Leather coral

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this toadstool like a week ago. Looked stressed with a lot of slime, after 3 days it started getting better and starting to open up (not completely). But now I noticed this. What could it be? It hasn't actually opened up completely. But I'm worried that it may be dying? Hopefully not. But what do you guys think. Pictures attached

1464546522287.jpg

1464546553281.jpg

wesamazmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some toadstool takes more days to open, give it more time to be adapted with its place, try to not moving it for different locations
if you can submit image for the full tank so we can imagine its current place within the tank

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about it at all. I do agree they like nice flow and helps also when they close up and clean there skin.
My toadstool closed for near 2 months before after my clowns were trying to host it. It looked terrible so it did and now looks better than ever. From the picture you posted your looks just fine :)

See picture of before and after:
grumpy toadstooljpg.jpg
f0fdd352c79f604d30a811bc40143127.jpg

OP
OP
TioTom

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry about it at all. I do agree they like nice flow and helps also when they close up and clean there skin.
My toadstool closed for near 2 months before after my clowns were trying to host it. It looked terrible so it did and now looks better than ever. From the picture you posted your looks just fine :)

See picture of before and after:
grumpy toadstooljpg.jpg
f0fdd352c79f604d30a811bc40143127.jpg

Awesome thanks. dang yours looks great.! But yeah what I was worried about was the spots. My wife asked if they were dead spots so I started freaking out Haha.

OP
OP
TioTom

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some toadstool takes more days to open, give it more time to be adapted with its place, try to not moving it for different locations
if you can submit image for the full tank so we can imagine its current place within the tank

It was starting to open awesome. But now its showing some patches. That's what I am worried about. I will post pictures later this evening

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can also get patches of white. Post a few pictures. But as I said I would not panic. My lady called my one grumpy. Because it sulked so much lol

OP
OP
TioTom

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can also get patches of white. Post a few pictures. But as I said I would not panic. My lady called my one grumpy. Because it sulked so much lol
Lol that's funny. Why do they do that though ? Ill post pictures right now . heading home already

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't sweat it just yet. They'll go through a shedding period (normally when introduced to new environment). Mine looked sad for about 3 days but bounced back happier than ever. Haven't had it long enough to catch another molt yet. Just make sure it has enough flow to allow the shedding occur.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They molt at different times. Some every 3 or 4 weeks some maybe more often especially if they get sand or dirt on them they will shed. Also you can use a turkey baster to blow off the shedding skin. You could try and place it higher in a better flow or direct flow in a week if there is not much change.But being honest it is pretty hard to kill a toadstool mushroom.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with it at all from what i can see other than sulking. The only tip i could give is maybe switch sides of the tank with it and direct your wave maker a little more at it as they love flow. You could place it at the rock and it will also attached which may make it happier and stand up more as it may feel more secure.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind me asking what you parameters are and also do you run a skimmer ?
From the picture it loooks like you are running a external pump.

OP
OP
TioTom

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind me asking what you parameters are and also do you run a skimmer ?
From the picture it loooks like you are running a external pump.

No problem
Salinity: 1.024
Temp: 76.2
Ph: 8.1
Calcium: 460

I have a hang on back skimmer
Reef octopus HB 100
And a fluvial 306 canister

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your N03 level ? Toadstools like a bit dirtier water. One reason i came up with mine sulking was when i added my fuge my N03 drooped which inturn made him sulk lol how is it looking today ?

OP
OP
TioTom

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your N03 level ? Toadstools like a bit dirtier water. One reason i came up with mine sulking was when i added my fuge my N03 drooped which inturn made him sulk lol how is it looking today ?

So could it be because I am way way over filtrating this water ? Its only in a 30 gallon cube. And my skimmer is rated for 100 gal and I think the filter is for 180 gal

OP
OP
TioTom

TioTom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's what it looks like today.along with a small tyree green toadstool about the size of a quarter. Opened up real nice..but on the new bigger one the polyps are not coming out anymore. It did about 3 days after I put it in. And about a week after that it stopped.

1464721293862.jpg

1464721309760.jpg

1464721323113.jpg

1464721337253.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back