OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I supposed this could be caused by conditions other than the poor quality salt.
- Metals (high iron) in the water reacting to the salt.
- Salt that is old or exposed to moisture.
- Vitamins or additives added to salt by manufacturer at to high a ratio.
- Tainted salt mix. Some additives turn water yellow when dosing, perhaps the salt was exposed.

I used a RODI system with 3 DI sections. Salt is never old unless its old when it ships to me. So I dont know

Zohar78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/quantum-usa-sps-reef-macro-probiotic-salt.html

Has anyone tried this?

QUANTUM USA SPS REEF MACRO PROBIOTIC SALT

This salt contains natural macrobiotics, probiotics as well as vitamin precursors which help to improve mineral content, promote beneficial bacteria growth & enhance fish vitality.
The foundation of this salt is sodium chloride which is sourced from the pristine natural seawater located in South Australia.
Natural seawater contains over 70 elements and provides the sodium chloride for our SPS Macro Probiotic along with our FOWLR Macro Probiotic, LPS Macro Probiotic & Mixed Macro Probiotic Salts.
After years of scientific research as well as enthusiast feedback, we have tweaked both element & compound concentrations to provide you with a salt that is optimized to help enhance fish health & vitality in SPS Reef environments.

i went monday to pick up some tropic marin pro salt because aquarium specialty had it on sale. and he told me about the quantum salt i ended up picking up the https://quantumusa.us/product/mixed-macro-probiotic-salt/
hopefully this weekend ill finish the plumbing on my 130 and will be using it to start the 130g off.. if i do. ill post the parameters. will probably try a 5 gallon bucket to see how it mixes (check parameters, clarity, any grime/crude left after mix) and the big tank. ill try to remember to time it to see how long it will tack to clear up.
picked up a box that does 158g for 71 after 8% tax. supposedly the salt uses a combination of dehydration and synthetic to create it. kinda sounds like red sea. hope i dont have to get a second box.. tank is a 130 oceanic with triton 44 triger sump. heh.

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a RODI system with 3 DI sections. Salt is never old unless its old when it ships to me. So I dont know

Same here. 7 stage RODI, brand new mixing tubs (55 gal poly drums), salt was just ordered a month prior, mixed one big bucket of Tropic Pro (~3-4 fills of the drum, so around 175 gallons since I dont fill the drum to the brim), no precip at all over the month I was doing that. Mixed the first batch (~22 cups) of red sea, boom precipitate. Mine is white rather than yellow though, but there's that 'channel' on the bottom of the drums and it's filled with precip. Aimed my power head at it and it doesn't remix in. After watching the BRS salt precip video a month or so back I'm not surprised though, Tropic Pro was the only one they used that mixed out almost perfectly clear every time. Brightwell was pretty close.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. 7 stage RODI, brand new mixing tubs (55 gal poly drums), salt was just ordered a month prior, mixed one big bucket of Tropic Pro (~3-4 fills of the drum, so around 175 gallons since I dont fill the drum to the brim), no precip at all over the month I was doing that. Mixed the first batch (~22 cups) of red sea, boom precipitate. Mine is white rather than yellow though, but there's that 'channel' on the bottom of the drums and it's filled with precip. Aimed my power head at it and it doesn't remix in. After watching the BRS salt precip video a month or so back I'm not surprised though, Tropic Pro was the only one they used that mixed out almost perfectly clear every time. Brightwell was pretty close.

Im debating on going with Brightwell. Tropic pro seems nice but a few local guys in my area had RTN after using it for a long time. They think it was excessive nutrients. IDK

Butuz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My philosophy is simple. If something is working, don't let the great get in the way of good. Red Sea Coral Pro is working fine for me. May or may not be the best salt out there, doesnt matter. Downside of messing with changes far outweighs any trivial potential gains of switching, so sticking to whats working for me. Reading and watching plenty of reefers crash chasing the “better” is enough for me to stick to my approach.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
iVE HEARD A LOT OF GOOD ABOUT TROPIC MARIN

