LED Height Above Water

Kadee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. A friend just tested par on his tank and a lot of the sps in his tank are getting 700-750 par and his tank is stunning.

I really feel like a lot of people have led issues cause their lights are too low and are getting hot spots. I hung my v2 and cranked most channels up. No acclimation(coming from t5's) I just set them up to be similar par to what my t5's were. No issues yet. It's been about 6 days now and only changes I have seen so far are positive.

Hearing from Adam at Battle Corals telling me he runs his LEDs at 100% on all channels was like a duh! moment for me. Why spend that kind of money and not use it? Slow and steady raising of power is what I am doing....

SDboatguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth - 60x18x20 tank- I run 3 hydra 26 HD s 7" for the top of the tank (9" off the water) with 4 ATI T5s retro fitted in a canopy. 1 set of T5(B+) is on for 10hr , the other set(C+) comes on an hour before the LED peak and off an hour after. LEDs are 5 hour ramp up and down with a 4 hour peak- all channels at 100% except white which is at 65% . I have 18 frags and a couple colonies that seem to be adapting well . Most of the frags are from Adam - some growing better than others , but none have bleached or died after getting settled in the tank.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I'd start a thread on how high you guys have your LEDS above the water. I currently have 90 gallon, with 2 Hydra 52s sitting about 6 inches above the water, running at no more than 45% on any channel. I am building a new canopy for my tank, and I am considering brining them up to about 10-11 inches above.

What do you guys do?

This isnt just for the Hydras, I figured it would be a good place for all LEDs out there for everyone to reference.
why have them that high. I rested mine on the top of the tank about 2 inches abouve the water line. If you raise them up you loose light. i went from T5 s resting on my tank to LED s in the same position and my corals really came to life

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update... I have finished the canopy, but due to some rain here today it's not quite finished. Once I get it done I'll get some photos uploaded. I can't wait to get the lights to a higher position. I dry fit them, and it looks like I'm gonna get a more even par throughout the tank. Once I get everything settled in I'm gonna try to find a par meter at a local shop to get the real numbers.

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why have them that high. I rested mine on the top of the tank about 2 inches abouve the water line. If you raise them up you loose light. i went from T5 s resting on my tank to LED s in the same position and my corals really came to life

It seems a lot of the led setups put out an extremely potent light beam vs T5. That's why I started the thread, to see what others are doing. I have found that if I bring the intensity above 45-50% I start to bleach my corals. I'm hoping bringing them up higher will distribute the light better, and allow me to increase the intensity.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Corona light system by Rapid LED. It works pretty well for what I need and it will eventually be connected to a fishbit system. I keep them about 18 inches above my tank to make sure that everything is well lit. I don't know too much about where my light levels should be, but after fighting algae for a long time, I keep my intensity around 70% or lower.
hdr_00029_0.jpg
Screenshot_20170609-194115.png

I am also running 2 Corona's on my 75G for about 9 months now. I am about 14" off the water and my percentages are almost half of yours though; I am slowly trying to ramp everything up a bit more though as I move into some more SPS.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difference in all the LED's fixtures is the spread of light. Some have different reflectors, etc. I have my lights at 100% power 7" off the water, but the spread is real wide.
If there isn't allot of spread on the light, I think you can probably burn up corals pretty quick. With the different types of lights listed in this thread, maybe a chart can be built on
what people like the most for each fixture.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the difference in all the LED's fixtures is the spread of light. Some have different reflectors, etc. I have my lights at 100% power 7" off the water, but the spread is real wide.
If there isn't allot of spread on the light, I think you can probably burn up corals pretty quick. With the different types of lights listed in this thread, maybe a chart can be built on
what people like the most for each fixture.
Great point.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Because better spread, better color blending, less hotspots, more room above tank, less disco, etc.

IMG_0473.JPG

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aero175,
I like the way they are mounted to keep the heat out.

Thanks!

I wanted to make sure I kept as much heat out as possible. I am considering putting some supplemental t5s in the canopy, so I didn't want the hydra 52s to add any heat. I installed the 5 3" pvc drain covers to keep the airflow up, and if need be I have 2 3" fans I could install.

OP
OP
Flux Capacitor

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I have posted here. As some of you have seen I had a problem with my salt level casing my corals to recede from the bottom up. I have that under control now, but due to that I don't have any updates on if raising the lights has helped my tank any. I'll have more in the coming weeks.

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured I'd start a thread on how high you guys have your LEDS above the water. I currently have 90 gallon, with 2 Hydra 52s sitting about 6 inches above the water, running at no more than 45% on any channel. I am building a new canopy for my tank, and I am considering brining them up to about 10-11 inches above.

What do you guys do?

This isnt just for the Hydras, I figured it would be a good place for all LEDs out there for everyone to reference.
I know this is an old thread, but I just started questioning if I put my lights too low or high. Now you got me thinking

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know when my lights are turned up to much cos the polyps close up. ive got a double black box, and it seems the best setting is about 40 % on the blue and minimum on the rest

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know when my lights are turned up to much cos the polyps close up. ive got a double black box, and it seems the best setting is about 40 % on the blue and minimum on the rest

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back