LED lighting vs t5

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting post I have , 2 x 8 bulb Ati over 8' and 4 x orbit 4' led on each side of the figure- been t5 user for approx 7 years ,... Whent through a led phase Chinese and radions...for approx 1 year.

Advantages on t5 ;

1: 6 months I feel is not realistic To change bulbs +1 on cooling I run 3 fans two clip on and one directional high output shop fan horizontally.i have tested with par meter over the coarse of 9 months both cooled and non cooled. There is definitely a degradation of par on both options but with cooling I get 10months on some bulbs and 12 months on others... With less than 10% drop in par.
2: no mess no fuss, plug and GROW, I'm not sure about the dusk and dawn being a must ..would like to understand why this is so important ?
3; when its time to buy bulbs I always go through the , what about led scenario again... But I have 4 of the Chinese fixtures over my macro sump and they become more yellow as the months pass.
4; there are so many other thing to test and be vigelent about its nice not to worry about lights.... 50% , 60%, up down left right ....
6; no shadowing , this I did notice on led had less growth on lower branches and more growth on top tips with led.

Disadvantages ;

1) I'm 30 deep so , Cant grow almost nothing sps wise 20" down, without dull looking branches.
2) cleaning the -splash guard is a pain.
3) cleaning the bracing is a pain massive par drop if full of salt creep.
4) no shimmer - have one kessil between the two figures and I like the shimmer.
5) growth , I have not experienced this but have read this that led grow sps in tighter branching and t5 more spread out.

If I had to upgrade I would also go with hybrid led's and t5's. Ati fixtures... No doubt I get crisper colors on my sps that are under the kessil.

Consider the factory seconds from ATI if your on a budget ... And consider the led t5 hybrids. Minimum 8 bulb in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay says in the podcast, he replaced 1200 watts of halides, with 1100 watts of LED"s, and that he is running 900 watts off heaters just about 24/7 in the winter to keep the tank around 74. He also said the halides used to to keep it at 78.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem. You don't need 100W of LEDs to equate to the output of 100W of MH.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the problem. You don't need 100W of LEDs to equate to the output of 100W of MH.

I believe he said because of the lack of spread of the LED's , he is having to use
2 rows of 4 Radions....so 8 overall, and actually could use 2 more. He also said he could grow SPS on the sand bed because the Radions reached so deep.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Ocean Revive LEDs over a 225 and if I had it to do over again I would go T5. They say LEDs should last for years without any degradation but that has not been mine or other local reefers experience. I don't know about the high end LEDs but the lower end like I use tend to shift spectrum over time and slowly burn out. I've had to replace the diodes several times over the last few years and have lost many corals until I figured out what was happening. If you go to the Ocean Revive forum you'll find several threads about it with users of other brand LEDs chiming in. I'm considering going T5 now but am finding it hard to spend another $850 on lights after wasting money on these LEDs.
There you go. Ocean Reviv LED sucks big time

Photon_Anarchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s Without a doubt work but are expensive in the long run. If you run them too long and switch them out for a newer brighter bulb you add stress to your coral as it was used to the old bulb.

A true sunrise and sunset is a must. A quality LED fixture does this easily and even provides seasonal variations. A T5 MH Combo works well with sunrise as the MH takes time to ramp up but shut down can stress the fish just like a sudden ON.

My Choice in order

-Quality LED Fixture
-T5/MH
-T5

Note: I would not consider some of the Import Black Box options viable simply because many of their components are not UL/CE listed and introduce electrical risk.

Bill
Can you link some research stating that sunrise and sunset is a must. I've seen a lot of people calling throat a gimmick.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The importance of a natural sunrise and sunset and seasonal variations in terrestrial plants are well documented. Zooxanthellae Algae are much simpler but a natural variation in intensity is most efficient as the mechanism of photosynthesis uses light for several hours not the whole day.

The advantage of a sunrise and sunset saves electricity and given that your are not driving your fixture at 100% for 12 hours it will last longer and produce less heat. In my personal tank I've witnessed fish freak out when the lights suddenly come on or go off. I've even seen a few jump out and try some "Carpet Surfing".

Creating a natural environment is always the best way to go. In the past I've staggered T5 but really prefer the natural on and off my LEDs create not to mention a true moonphase. Here is an interesting article that may help http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

Bill

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go with what looks good to you. Your success or failure with a tank will not be dependent on what type of light you pick if you get well reviewed brands. Look at tank you like and speak with the owners.

