Leaving Red Sea Salt

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the Red Sea Coral Pro for about 8 months. I mix 44g at a time(water already at temp) and it lasts about two weeks with AWC. No precipitate or red slime issues. I keep the water circulated and at temperature at all times.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Red Sea blue bucket for about a year now. I switched from NeoMarine because the shorter mixing time and cheaper price. I never noticed anything majorly wrong with Red Sea salt. I do get far more precipitate in the mixing bucket than I ever did with NeoMarine. I recently had an issue with cyano though. I quit carbon dosing due to poor advice I received and soon after got a cyano explosion. What was interesting is that major water changes with the Red Sea salt seemed to be fueling it. I figured this was because I was adding back trace elements that the cyano was consuming, but after reading this post, idk.

Consider that the reason the Red Sea has so much life in it is because the sand and dust of the surrounding deserts are blown into the sea. This fuels algae and phytoplankton explosions at least once a year that in turn feeds the aquatic life. If the salt is drying in the open as stated above by the OP, it is picking up the mineral rich sand/dust. I imagine certain lots collected during the year may have more or less of these minerals. Maybe not a bad thing, idk.

I do plan to switch back to NeoMarine, because of this:

"NēoMarine is manufactured in Brightwell Aquatics’ production facility in Alabama, ensuring that we maintain absolute control over quality; NēoMarine is not outsourced as many competing US-manufactured salts are. Additionally, elements are provided by individual salts (no seawater evaporite is used); this enables us to maintain a consistent formulation and appearance to the finished salt mix at all times. Ingredients are measured using an extremely accurate process, and each batch of NēoMarine is blended in a dry, clean environment."

http://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/neomarinet.php

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Tropic Marin and the CEO told me how they make there salt. Lou said We use pharmaceutical grade raw materials. So it is super clean and devoid of any contaminants.

I found this clip on how they make Red Sea salt.
https://www.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/

The only issue I see it's left out for birds to poop on and the machines get rusted that harvest it... Also there is a plant next to the site and chemicals could leach into the salt but who knows.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to red sea and ask for the process of how they make there salt? I'm skeptical of another company saying they just dehydrate the water and leave all impurities from bird poop, dust, contaminates and just ship as is without any purification process. Plus, how does the other company know that they don't buy pharmaceutical grade components? I don't mind other companies pushing their product but I don't like how they knock another company like they know more about red seas process than anyone else.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to red sea and ask for the process of how they make there salt? I'm skeptical of another company saying they just dehydrate the water and leave all impurities from bird poop, dust, contaminates and just ship as is without any purification process. Plus, how does the other company know that they don't buy pharmaceutical grade components? I don't mind other companies pushing their product but I don't like how they knock another company like they know more about red seas process than anyone else.

I agree with you. I will reach out to Red Sea. Brightwell Aquatics say this:
  • Saltwater evaporite (e.g. dehydrated saltwater, a waste product from conversion of seawater for human drinking. One of the main problems of this kind of salt is that it lies on the desert for months or years open to the atmosphere. It is not uncommon to have a high sand content, as well as bird or reptile droppings in it.)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure brightwell is a good salt but it sounds like a sales ploy to me. I can't imagine red sea doesn't have a purification process for that reason. In all honesty, most salts in the market a good and will provide good results. My main thing was the salt mixed up quickly and clear ready to use in an hour or 2 plus stability batch to batch. I'm sure I can achieve that with most brands today.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure brightwell is a good salt but it sounds like a sales ploy to me. I can't imagine red sea doesn't have a purification process for that reason. In all honesty, most salts in the market a good and will provide good results. My main thing was the salt mixed up quickly and clear ready to use in an hour or 2 plus stability batch to batch. I'm sure I can achieve that with most brands today.

I agree. When I was speaking with the CEO he sounded very convincing. Seems like he knew his stuff. I just sent an inquiry to Red Sea.

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is no sand or bird poop in the ocean or Red Sea itself? I have never pulled chunks of either from a Red Sea bucket, but even if they or other brands had traces of it, dont think 10% water change with minor traces of natural things are going to crash an aquarium. Shrug.

