leather coral question

KingRobot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the hobby and bought a leather coral about a week ago. The day after putting in my tank the polyps were extended and everything looked good. The last few days though the polyps have been retracted and the coral is kind of slumped over. I've read that leather corals will shed their skin periodically and that the stress caused by introducing them to a new tank can cause a shedding event. Attached are some before and after photos. My question is, is this a shedding event? And if it it is, how long should I wait before I start to get worried?

thumbnail_PXL_20210710_202557669.jpg thumbnail_PXL_20210714_112919695.jpg

OP
OP
K

KingRobot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while it was acclimating in the sand i caught a hermit crab crawling on it. i flicked it off and moved it up on the rock soon after it was done acclimating. could that have been the cause then?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers close up at the first sign of being displeased. I’ve had one close up for a month because it only likes one spot in the tank and I tried to move it.
It is okay, they close and shed as a defense mechanism. Hermit may have been the culprit, or it just didn’t like where it was. Trial and error with these guys, luckily they are near impossible to actually kill.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back