Leftover in salt mixing tank?

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if left overs in a mixing tank for salt water is an issue?

Haven't done any water changes yet, as my tank is cycling, but I can see I would obviously have some saltwater left in my mixing tank after a water change.
The tap on the tank is an inch or two above the bottom, so there'll always be some left in there, and pouring it out after each water change would be a major pita.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no worries i never use all mine just add new

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar issue. I leave a gallon or so at the bottom of a Brute container. I don’t heat it or circulate it. Starts to smell like mildew or something after a few days.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar issue. I leave a gallon or so at the bottom of a Brute container. I don’t heat it or circulate it. Starts to smell like mildew or something after a few days.
I can't have that. Maybe I have to leave enough water so that circulation is possible.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering if left overs in a mixing tank for salt water is an issue?

Haven't done any water changes yet, as my tank is cycling, but I can see I would obviously have some saltwater left in my mixing tank after a water change.
The tap on the tank is an inch or two above the bottom, so there'll always be some left in there, and pouring it out after each water change would be a major pita.
You'll likely get some brown residue at the bottom of a tank from the impurities in the salt mix. I don't think its gonna hurt anything if you leave it there, but I usually wipe out the bottom of my saltwater tank when its empty to get rid of it before mixing a new batch...

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll likely get some brown residue at the bottom of a tank from the impurities in the salt mix. I don't think its gonna hurt anything if you leave it there, but I usually wipe out the bottom of my saltwater tank when its empty to get rid of it before mixing a new batch...
My mixing tank is connected to a pipe going to my sump, from the 1st floor. I can simply open a valve to add the water.
So moving the tank after each water change would be a real pita.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Youtube where a guy put an elbow on the pickup facing down so that the pump would suck off the bottom and better empty the can. I just re read you post and you aren't using a pump. I think the siphon would still empty it though.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a Youtube where a guy put an elbow on the pickup facing down so that the pump would suck off the bottom and better empty the can. I just re read you post and you aren't using a pump. I think the siphon would still empty it though.
The outlet is a few inches from the bottom.
Also, to completely empty the bin, I have to mix EXACTLY the amount I remove.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't have that. Maybe I have to leave enough water so that circulation is possible.
It sounds like you and I have similar issues in terms of hard plumbing to the containers, so moving / cleaning out the tank can be a pain. Let me know if leaving more saltwater in the container and letting it circulate helps your situation.
@HJ99 thanks for the suggestion. I might give this a try. I'm running an external pump and I could divert the flow to fill a spare container.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you and I have similar issues in terms of hard plumbing to the containers, so moving / cleaning out the tank can be a pain. Let me know if leaving more saltwater in the container and letting it circulate helps your situation.
Haven't done a water change yet, as tank is cycling, just thinking ahead.
I'll try leave something in there and see if it goes bad. If so, I'll leave enough for powerhead to run and see what happens.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't done a water change yet, as tank is cycling, just thinking ahead.
I'll try leave something in there and see if it goes bad. If so, I'll leave enough for powerhead to run and see what happens.
I'll do same. I have a water change coming up over the weekend. I'll make a bit more and then let it circulate.

I think this is more of an air exchange thing. I keep extra saltwater in 5G jugs and even though some are only partly filled I don't have an issue with odor.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it's 'stagnant'? You can't really create much flow in an inch of water.

Unless the mix contains organic matter, it won't become stagnant in the sense of depleting oxygen and possible production of hydrogen sulfide. I stored my normal IO for weeks unstirred.

Some mixes, however, do contain organics (such as Reef Crystals) and I'd keep those aerated.

OP
OP
K

kilnakorr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless the mix contains organic matter, it won't become stagnant in the sense of depleting oxygen and possible production of hydrogen sulfide. I stored my normal IO for weeks unstirred.

Some mixes, however, do contain organics (such as Reef Crystals) and I'd keep those aerated.
That makes sense. I wouldn't think pure water with minerals could go bad.
Being new to this I didn't think of those 'bio' salt mixes.
I should be fine for now, as I need 'beginner' salt without additives

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back