Sump LED door activated lights

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for somebody who has installed some led lights, strips or otherwise, with a switch that’s controlled by the door opening and closing.
I can easily find a kit on Amazon labeled for gun safes… does exactly what I’m looking for…. But I want a colored LED, not white. Which apparently is asking a lot… maybe im just not seeing it, I dunno.
I think I could piece it together by just installing a door switch inline with the lights, but am hoping somebody has a solution to help me out with a kit already set up for this. Thanks

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a specific color or a color controllable light?

And just out of curiosity, why colored LEDs vs white light?

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick search but these kits might work for you, they rely on a motion sensor versus a door switch but would most likely work in your application.

GIPOYENT 16.4FT Motion Sensor Light Strip, App and Remote Program Control Led Lights for Bed, Motion Activated LED Light Strip, Kitchen Cabinet Lights with USB RGB LED Strip Light,for Corridors https://a.co/d/8HaDHYs

Or

8 PCS RGB Under Cabinet Lighting Kit, 12v Motion Sensor LED Light Strip with Remote, ETL Listed Power Adapter, Music Sync Color Changing Led Lights for Shelves, Cabinet, Counter, Bookcase, 13ft https://a.co/d/cYF1ikX

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you looking for a specific color or a color controllable light?

And just out of curiosity, why colored LEDs vs white light?
Purely aesthetics… I could do white… but blue or orange would help me feel better about the 10s of thousands of dollars Iv spent on this hobby.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a quick search but these kits might work for you, they rely on a motion sensor versus a door switch but would most likely work in your application.

GIPOYENT 16.4FT Motion Sensor Light Strip, App and Remote Program Control Led Lights for Bed, Motion Activated LED Light Strip, Kitchen Cabinet Lights with USB RGB LED Strip Light,for Corridors https://a.co/d/8HaDHYs

Or

8 PCS RGB Under Cabinet Lighting Kit, 12v Motion Sensor LED Light Strip with Remote, ETL Listed Power Adapter, Music Sync Color Changing Led Lights for Shelves, Cabinet, Counter, Bookcase, 13ft https://a.co/d/cYF1ikX
I saw those as well. My only concern with the motion activated is the actual motion. I wouldn’t want it picking up on my skimmer or water running through my filter socks… I don’t know how sensitive it is, but I would think there’s that possibility

n1ng

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the diy route. I rigged up my doors with an led strip, relay, and micro switches (don't think the relay is necessary). If I were to do it again I would buy a kit - cleaner and less work (cutting and soldering led strips is a pain).

I went with switches thinking that the motion sensor would be triggered by motion in in the sump - probably can be circumvented with the correct placement.

My Amazon search only has motion sensing led kits too.

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand the concern for the motion of equipment and such setting off the sensor. Part of the risk could be mitigated by sensor placement. You could also mask part of the sensor if it is seeing a piece of equipment. When I have installed sensors in rooms with moving equipment we would put plastic shields over part of the sensor to keep it from seeing the equipment. We would test this with just some making tape to define the field we needed to block.

I agree, ideally a true door switch would be the most foolproof option but with such a niche use case scenario I don't think you are going to find a suitable pre-made kit easily.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the diy route. I rigged up my doors with an led strip, relay, and micro switches (don't think the relay is necessary). If I were to do it again I would buy a kit - cleaner and less work (cutting and soldering led strips is a pain).

I went with switches thinking that the motion sensor would be triggered by motion in in the sump - probably can be circumvented with the correct placement.

My Amazon search only has motion sensing led kits too.
I found the one with the door switch, it’s a kit and labeled for gun safes. But could be used for anything, and it’s litterally exactly what I am looking for I believe, I just a color LED, all I can find as far as that kit goes is white lights… which would work… but like I mentioned in a separate comment… blue or orange LEDs would make me feel just that much better about the 10s of thousands Iv put into this hobby lol.
And yea I mentioned the motion as well. I don’t know how sensitive it is but I wouldn’t want it picking up on my skimmer bubbles or water moving through my filter socks.

