Leaving a newly cycled tank fallow

CDN Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently getting ready to cycle a new tank. I read some posts on here similar to this, but didn't see my question.

Once my tank is cycled (fishless using brightwell xlm and ammonia) how long will it "stay cycled" for without adding fish. I hear about ppl asking if they can ghost feed the tank to keep ammonia levels up. Could I just keep dosing the microbacter quick cycle ammonia to feed bacteria?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I am currently getting ready to cycle a new tank. I read some posts on here similar to this, but didn't see my question.

Once my tank is cycled (fishless using brightwell xlm and ammonia) how long will it "stay cycled" for without adding fish. I hear about ppl asking if they can ghost feed the tank to keep ammonia levels up. Could I just keep dosing the microbacter quick cycle ammonia to feed bacteria?
To complete the cycle and let the bacteria do its thing to break down waste, you want to add a fish or two and feed them. Once your ammonia level is stable, you can add a fish.
Fallow is 45-60 days and offers you no benefit in cycle. The purpose of a cycle is to create bacteria that will be consuming ammonia and nitrite from your livestock, but you have to get the bacteria from somewhere initially. Why is it called a cycle? Because the tank will go through three phases: ammonia will rise and fall, then nitrite will rise and fall even quicker, and lastly nitrate will rise and fall. Once Ammonia and Nitrite read 0 and Nitrate is less than 20ppm, the cycle is complete and livestock can gradually be introduced. The bacteria population will increase with the new bioload, processing waste and converting it to nitrate rapidly. However, it is important to note that overloading the aquarium with too many fish initially can exceed what the bacteria can handle. This is why it is best to add new fish slowly over the next few months. The bacterial levels will adapt if you don't overload the system with too many mouths to feed.
ghost feeding, as we did years ago, we ran to the supermarket, go to the seafood deli counter and ask for one large shrimp. If they sell it with the head, even better. One shrimp will cost about $1. Don't worry if they think you're crazy to buy only one; this is not the first time someone will wonder about your motivations with this hobby.
We're all crazy the day we considered getting into the saltwater hobby !!
Leave the shrimp in the tank for 72 hours. That's it. It may even visibly rot, or envelope in some type of mucous. That's what needs to happen. As the shrimp decays, ammonia is released into the water, and bacteria is growing exponentially, spreading into the substrate. The water may even look a little cloudy, which is totally normal and nothing to be concerned about. After 3 days, remove the shrimp and toss it as Its no longer needed. Test for ammonia and see what it measures. It should read at the very least 1ppm, or higher.
Test the aquarium daily for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate, logging the information on graph paper or perhaps in a spreadsheet or app. The more data points you collect over time will graph the rise and fall of each of these parameters. No livestock of any kind should be placed in the aquarium as long as you have any measurable traces of ammonia or nitrite because these are toxic to fish and invertebrates. Start planning what you'll want to put in your aquarium while you have a few weeks to wait. There's no reason to rush this process. A good solid foundation will benefit your future reef and handle the bioload adequately.
Also - If you are running the system with a sump that has a refugium or Algae Turf Scrubber section, don't add any light or plants because the system is too clean.

OP
OP
CDN Reefing

CDN Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To complete the cycle and let the bacteria do its thing to break down waste, you want to add a fish or two and feed them. Once your ammonia level is stable, you can add a fish.
Fallow is 45-60 days and offers you no benefit in cycle
Thanks for the fast reply. I wad asking as I won't be adding fish for around 4 weeks. It's a long drive to my closest lfs, and cannot make it until then.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the fast reply. I wad asking as I won't be adding fish for around 4 weeks. It's a long drive to my closest lfs, and cannot make it until then.
You'll be ok. I did add to my answer with an option

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back