led /coral question

billblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many watts is recommended for growing softies.i have 77 led watts in a 8 gallon cube.how will theses specs work with soft and or hard corals.also how will it affect coralin growth?thankyou for reading

robsreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
77w wow that's a lot I think u can grow just about whatever you want

Sent from my LG-P999 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how many watts is recommended for growing softies.i have 77 led watts in a 8 gallon cube.how will theses specs work with soft and or hard corals.also how will it affect coralin growth?thankyou for reading

What color are the LEDs? That is an awful lot of watts, I hope you have a system that you can dim.

Dana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting a screen over the tank to diffuse the light for a couple of weeks. Also cut back on the number of hours you leave the whites on. Work the tank up to the lighting slowly

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White but tank doesn't seem overly lit or anything

Is it actually 77 watts or is it rated equivalent to 77 watts of florescent. This could be the case. 77 watts of LED could light a 100 gallon tank just fine. If I may, I would like to suggest you need about 2 to 3 blues to each white. It is about light color as much as it is about power. Light color is rated in Kevins. So when you see posts about things like "8000K, 3200K, 8000K", etc, that is what they are referring to. Many light bulbs or LEDs are rated in Kevins, but not all are. Also, be aware that it is a self policing industry and not all the Kevin ratings on the packages are equal, sometimes their marketers take some very creative liberties on the packages.

(I have been on the other end of the board meeting table from marketing in a different industry in the engineering corner, and I can assure you creative marketing claims have fired many a heated debate. I my case it was clear marketing wasn't interested in if engineering could support or back up what they wanted to claim to better move product towards a targeted demographics.)

Last edited:
Back