LED, T5 or hybrid

reefer_red_sea-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have just bought a Red Sea Reefer 170 and I love it.

I am just not to sure about what light I should get.

Options

I was thinking about getting an ATI 6x24 t5 for the tank but I don't know a thing about t5. I also thought about a Aqua Illumination Hydra 64 but worried it won't be enough par so I thought of doing a hybrid with the ai hydra 64 and t5. I also thought of a Radion Xr30 blue g5 with a hybrid. but I heard the Radion fans are loud so maybe I won't get the Radion

Tank Plans

It is going to be SPS dominated so I want to be able to grow acropora anywhere

What do you think will get the most par.

OP
OP
R

reefer_red_sea-reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you gadget type person that likes playing with wifi apps and color sliders and thunderstorm effects? Or do you like simple tried and true technology you just plug in?
Yes I love gadgets but it is mostly just about what will get the most par with the best spectrum so I'm leaning towards hybrid.

btw thanks for replying

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will get responses from the LED fans and responses from the M/H T5 fans. I'm from the latter lol. I want the best coverage/spread/color blending/spectrum for my corals. Some will recommend a couple AI primes and that will light your tank but shadowing and hotspots are there. The 6 bulb ATI would be great with maybe a Reefbrite or something similar (Orpheks maybe) clipped on. Some of the best SPS tanks rock the T5s and Reefbrites. One thing I would look at is the Reefbrite 15" metal halide fixture with the LED strips clipped on each side. Aesthetically they look pretty slick and are available in single and double end for any bulb selection. Your sps would look great under that. If you're truly wanting straight LED I would look at the Reefi Duo Extreme, plus the Phillips Coral Care V2, I think it's called lol, is coming out soon.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have just bought a Red Sea Reefer 170 and I love it.

I am just not to sure about what light I should get.

Options

I was thinking about getting an ATI 6x24 t5 for the tank but I don't know a thing about t5. I also thought about a Aqua Illumination Hydra 64 but worried it won't be enough par so I thought of doing a hybrid with the ai hydra 64 and t5. I also thought of a Radion Xr30 blue g5 with a hybrid. but I heard the Radion fans are loud so maybe I won't get the Radion

Tank Plans

It is going to be SPS dominated so I want to be able to grow acropora anywhere

What do you think will get the most par.
My vote goes to an ATI T5 only Sunpower 8 bulb fixture. Get the 8 bulb, cause your tank is 20" wide. The 8 bulb fixture is 17.5" wide.
You will change bulbs every 12 months and will have absolutely no problems with lighting. Your corals will be growing a lot with very nice colony formations and colors will be amazing. Trouble free light! If you want to add LEDs you could add a strip to it, but won't be necessary at all. You won't regret!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back