Leather Coral spawning?!

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a look in my tank and my leather coral looks to be spawning!
Tiny perfectly round white spheres/balls being released from it, looks to be hundreds! Main lights been out for hours and only light on is 5% uv/royals on one ai hydra. But can see very slight clouding in the tank and what looks like tiny snow balls about 1.5mm across floating about.

The tanks only got Seahorses and Pipefish, low flow so what are the chances of them growing into coral? How can I improve the chances?

Very excited, never had a softie spawn before!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had a look in my tank and my leather coral looks to be spawning!
Tiny perfectly round white spheres/balls being released from it, looks to be hundreds! Main lights been out for hours and only light on is 5% uv/royals on one ai hydra. But can see very slight clouding in the tank and what looks like tiny snow balls about 1.5mm across floating about.

The tanks only got Seahorses and Pipefish, low flow so what are the chances of them growing into coral? How can I improve the chances?

Very excited, never had a softie spawn before!
Very cool!

How can I improve the chances?
Cross your fingers. If they find the right spot theyll find the right spot.

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@1979fishgeek - Did they start out looking like dandelion puffs while on the coral ? My finger leather started growing these puffs the last few days, but my coral is small so I would be able to notice the balls floating if they were released. It started as one, about a week ago, now I see 5. Been searching all over to try and figure out what they are.

OP
OP
1979fishgeek

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never noticed anything different till I caught it in the act. It was more like it was snowing but in reverse, the little balls were rising from pores in the coral floating up in the water column and getting eaten by other coral/fish. Coolest thing ever!

William Norman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok

I have these.. don't know what they are then. I have looked everywhere.

20170725_173622.jpg

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 48 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back