LED Driver/Dimmer Help

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kind of jumped in to the DiY LED game as I am in search of fill lighting for a nano tank and I can't find anything suitable already on the market. Since I've been intrigued by the DiY LED thing for a while now, and I'd like to customize the LED choices to compliment my main lighting, I figured why not. Plus, I found some cheap PCBs on AliE that fit what I was looking for, and some cheap Amazon LEDs that fit the bill. This is a niche "just for fun" project for me. I won't say that money is no object, but I'm not opposed to spending a bit to get just what I want.

The plan is to make 2 small strip lights, with six 3w LEDs in each strip. Since I won't need to dim or control them separately, I figured I'd just daisy chain the strips. To the driver and dimmer, it would appear as a single strip with twelve 3w LEDs. I've found several cheaper drivers that would work, some with manual external 0-10v dimmer control, but I'd like to find something a bit more advanced. Some sort of timer, ramping and dimming functionality would be ideal. I don't really care if it's wifi, bluetooth or manual push button programming as long as it works.

I know there has to be something out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but being new to all of this and still in the learning/research phase, I don't know all the places to look and/or what I'm actually looking for (terminology, etc). This seems a pretty simple straightforward build, especially considering some of the elaborate stuff I've seen in my searching here, so I figured I'd just ask for input and save myself some more gray hair. :D

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an example of the LEDs I plan to use. I'll be using a mix of 410nm, 440nm and 470nm.

And a cheap driver I found that would work, albeit without any control or dimming.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

What are you attaching the beads to? And how are you attaching the beads?

I'm more a DIY fixer and not so much starting from scratch....but interested in what you end up doing.

OP
OP
Hooz

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an example of the LEDs I plan to use. I'll be using a mix of 410nm, 440nm and 470nm.

And a cheap driver I found that would work, albeit without any control or dimming.

How do you know if the LEDS themselves are dimmable? Are all diodes themselves essentially dimmable and it’s only a driver question?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kind of jumped in to the DiY LED game as I am in search of fill lighting for a nano tank and I can't find anything suitable already on the market. Since I've been intrigued by the DiY LED thing for a while now, and I'd like to customize the LED choices to compliment my main lighting, I figured why not. Plus, I found some cheap PCBs on AliE that fit what I was looking for, and some cheap Amazon LEDs that fit the bill. This is a niche "just for fun" project for me. I won't say that money is no object, but I'm not opposed to spending a bit to get just what I want.

The plan is to make 2 small strip lights, with six 3w LEDs in each strip. Since I won't need to dim or control them separately, I figured I'd just daisy chain the strips. To the driver and dimmer, it would appear as a single strip with twelve 3w LEDs. I've found several cheaper drivers that would work, some with manual external 0-10v dimmer control, but I'd like to find something a bit more advanced. Some sort of timer, ramping and dimming functionality would be ideal. I don't really care if it's wifi, bluetooth or manual push button programming as long as it works.

I know there has to be something out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but being new to all of this and still in the learning/research phase, I don't know all the places to look and/or what I'm actually looking for (terminology, etc). This seems a pretty simple straightforward build, especially considering some of the elaborate stuff I've seen in my searching here, so I figured I'd just ask for input and save myself some more gray hair. :D
If you want cheap you may want to consider going constant voltage not constant current.
Many cheap controllers available

But for ease ldd-hw dc/dc drivers.
Needs to coupled to a switching power supply.

These are dimmed using 5v pwm

TC-420 is a cheap controller. Out of the box it us used for constant voltage strips with a 24v max power supply.
A bit if easy soldering and it can control Meanwell ldd's or any 5v pwm capable driver.

0-10v dimming is, personally, the dumbest way to dim LEDs
Unfortunately it is
an industry standard for many things.

If your strips are 6 diodes in series adding a resistor to the end for a constant voltage strip is cheap and easy.
Only catch is all diodes need to be the same per strip
V(f) at a desired current can't exceed 24v total.

As you initially planned with everything in series and no dimming the driver needs to be capable of about 72v
More than likely the driver you linked would not run them at a decent current IF they lit at all.

Even if just the blues....3.4v @ 500mA approx x 6 x 3 = 61.2V.
Driver you linked can't output that voltage ..
Violets and the like are usually a higher V(f) like around 4V making the problem worse.
4*6 = 24 + 6*3.4*2 = 64 8

Hmm just checked the 410's and they are listed at 3.4v.... odd.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for "fun..
ledcv.JPG

Power supply would be 24V 75-100W (rough estimate)

Add any cheap led strip controller.. and 24v power supply..

6A per channel capable.. and you are only running at approx .5A channel
12.2W @24V

"Tricks"
1) As you decrease the Ohms you increase the current to the LEDS (@24V, see special case below). Too low though and there life shortens. More voltage across the diodes the more current it draws.
At 24V and 1 Ohm current is 1A across the diodes
2) Using a variable voltage power supply (Many open frame Meanwells will allow this) you increase efficiency.
Adjust voltage to say 22V and you can use 1 Ohm 1/2W resistors.
Waste heat goes from 4.2W to .75W
  • together, all resistors dissipate 750 mW
together, the diodes dissipate 32400 mW
total power dissipated by the array is 33150 mW

all ESTIMATES of course....

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back