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just gotten my first bucket of TM Pro that I'm going to start using to implement 5 gallon water changes for my tank. Been using Red Sea Coral Pro for about a year now, and everything started off great, but I have had a pretty constant red slime for the last 6 months. Can't say if it's 100% the salt or something else, but it did come on with my last bucket of red sea pro salt.

I personally will say that I've NEVER head any issues with the salt mixing up clean and quick. No residue in my buckets (I rinse after every mix, as I only do 5 gallons at a time for my 29 gallon tank), but no residue issues or anything.

Looking forward to TM Pro from everything I've read, plus I think my corals will like the parameters better. Interesting to find what you hear from Red Sea directly!

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Tropic Marin and the CEO told me how they make there salt. Lou said We use pharmaceutical grade raw materials. So it is super clean and devoid of any contaminants.

I found this clip on how they make Red Sea salt.

The only issue I see it's left out for birds to poop on and the machines get rusted that harvest it... Also there is a plant next to the site and chemicals could leach into the salt but who knows.
So you're saying birds don't poop in the ocean?

I have run both Red Sea salts for years, and while I occasionally get Cyano it has not coincided with use of their salts. I used to help out in an LFS and got to where I could predict within 2 weeks when customers would start having Cyano outbreaks here in Central FL it appears to be a seasonal thing (usually starts showing up in tanks around the same time the algae blooms start getting bad around Lake O)

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying birds don't poop in the ocean?

I have run both Red Sea salts for years, and while I occasionally get Cyano it has not coincided with use of their salts. I used to help out in an LFS and got to where I could predict within 2 weeks when customers would start having Cyano outbreaks here in Central FL it appears to be a seasonal thing (usually starts showing up in tanks around the same time the algae blooms start getting bad around Lake O)

I think there is a difference if a bird poops in the ocean vs. a small fish tank.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've used Red Sea salt(not Pro)for at least 5 years at my work(public aquarium). Never seen anything strange on our ICP tests.
I think we've had good results, but of course I can't say how the results would have been with another brand.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just saying;)

20190102_150806 (1).jpg

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a response back from Red Sea on the manufacturing process:

Thank you for contacting us today, and for your interest in Red Sea Salt.

I have a link to our webpage that includes details regarding the process that Red Sea uses to produce our Red Sea and Coral Pro salt mixes. There is also a video showing more details about the process. Regarding how sand and other impurities are removed from the final salt product, this is taken directly from our website:

“From the pristine waters of the Red Sea, seawater is taken and transferred through a number of shallow ponds undergoing a natural evaporation process under the dry heat of the desert sun.

In the first pond, the seawater evaporates from its natural salinity level of 40 ppt to a salinity of approximately 250 ppt, removing all of the calcium and heavy metals from the water in the process. In subsequent ponds, further evaporation leads to the formation of sodium chloride crystals leaving other ions such as magnesium and potassium, in concentrated brine. At the end of the evaporation process, this brine is drained away. The remaining crystals of raw sodium chloride undergo a proprietary process of washing and drying to remove organic and any other impurities.

The end result is pure, white, food grade crystals of sodium chloride that comprises 47 of the other elements which are naturally present in the Red Sea. This element- enriched sodium chloride forms the basis for both of Red Sea’s salts mixes and provides a blend of science and nature with the living reef in every harvested grain.
Free from excessive levels of heavy metals or organics, this sodium chloride, with its natural array of minor and trace elements represents over 72% of the contents of Red Sea Salts delivering a level of quality and homogeneity almost impossible to match artificially.”

Another tool that Red Sea provides customers is MyBatch. All of our salt is run through strict Quality Control, and parameters are recorded for each batch before leaving our salt factories. By typing in the batch number for the salt mix purchased on MyBatch the customer is able to receive the tested parameters of that specific batch of salt as it had left our factory. I have the link for the MyBatch tool if you would like to check it out.

https://www.redseafish.com/my-batch/

If you have any additional questions, we are happy to help.

Best Regards,
Ariel Elliott
Customer Service
Red Sea North America

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back