I still continue to use Red sea Pro in my large tank. Aquaforest in my 93 cube and fritz pro in my drop off tank. The new Big beast is going to be under reef Crystals to start with as I want the higher alk up front so I don't have to battle to elevate it

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Both Red Sea blue and black for the first year no difference when in switched, they went to RC because it was cheaper didn’t see a difference finally landed on IO still no difference my last batch was Red Sea because my LFS didn’t have IO didn’t see a difference back to IO all my corals look the Same! Why is this even a debate seriously

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My philosophy is simple. If something is working, don't let the great get in the way of good. Red Sea Coral Pro is working fine for me. May or may not be the best salt out there, doesnt matter. Downside of messing with changes far outweighs any trivial potential gains of switching, so sticking to whats working for me. Reading and watching plenty of reefers crash chasing the “better” is enough for me to stick to my approach.

This is true. I did not realize switching salt can be a big deal? I guess you could get a decline if the new salt is not up to par. I guess I'm chasing the better. If I change salt would things improve? Maybe I should just keep the corse .

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
86955F82-6D54-4078-BEAD-26F328E58883.jpeg
I’ve been using Red Sea Coral Pro for the last five years, switched once to reef crystals in a pinch.
Have not had any issues in my mixed reef tank. I run the Red Sea Recipe for a Mixed tanked with no variances
Other than Red Sea trace colors ( I may be under dosing those)
No problems at all and I’m extremely happy with all of it
So I wonder what the problems are or maybe I’ve just been lucky?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read many comments about ppl using RS pro salt and having residue. I’ve been using coral pro for a long time and never had such an issue. I am switching from coral pro to another salt (still deciding). Reason I’m switching is due to high alk. My alk gets up to 13.5. When I get fish or corals from others, their tanks are always at around 8.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Both Red Sea blue and black for the first year no difference when in switched, they went to RC because it was cheaper didn’t see a difference finally landed on IO still no difference my last batch was Red Sea because my LFS didn’t have IO didn’t see a difference back to IO all my corals look the Same! Why is this even a debate seriously

Well, The reason why I don't use Reef Crystals is due to the ALK/DKH #. It's to high. I use the RS Blue bucket because it's around 8dkh. There is always reason for debate in this hobby ;)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank seems to eat alk for breakfast, so reef crystals work great for me lol

I’m trying to find it... there is another salt comparison, besides the BRS one, that was done recently and was very informative.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank seems to eat alk for breakfast, so reef crystals work great for me lol

I’m trying to find it... there is another salt comparison, besides the BRS one, that was done recently and was very informative.

I hope you find that comparison ;)

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, The reason why I don't use Reef Crystals is due to the ALK/DKH #. It's to high. I use the RS Blue bucket because it's around 8dkh. There is always reason for debate in this hobby ;)

How much water are you changing to cause a huge difference in those numbers ? I have done 30g The most and I have about 80-90 gallon of water and it’s barely noticeable the difference in my tanks Kh, but I guess every tank is different, my whole point was I have used several and mixed them in between in the past 4 years and I haven’t seen a difference in my corals

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water are you changing to cause a huge difference in those numbers ? I have done 30g The most and I have about 80-90 gallon of water and it’s barely noticeable the difference in my tanks Kh, but I guess every tank is different, my whole point was I have used several and mixed them in between in the past 4 years and I haven’t seen a difference in my corals

I do 20% on my 120g. I did notice a temp raise in my alk when using RC. So I opt to get salt closer to my alk #. Stability is key

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm switching back to Instant Ocean...... from other things I've read it's tried and true, plus I use a cal rx. Maybe I'll have to trim and throw away less coral? Should be interesting to see what affects there are if any.

-g

S&SReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using live aquaria salt with great results. I like that the alk typically is between 8 and 9, I used to run RC but the alk mixed higher and caused too much swing during water changes. I try to keep my tank around 8.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using live aquaria salt with great results. I like that the alk typically is between 8 and 9, I used to run RC but the alk mixed higher and caused too much swing during water changes. I try to keep my tank around 8.

I would not mind switching to LiveAquaria Professional Reef Salt but I have a lot of sps and worried if I switch it will cause issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back