Leather coral advice on second head

rmorris_14

😂
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2021
Messages
8,858
Reaction score
40,697
Location
Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got this leather coral and awhile ago it sprouted a second head. I haven’t really done anything about it because 1. I wouldn’t know what to do 2. My tank is a biocube 32, so I’m not looking add a second one in a different location.
Question: if I just leave it, will it cause any problems with the main head?
2. if I wanted to remove it, how would I do so without hurting the main head?
DCBEB197-C248-48DC-B07D-BB1B8251CC18.jpeg

51F159CD-6B47-4704-AB8E-DA71FFE9CE3B.jpeg
 
I’ve got this leather coral and awhile ago it sprouted a second head. I haven’t really done anything about it because 1. I wouldn’t know what to do 2. My tank is a biocube 32, so I’m not looking add a second one in a different location.
Question: if I just leave it, will it cause any problems with the main head?
2. if I wanted to remove it, how would I do so without hurting the main head?
DCBEB197-C248-48DC-B07D-BB1B8251CC18.jpeg

51F159CD-6B47-4704-AB8E-DA71FFE9CE3B.jpeg
1. Leaving it will not cause problems.
2. I would just cut the narrowest point between them and peel the new one off the rock.

Be aware - cutting leather coral can release various toxins - and I would have activated carbon running if you remove it. Good luck
 
E.g. and get bigger
By the way - I would separate it - and try to mount it on a new rock - then see if you can get some credit at your LFS. I can tell you from personal experience - those can grow to be HUGE. (Mine grew to about 1.5 feet long - and 9 -10 inches at the base. I finally had to cut it off - took out the rock, scrubbed it. 2 years later - it started out as a pin-head sized white thing - its now a clone about 8 inches long lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new