Leaving my reef for 9 weeks

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just managed to get some research time in Tobago, studying hawksbill turtles. Unfortunately it will be a nine week long expedition.

I have a flatmate who is willing to help out with aquarium maintenance during this time (with some financial encouragement) but I am still rather stressed about it.

What precautions and advice could I provide to limit the risk of something going wrong? :) Although it does seem inevitable something will happen.

The reef is a skimmerless 60 litre nano with an ATO and hang on the back filter. Stocking is a clown and a watchmen goby, I don’t do any dosing.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you leave him some pre made salt water for water change? Or RODI water for top off? You can easily set up an auto feeder for 2 fish.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just managed to get some research time in Tobago, studying hawksbill turtles. Unfortunately it will be a nine week long expedition.

I have a flatmate who is willing to help out with aquarium maintenance during this time (with some financial encouragement) but I am still rather stressed about it.

What precautions and advice could I provide to limit the risk of something going wrong? :) Although it does seem inevitable something will happen.

The reef is a skimmerless 60 litre nano with an ATO and hang on the back filter. Stocking is a clown and a watchmen goby, I don’t do any dosing.

IMPO as long as the ATO is kept up with RODI and feeding once every other day. I'd ask him to do nothing beyond that.

Then you leave 0 room for error almost.

Everything in your tank should survive totally fine unless you have some really needy SPS but from your post it seems like you don't have a big coral stock list.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a mixed reef with corals or just the two fish? You could always invest in a cheap webcam for your tank to keep an eye on it remotely, but I'm not sure what kind of Internet access you'll have on your expedition or if it's even practical.

Agree with the above suggestions.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since he would not know how to check water parameters get some of those simple test strips he can stick in the tank weekly for you to let you know generally the condition of your water week to week.

Peter_in_the_city

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also reach out to a LFS. It would be nice if your flat mate knew you reached out to people you trusted in case they need help with anything. Whenever I leave town, we have someone watch our house, but if something went wrong, they know to call a LFS that has at home aquarium service.

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! Auto feeders a very good idea, over feeding was my main fear, I’ve never had someone not over do it whilst I’m away ahaha.

I’ll definitely get a web cam, although I’ll barely be able to get connection to watch the thing, just having the option would be nice.

Its a mixed reef but all the corals seem to be pretty bulletproof so far.

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since he would not know how to check water parameters get some of those simple test strips he can stick in the tank weekly for you to let you know generally the condition of your water week to week.
yeah true. I think API does some very simple paper strip tests. I’ll try find some of them
You could also reach out to a LFS. It would be nice if your flat mate knew you reached out to people you trusted in case they need help with anything. Whenever I leave town, we have someone watch our house, but if something went wrong, they know to call a LFS that has at home aquarium service.
Nice idea, I’ll give him the number :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just 1 clown, 1 goby and no coral? All they should really need to do is feed lightly, keep it topped off and I'd have them do 3 water changes, once every 2.5 weeks with LFS made water unless they are completely comfortable and reliable to make it themselves correctly.

costaricareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMPO as long as the ATO is kept up with RODI and feeding once every other day. I'd ask him to do nothing beyond that.

Then you leave 0 room for error almost.

Everything in your tank should survive totally fine unless you have some really needy SPS but from your post it seems like you don't have a big coral stock list.
I agree with this. As simple as possible or your flat mate. You might even come back to a great tank where no one has put their hands in for 9 weeks!

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. As simple as possible or your flat mate. You might even come back to a great tank where no one has put their hands in for 9 weeks!
Ahaha good point, my hands are barely ever out of the tank, the corals will probably flourish without the toxins I inadvertently get in the water

Discotu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the thought makes me twitch in stress! Im never away for that long but i do have local friends that are in the hobby that can come by and check on things while i am gone. You should reach out to your local clubs to see if anyone is willing to be an "adviser" or back up if your flat mate runs into any issues.

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the thought makes me twitch in stress! Im never away for that long but i do have local friends that are in the hobby that can come by and check on things while i am gone. You should reach out to your local clubs to see if anyone is willing to be an "adviser" or back up if your flat mate runs into any issues.
Ye man it is rather stressful, especially because I won’t even be able to contact him through text (or at least very irregularly) due to the remote nature of my trip.
I’ll definitely try making contact with some local clubs, thank you :)

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove any mechanical filtration. I concur with the suggestions of light feedings and ATO maintenance. Definitely no water changes! If you are worried about overfeeding just get a small scoop for for portion control. The tank will probably look better when you return. Mine always seems to :)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getcha an Apex and a bunch of $25 Wyze cameras. You can do a lot remotely via your phone.

Im in Destin FL for 2 weeks straight each June. I manage everything with Apex and Wyse thru my phone.

I have a family member come over every 4th day but Im already on top of things with my eyes (Wyze) and the ability to do maintenance (Apex)

OP
OP
Lineatus

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers again. Removing mechanical filters a good idea, would you suggest removing carbon as well?
I’ll definitely have a look at cameras and Apex

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers again. Removing mechanical filters a good idea, would you suggest removing carbon as well?
I’ll definitely have a look at cameras and Apex
Keep the carbon.

Replace it before you leave.

I'd do a nice 25% or larger WC before you leave to just for "peace of mind"

But yeah, just tell you flat mate to almost "do nothing" but re-fill ATO and feed every other day and you should be fine.

Back