Leaving Red Sea Salt

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mind switching to LiveAquaria Professional Reef Salt but I have a lot of sps and worried if I switch it will cause issues.

If you want to switch salts you can blend the two salts at first and then gradually increase the percentage of the new one.
I do this when I want to try a new salt.
Right now I'm using Coral Pro (and am very happy with it).
But I like the idea of a completely synthetic salt and so I'm transitioning to a trial of hw-Marinemix; time will tell if I like it enough to stay with it, or switch back.
Differences in alk and other components of salt compared to your tank water aren't particularly important if you limit your water changes to 5% at a time.

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Reefers!

I have been using Red Sea Salt for 6 months now coming from Reef Crystals. Why I left Reef Crystals was due to the high ALK and trying to keep my tank stable when doing water changes.

Since I started using Red Sea Salt many of my corals have been declining and I got an outbreak of red slime algae. Could the coral declining be the issue of Red Sea? Maybe or maybe not. Could the red slime be because of it? Maybe or maybe not but I did some research and found people that start Red Sea salt seem to have red slime outbreaks.

I was speaking on the phone with a CEO of another salt manufacture. He enlightened me on Red Seas salt harvesting process. He said it's the worst and cheapest way to get salt. It's left out in the desert for months and who knows what contaminants get into the salt. Also, the salt is made for many other things and Red Sea purchases it from them Dirt Cheap. Then turns around and charges a premium. In his opinion, it's one of the worst salts and they are just good at marketing. Now as he sells other salts I was a bit skeptical.

After I did some DD. I found where they manufacture the salt. It's near the red sea and it's left to dry out. It's also subcontracted and Red Sea buys let's say leftovers. After looking into this it seems he's right. I will be discontinuing using Red Sea Salt.

This is not to bash Red Sea salt or say it's bad salt. I'm just looking to go another route.

I keep my alk around 8-8.5 and my calc around 400. Do you think Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt would be a good one to get? If I do the non-pro then the alk is 9-10 but the non pro is in the 7 so I guess its what way I want my alk to swing? Do I just buffer it before the change or do the change and then adjust?

Thanks

reefaroo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby after many years ago. I am currently using Red Sea Reed and am happy with it. I have a 12 gallon all in one. I had a problem with red slime. Not too bad. I got a Lifeguard reactor and the slime went away. Not saying that is the answer just interesting.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using RS blue bucket for almost 2 years in my 425xl. Can’t say I loved or hated it. Water was never as clear as when I used TM and I always had a brown residue in my mixing container.The last six months I had the red slime & hair algae. After going to RAP in Orlando and sitting in a discussion with Dr Tim, I decided to switch back to TM pro. Have done 2 water changes & so far everything looks good.

Dennco2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use EOMD salt and have great luck with it.... My lawn guy uses it too and we both frequently have to frag and sell or trade to our LFS.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched to the RS blue bucket and discontinued the Pro salt. Will see where this takes me...

corky1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at ROP and sat in on Dr Tim’s speech and he Red Sea salt is real reef salt that it has a lot of nutrients in it so I’ve switched to R/C because I’ve had a lot of algae not cynicism!
Hello, Reefers!

I have been using Red Sea Salt for 6 months now coming from Reef Crystals. Why I left Reef Crystals was due to the high ALK and trying to keep my tank stable when doing water changes.

Since I started using Red Sea Salt many of my corals have been declining and I got an outbreak of red slime algae. Could the coral declining be the issue of Red Sea? Maybe or maybe not. Could the red slime be because of it? Maybe or maybe not but I did some research and found people that start Red Sea salt seem to have red slime outbreaks.

I was speaking on the phone with a CEO of another salt manufacture. He enlightened me on Red Seas salt harvesting process. He said it's the worst and cheapest way to get salt. It's left out in the desert for months and who knows what contaminants get into the salt. Also, the salt is made for many other things and Red Sea purchases it from them Dirt Cheap. Then turns around and charges a premium. In his opinion, it's one of the worst salts and they are just good at marketing. Now as he sells other salts I was a bit skeptical.

After I did some DD. I found where they manufacture the salt. It's near the red sea and it's left to dry out. It's also subcontracted and Red Sea buys let's say leftovers. After looking into this it seems he's right. I will be discontinuing using Red Sea Salt.

This is not to bash Red Sea salt or say it's bad salt. I'm just looking to go another route.

I keep my alk around 8-8.5 and my calc around 400. Do you think Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt would be a good one to get? If I do the non-pro then the alk is 9-10 but the non pro is in the 7 so I guess its what way I want my alk to swing? Do I just buffer it before the change or do the change and then adjust?

Thanks

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned then contact them like you have the others and just ask them! Then let us know what they had to say.

I will shoot them a message. I wonder who makes their salt. Fritz seems like it but who knows.

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at ROP and sat in on Dr Tim’s speech and he Red Sea salt is real reef salt that it has a lot of nutrients in it so I’ve switched to R/C because I’ve had a lot of algae not cynicism!

I was in that talk too..struggling with hair algae and previous to that red stuff growing on live rock. Went back to TMP. On my second water change. So far so good [emoji4]

twistedfinn967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will shoot them a message. I wonder who makes their salt. Fritz seems like it but who knows.
It has been rumored that LA is just re-branded Fritz but I've never heard of this being confirmed. I'd like to know for sure but as long as I get the results I'm looking for it really doesn't matter.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been rumored that LA is just re-branded Fritz but I've never heard of this being confirmed. I'd like to know for sure but as long as I get the results I'm looking for it really doesn't matter.

Well the packaging is exactly the same and the stated parameters are identical to Fritz

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I heard Fritz many times. Im waiting on a response for LA. I also read Fritz had some issues with the salt. I wonder if that QC is back on track.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from LA: So Fritz is the manufacturer. The price of the salt seems reasonable for Fritz. Maybe I’ll switch to LA salt.

Thank you for your email and inquiry with LiveAquaria. Our salt looks to be manufactured by Fritz Industries. We've been using this salt mix for years at our aquaculture facility but recently started selling it to the general public earlier last year. Results for the water parameters of the mix will vary depending on the target salinity and can be used for a variety of different saltwater tanks types.

Salinity: 1.020-1.026 (28-35PPT)
Calcium : 400-450 PPM
Magnesium: 1,350-1,450 PPM
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.5dKH
Strontium: around 9 PPM
Potassium: around 400 PPM

Thank you for choosing LiveAquaria for your live aquatic needs. You are a valued customer and we look forward to hearing from you in the future.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, Reefers!

Thanks

I have a feeling I know who this CEO was. :/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back