LED Lighting Solution For 180 Gallon Mixed Reef??

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi :)

I'm trying to figure out a lighting solution for my first saltwater mixed reef set up. Let me start out by listing a few parameters of my situation:

-Most likely going to be getting a 180 gallon rimless tank 72x24x24.
-I am pretty set on LED. I just don't want to have to be replacing T5's and also it's hot and electricity is expensive where I live. Lol.
-I'd like to have a dawn-midday-dusk-moonlight timer schedule features.
-I don't need something so powerful corals grow like weeds. Lol. Just something that does it's job. Cost is more of a factor but quality still matters. I was actually going to get the Fluval marine 3.0 48-60 inch light before I decided to try and go for this 180 gallon tank 72 inches long. Before I was planning on getting a 5ft. 100 gallon tank.

My trouble is I am having a hard time figuring out a good solution if I get this larger tank. I don't think I can do ceiling mount with vaulted ceilings. Or can I? And there are no center brackets for shorter lights with legs to sit on top. I don't know of any 72 inch lights? I'm also trying not to spend a ton on them. Would like something more affordable given it comes with the parameters I stated. I personally don't like lights that sit way super high from the tank. But I will work with what I have to. Given all this, what are some good options for me and how to set up? I have read about a lot of certain brands on other threads, but when I try to google the names I am reading I find it hard to actually find models or price or where they are even sold at. Lol.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a serious look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2+. Two of the 32" fixtures at $589 each is certainly more than enough light. I'd even suggest two of the 24" fixtures at $399 with a 9" space at either end and 18" between them would be enough.

They have good solid legs and a system for tying them together to cover the 6' long tank. They make great PAR, have full 24 hour settings, they self adjust every 6 minutes between your hourly settings for smooth transitions. They have 6 channels for the 6 different colors of led and some of them are even 5watts rather than the standard 3 watts and they are all good brands of led.

One last point, Reef Breeders is a sponsor here at R2R and therefore have a forum where you can ask questions and deal with the owner of the company. I've used their fixtures for a long time and their service, although rarely used, has been excellent!

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a serious look at the Reef Breeders Photon V2+. Two of the 32" fixtures at $589 each is certainly more than enough light. I'd even suggest two of the 24" fixtures at $399 with a 9" space at either end and 18" between them would be enough.

They have good solid legs and a system for tying them together to cover the 6' long tank. They make great PAR, have full 24 hour settings, they self adjust every 6 minutes between your hourly settings for smooth transitions. They have 6 channels for the 6 different colors of led and some of them are even 5watts rather than the standard 3 watts and they are all good brands of led.

One last point, Reef Breeders is a sponsor here at R2R and therefore have a forum where you can ask questions and deal with the owner of the company. I've used their fixtures for a long time and their service, although rarely used, has been excellent!

They look like an option. But see how would I set them up with no center bracket in the tank for the legs to sit on? Or would you suggest just crafting my own center bracket if possible? Or just setting it straight on a glass top? I don't know if it is possible to make a center bracket with the glass lids they might just come together at the center with no gap. I'm curious how other people get around this problem my OCD is kicking in. LOL. Or is an attach to the back of the tank mount the only best option for this kind of tank at this length? I would need a 4ft hanger kit to hang from the ceiling with my open ceilings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapest is viparspectra , the fluval lights are very weak.

if you need sunrise sunset you are gonna spend 1000$+ for 180
Dang. Lol. For some reason I really want that sunrise midday sunset moonlight features. I care about aesthetics a lot. I should've also mentioned for lights I don't want that super blue look during the day. Would rather it look natural white and be able to enjoy blues in the evening/at night.

On a side note, I've read a lot of people saying that Fluval light actually still does a decent job. It seems like from my research corals do a pretty good job adapting to the light they have? And often times don't need a super powerful light to be healthy. Of course depending on the specific coral probably. And also my first hand experience is not there yet. LOL. Just all from research I've been doing.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. Lol. For some reason I really want that sunrise midday sunset moonlight features. I care about aesthetics a lot. I should've also mentioned for lights I don't want that super blue look during the day. Would rather it look natural white and be able to enjoy blues in the evening/at night.

On a side note, I've read a lot of people saying that Fluval light actually still does a decent job. It seems like from my research corals do a pretty good job adapting to the light they have? And often times don't need a super powerful light to be healthy. Of course depending on the specific coral probably. And also my first hand experience is not there yet. LOL. Just all from research I've been doing.

The fluval lights would require at least 4 of the largest unit they make to reach the 24" sandbed as well as spread for a 24" wide tank.

Yes I agree that I like the sunrise feature. What about using one fluval unit for sunrise sunset and then using t5s during the day for the actual light source.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluval lights would require at least 4 of the largest unit they make to reach the 24" sandbed as well as spread for a 24" wide tank.

Yes I agree that I like the sunrise feature. What about using one fluval unit for sunrise sunset and then using t5s during the day for the actual light source.
I could maybe do that but would just rather go all LED if I can. I just don't want the hassle of replacing lightbulbs and stuff plus the extra heat. Otherwise I have heard that hybrid lights can be good with LED and T5.

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just realized I missed your comment about that they have a system for hooking them together for a 6ft tank. Lol. So in other words they wouldn't need to set on the glass they can reach all the way across hooked together? I see they also have the hang on back accessories as well so that is an option as well. **edit** I found the link kit too. Pretty cool and innovative.

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could maybe do that but would just rather go all LED if I can. I just don't want the hassle of replacing lightbulbs and stuff plus the extra heat. Otherwise I have heard that hybrid lights can be good with LED and T5.

Replacing bulbs once every 18 months is hardly a hassle when it comes to marine aquariums. Extra heat I understand.

If you want all LEDs its gonna be pricey :)

OP
OP
underthereef

underthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing bulbs once every 18 months is hardly a hassle when it comes to marine aquariums. Extra heat I understand.

If you want all LEDs its gonna be pricey :)
I know it makes it sound funny when you have to do all kinds of other maintenance every week. LOL. I just know even though it's rare I won't want to when the time comes. It seems like LED has better longevity. Something to think about though. It wouldn't kill me to have to replace bulbs once a year or whatever. :D

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back