I personally got the itch to try something new, I swapped my LEDs for T5 and just hated it. I couldn't get color where I wanted and the light bleed with seating next to the tank was right in my eyes. I used a well respected combo of bulbs, but I just didn't like it. Nothing wrong with that or with people that do. Sucks I wasted so much money but someone got a great deal on a giesmann fixtures at least....

zsuzsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ime playing with leds, i used kessils beatiful to look at (the light is pretty).... couldn't get enough par out of em to grow anything (sps). radions... great color, sexy looking over the tank, fair to midland growth... disco ball effect., t5s... great color unbeatable growth, hmmm... no brainer. now my $700 radions have been reduced to a sunrise/sunset gig (blues only at 20%) they also add some jazz. so they will probably last a decade running at idle, not bad ,ten years for $700. as far as budgeting in reefing.... really, who are you trying to fool, there is no such thing . ya get t5s some reefbrite xho's, and you're done... zsu

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tried leds always used t5's. 60" 6 bulb fixture. I changed dusk dawn bulbs every 12 months. The remaining 4 bulbs I changed out every 18 months because they are only on half the time the dusk dawn bulbs were on. Never had a problem with sps as far as the bulbs go.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore cost factor when determining lights is my general advice. The cost of what you might save over X years is a drop in the pan in this hobby. And that's assuming you never upgrade the LED, which is hard not to do when they are CONSTANTLY updating the fixtures to something better. If you're sweating over a small savings like T5 vs led vs mh, then in my opinion you're in the wrong hobby. :p

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The importance of a natural sunrise and sunset and seasonal variations in terrestrial plants are well documented. Zooxanthellae Algae are much simpler but a natural variation in intensity is most efficient as the mechanism of photosynthesis uses light for several hours not the whole day.

The advantage of a sunrise and sunset saves electricity and given that your are not driving your fixture at 100% for 12 hours it will last longer and produce less heat. In my personal tank I've witnessed fish freak out when the lights suddenly come on or go off. I've even seen a few jump out and try some "Carpet Surfing".

Creating a natural environment is always the best way to go. In the past I've staggered T5 but really prefer the natural on and off my LEDs create not to mention a true moonphase. Here is an interesting article that may help http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

Bill
@Dana Riddle have you heard of this too? That some kind of sunrise sunset is somehow better than just simply on/off? I used to do a sunrise sunset and now just do on off, and have noticed zero change to the health or growth of my coral?

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore cost factor when determining lights is my general advice. The cost of what you might save over X years is a drop in the pan in this hobby. And that's assuming you never upgrade the LED, which is hard not to do when they are CONSTANTLY updating the fixtures to something better. If you're sweating over a small savings like T5 vs led vs mh, then in my opinion you're in the wrong hobby. :p
I totally agree with you. I never went for leds because of the ever evolving technology.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another question for this. I just revived a 4 Bulb T5. Replaced both ballasts and upgraded the moonlights to 1 Watt. I just have some cheap bulbs in it now. I read about bulbs and get confused. What combination would you suggest for a Fish, Anemone tank with an overgrown Kenya trees ?

Jeff
2 ATI Blue Plus + 2 ATI Coral Plus.
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5s Without a doubt work
(1)but are expensive in the long run.
(2)If you run them too long and switch them out for a newer brighter bulb you add stress to your coral as it was used to the old bulb.

(3)A true sunrise and sunset is a must.
(4)A quality LED fixture does this easily and even provides seasonal variations.
(5)A T5 MH Combo works well with sunrise as the MH takes time to ramp up but shut down can stress the fish just like a sudden ON.

My Choice in order

-Quality LED Fixture
-T5/MH
-T5

Note: I would not consider some of the Import Black Box options viable simply because many of their components are not UL/CE listed and introduce electrical risk.

Bill
Hi Bill,

(1)but are expensive in the long run.
(2)If you run them too long and switch them out for a newer brighter bulb you add stress to your coral as it was used to the old bulb.

(3)A true sunrise and sunset is a must.
(4)A quality LED fixture does this easily and even provides seasonal variations.
(5)A T5 MH Combo works well with sunrise as the MH takes time to ramp up but shut down can stress the fish just like a sudden ON.

(1)His question was:
"In your opinion what is the better light for coral mix tank? LED or t-5's?"
not " what is the cheapest way".
(2) N:confused:t at all!. Absolutely not! Never ever ever...
(3) N:confused:t at all! Not a must!
(4) T5s are even easier to do dusk effects. You just need a 2 channel fixture.
(5) N:confused:pe! No stress... No problem...
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Ocean Revive LEDs over a 225 and if I had it to do over again I would go T5. They say LEDs should last for years without any degradation but that has not been mine or other local reefers experience. I don't know about the high end LEDs but the lower end like I use tend to shift spectrum over time and slowly burn out. I've had to replace the diodes several times over the last few years and have lost many corals until I figured out what was happening. If you go to the Ocean Revive forum you'll find several threads about it with users of other brand LEDs chiming in. I'm considering going T5 now but am finding it hard to spend another $850 on lights after wasting money on these LEDs.
Try put the money together or go credit card, if you can. Get the best fixture you can afford.
ATI SunPower is the one I recommend. I have my fixture for 10+ years and never get tired of it...
Quality! Cooling = longer life for your bulbs! Excellent reflectors!!!
Grandis.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back