so this is fake

CC065829-55FF-4480-ABB7-9AD4F6DDA52D.jpeg

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, someone slaps a name on a wild nem, sells them all only for them all to die, and now nothing can carry that name? There are plenty of times I don't mind named things, but that is a bit ridiculous. At least if someone was culturing and marketing them, there would be some ground to stand on over arguing against naming nems that look similar but not the same. But in this instance how can anyone say "fake"? No trademark, copyright, etc, just a name, means anyone can name things whatever they want.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, someone slaps a name on a wild nem, sells them all only for them all to die, and now nothing can carry that name? There are plenty of times I don't mind named things, but that is a bit ridiculous. At least if someone was culturing and marketing them, there would be some ground to stand on over arguing against naming nems that look similar but not the same. But in this instance how can anyone say "fake"? No trademark, copyright, etc, just a name, means anyone can name things whatever they want.

yes but you it’s wrong to miss lead people into buying something they think is different

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but you it’s wrong to miss lead people into buying something they think is different
If someone sells a dozen or so nems they slapped a name on, and all died has it really created any lasting power? Who would actually know that much about the piece that it has brand/name recognition? And we're talking about naming a yellow nem "lemon drop". Its hardly the most creative name out there. Hard to say anyone is misleading anyone when they decide to name their yellow nem lemon drop too.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If someone sells a dozen or so nems they slapped a name on, and all died has it really created any lasting power? Who would actually know that much about the piece that it has brand/name recognition? And we're talking about naming a yellow nem "lemon drop". Its hardly the most creative name out there. Hard to say anyone is misleading anyone when they decide to name their yellow nem lemon drop too.
Oh I’m sorry I thought you were saying something different are there yellow anemones out there that have been cultured to tanks

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even if this is true..... say you buy a "lemon drop" those cost what $1300ish? Colorado sunburst are 2500..... soooooo youd actually be getting a more expensive anemone :D

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So explain something to me. What is the purpose of owning a $2500 anemone? When looking at it under normal light there wont be much difference than a normal rtba. Keeping those blues on all the time is unhealthy for the tank so no one does that. My guess is that people turn those blues on what... 3 times a month for 5 minutes? What they are paying all that money for is a pic to post here and on their instagram account. That is where I come in... for a mere 1%($25) of that $2500 you were going to spend, I'll spend 5 minutes in photoshop and turn your rbta into whatever your wildest dreams can imagine. You can then name your "morph" alliibaba for all I am concerned and you will live forever in the reefing folklore. That's right... $25! PM for details... lol

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping those blues on all the time is unhealthy for the tank so no one does that. My guess is that people turn those blues on what... 3 times a month for 5 minutes?
Do you not keep a reef tank? Blue light is part of every reef tank, and it is the most widely available spectrum used by corals. My LEDS run blue only a couple hours every morning and night. I suggest a bit more research into lighting before you make claims like it being unhealthy for the tank. And may people successfully run coral tanks with blue light only.

AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So explain something to me. What is the purpose of owning a $2500 anemone? When looking at it under normal light there wont be much difference than a normal rtba. Keeping those blues on all the time is unhealthy for the tank so no one does that. My guess is that people turn those blues on what... 3 times a month for 5 minutes? What they are paying all that money for is a pic to post here and on their instagram account. That is where I come in... for a mere 1%($25) of that $2500 you were going to spend, I'll spend 5 minutes in Photoshop and turn your rbta into whatever your wildest dreams can imagine. You can then name your "morph" alliibaba for all I am concerned and you will live forever in the reefing folklore. That's right... $25! PM for details... lol

Hey man, as an owner of a Elite Reef CSB "$2500 dollar anemone" I can tell you firsthand the benefits it provides as well as the downfalls of ownership. By the way if you use Photoshop to manipulate your Rainbow or whatever BTA and then rename it and sell it for an inflated value that's lowkey messed up... (Imagine slapping a fat spoiler on a Honda Accord Coupe IN PHOTOSHOP and trying to sell it as a Porsche lol. I think you'll live on in reefing folklore for sure but not as the guy who created a rare linneage of coral but as the guy who tried to sketchily pass off a regular nem as something special lol.)

First off: it looks amazing under both blues and mixed reef lights, there's a clear difference between it and nems that cost $25, $50, or even hundreds, as it should. It literally glows and the coloration is surreal under any lights from Chinese box lights to Radeon gen4 pros, and this is with no Photoshop required.
Second: part of the reason they cost so much is they're a "man made" nem and there's a lot of quality control involved. Part of the appeal is in that quality control. They're not just some off-the-shelf anemone, in fact you'll nearly never find them "on the shelf" anywhere. That rarity and scarcity and lack of a ton of knowledge (relative to other nems) classifies it as high-end and makes it worth the price tag. It's like owning a Rolls Royce compared to owning a BMW. They're both in the same family of "luxury cars" and to the average person who doesn't dive in depth about quirks and features, the Rolls looks awfully subtle when it's price is taken into account, and especially when you take into account what else you could buy with the same amount of money... but the Rolls is a commodity and to those who care about the quirks and features, it's worth the money despite being able to buy many more Infinity q50s or whatever other cheaper car with the same money (assuming other luxury cars are cheaper nems and other types of cars refer to other types of corals like torches and whatnot).
Third: given the first two benefits and the omnipresent desire to own one of these nems (low supply, extremely high demand) another reason to own a quality CSB is as an investment. As i'm sure you're aware nems split and can be split. Experienced reefers (which I am not by any means) are capable of keeping these nems very happy without much difficulty and therefor when a split occurs either naturally or by way of a blade, the resulting anemone can be sold for the price of a brand new Red Sea setup... Try doing that with any other typical anemone. Very few anemones in the world are capable of this. Being able to keep a CSB happy is an incredibly rewarding experience both to the eye and to the wallet, not to mention those bragging rights you mentioned, being part of a special group that will live forever in reefing folklore lol.

Now to get into the downsides...
Firstly; these nems aren't the easiest to keep. Like a Rolls Royce, this nem needs special attention to stay happy (although it doesn't need much). It's recommended to not keep CSB with any other nems so as to avoid bacterial warfare from other nems which could potentially harm the CSB. Also, CSB needs very low flow to be happy and benefits from a medium amount of light to grow. You'll ofcourse want to protect your investment by making sure no potentially damaging corals such as acros or torches etc cannot hurt the nem, and you want to make sure you place it somewhere where it cannot climb onto and get lost in your rockwork.
Secondly: It's expensive to get access into the CSB club, but actually that's about it... if you have the interest and desire, you see the value, you want the investment, and you have the means and willingness to keep a CSB happy, then you should absolutely get one. And anyone who tells you your CSB is like a high maintenance Rainbow BTA can be compared to the guy that tells you your $300,000 Rolls Royce Wraith is a high maintenance BMW 5 Series or other luxury car... like ~technically~ you're not wrong, but you're wrong where it counts. Try selling a used BMW 5 Series for $200k... I wish you the best of luck.
I hope one day you're able to experience ownership of a CSB and you'll appreciate it for what it is... an aquatic work of art.

I mean, just take a look at mine :) picked up at Cuttlefish and Coral live sale as the star item of the show. So many people wanted to take her home but I got lucky!

received_3219782374913874.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back