I don’t want to soldier anything either, but don’t know how difficult it would be to install a door switch in line with the power supply.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand the concern for the motion of equipment and such setting off the sensor. Part of the risk could be mitigated by sensor placement. You could also mask part of the sensor if it is seeing a piece of equipment. When I have installed sensors in rooms with moving equipment we would put plastic shields over part of the sensor to keep it from seeing the equipment. We would test this with just some making tape to define the field we needed to block.

I agree, ideally a true door switch would be the most foolproof option but with such a niche use case scenario I don't think you are going to find a suitable pre-made kit easily.
It just seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult to find. The application and use would have a pretty far reach I would think… desk drawers, cabinets, pantry’s, etc… this is obviously not anything important, I just couldn’t find what I was looking for and figured I’m not the first reefer to want decorative lights in their sump.

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to go semi-diy you could use a switch like this that is designed to fit into most standard 12v systems.

(Please bear in mind this is an example and i am not recommending this exact switch and you would have to verify actual fitment on the light kit you buy)

Sensky BS011 12v 24v DC 3A Automatic Cabinet Sensor Switch IR Sensor Switch for Low Voltage LED Cabinet Light, Strip Light, Rigid Light Bar https://a.co/d/dogi7rF

Lochekey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems like it shouldn’t be too difficult to find. The application and use would have a pretty far reach I would think… desk drawers, cabinets, pantry’s, etc… this is obviously not anything important, I just couldn’t find what I was looking for and figured I’m not the first reefer to want decorative lights in their sump.
I say this is "niche" because the majority of time when we install lights in cabinets/drawers/closets they are white lights just meant to illuminate. For display cabinets and such where we use colored lights you are generally not using a door switch for control. Trying to combine these different use case scenarios, while not unheard of, is not common and as such there is not ready made kits and as such custom made systems are usually employed.

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to go semi-diy you could use a switch like this that is designed to fit into most standard 12v systems.

(Please bear in mind this is an example and i am not recommending this exact switch and you would have to verify actual fitment on the light kit you buy)

Sensky BS011 12v 24v DC 3A Automatic Cabinet Sensor Switch IR Sensor Switch for Low Voltage LED Cabinet Light, Strip Light, Rigid Light Bar https://a.co/d/dogi7rF
This is brilliant. Put it close enough to the door and the sensor can’t grab anything else going on nearby. Now I would think the remainder should be as simple as finding lights with that 12 volt connection plug, my Cade has power bars with switches built into the stand so it would be cake from there. Well done sir

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say this is "niche" because the majority of time when we install lights in cabinets/drawers/closets they are white lights just meant to illuminate. For display cabinets and such where we use colored lights you are generally not using a door switch for control. Trying to combine these different use case scenarios, while not unheard of, is not common and as such there is not ready made kits and as such custom made systems are usually employed.
You have been fairly invested in this today. Your gonna install them in your sump too, arnt you? Haha

OP
OP
legacy2mj

legacy2mj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say this would work. Just gotta buy the power adapter separate.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have frosted glass doors on my Aquarium Cabinet, been toying with the idea of a motion sensor, turning on blue lights when approaching the Aquarium. Too many projects, sigh. Walmart has a kit that has everything but, the 12Vdc power source for this. Supposedly it’s road proof.

Jim Gomoll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the 3 toggle switch that can be mounted inside the door or outside cabinet to quickly turn on/off lights or equipment. Single switches are available too. Amazon search may point you to a similar ore better solution.
1706890858503.png
similar to this.
1706890691565.png

tomcat01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was actually one of the first things I did. Im pretty heavy into smart home devices so i went with these strips

and 2 of theses

then created an automation that turns the lights on and off when the door is open. If you go this route I recommend looking for something that has "thread" built in it lets the senosors trigger the automation a lot quicker.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%

Back