LEDS Lifespan

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get metal halid bulbs on line for 15 each plus shipping. They have 10k 14k and 20k and colors are good. I get 250 watt metal halide once a year. They are plusrite bulbs

DBR_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get metal halid bulbs on line for 15 each plus shipping. They have 10k 14k and 20k and colors are good. I get 250 watt metal halide once a year. They are plusrite bulbs

Can you post a link? I always buy the Phoenix 14k, but for that price, I would certainly give them a shot

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light bulbs.com. 1000bulbs.com. And lightbulbsurplus.com I have used the first two company. The brand is plusrite

bobyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand and type led you running?

I currently have Radion XR30 G3, I've had in the past multiple different ones.
- Rapid LED par38
- Rapid LED DIY kit
- Maxspect Razor
- Mara black boxes
- AI

All of them had pretty much the same outcomes good color slow growth, I spent a lot of money and time trying to figure out why my corals where growing so slowly before concluding it was the LED's.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 3 250 watt metal halides on a 300 gallon deep dimension tank 2 20k and one 10 k growth and color are great with the 15 dollar plusrite bulbs. Change them out once a year. Have lps and spa with a few softies

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still love the 20K radiums. :)

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go Cree X series LEDs are rated for 50,000 hours and then at least 75% Brightness...

LED Fixtures vary greatly in life span. Chinese No Name Imports may have their Driver fail between 9 and 24 months. If the Fixture runs hot with dated generic three watt LEDs it is not uncommon for a row of LEDs to go out after 18 months..

If you DIY using BJB Solderless Connectors you can easily swap out a LED or replace the driver if it gives you problems...Our DIK Kits have been running for over 5 years with an occasional Driver or Fan replacement. Its very easy and with the Makers Heatsink looks are pretty good...

A quality fixture like the Sirius XTC or Ecotech Radion should last at least 5 years with the weak link being the fan in a salt air/dust environment. This is the main reason we added a temperature readout with thermal protection...Years later if you fan fails you will know early so you can address the problem before the whole fixture fails...For extended life expectancy, I like to see a fixture running no warmer than 130F with the norm around 100-110F

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my $0.02

After having LEDs for nearly 5 years now I've decided to add T5 's back into the mix.

Leds give you great color but in my experience much slower growth.

I'm 100% LEDs only and with over 200PAR on the sand Bed I'm getting great growth and no heat. Spectrum Matters...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back