisn17
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Luisn17

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2020
Messages
330
Reaction score
251
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have this leather and has been an issue for me since the start in comparison to my other leathers. It was closed for weeks, will open for a day and close up again. Then today I noticed what seems to be bite marks on the base of it. Which could explain the behavior or opening and closing. The only fish I have are two clowns and a scopa tang. Clean up crew of blue and red crabs and snails. Nothing that I can think which can do such damage. I did see a bristle worm, could he be doing this? None of the other leathers I have have any damage and are doing fine. I did noticed they all closed 2 days ago but figured it was the tang messing with them, most likely something was in the water from whatever is going on. Could be this an infection and the CUC took care of it? I have dip and iodine, should I dip? The amount missing is pretty big.

436432AB-286D-4D17-A8BF-68288093D2E6.jpeg

8AC541AF-F2C0-4005-8212-C39F97E38F73.jpeg
 
Hello,

I have this leather and has been an issue for me since the start in comparison to my other leathers. It was closed for weeks, will open for a day and close up again. Then today I noticed what seems to be bite marks on the base of it. Which could explain the behavior or opening and closing. The only fish I have are two clowns and a scopa tang. Clean up crew of blue and red crabs and snails. Nothing that I can think which can do such damage. I did see a bristle worm, could he be doing this? None of the other leathers I have have any damage and are doing fine. I did noticed they all closed 2 days ago but figured it was the tang messing with them, most likely something was in the water from whatever is going on. Could be this an infection and the CUC took care of it? I have dip and iodine, should I dip? The amount missing is pretty big.

436432AB-286D-4D17-A8BF-68288093D2E6.jpeg

8AC541AF-F2C0-4005-8212-C39F97E38F73.jpeg
This happens once in a while and you have to cut above the rotted area with a sharp razor blade and place back in tank. This is best done in a container of tank water to reduce risk of toxins
Many good videos on you tube showing procedure which is quite easy
 
This happens once in a while and you have to cut above the rotted area with a sharp razor blade and place back in tank. This is best done in a container of tank water to reduce risk of toxins
Many good videos on you tube showing procedure which is quite easy
Ok. Thanks.

I made the cut outside of the tank and made sure it was high enough but not taking too much to good tissue either. Placed it back in the tank, let’s see how long it takes it for it to open up now.
 
Ok. Thanks.

I made the cut outside of the tank and made sure it was high enough but not taking too much to good tissue either. Placed it back in the tank, let’s see how long it takes it for it to open up now.
Should be within 8-12 hours. That was quick- Good job !!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new