OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey man, as an owner of a Elite Reef CSB "$2500 dollar anemone" I can tell you firsthand the benefits it provides as well as the downfalls of ownership. By the way if you use Photoshop to manipulate your Rainbow or whatever BTA and then rename it and sell it for an inflated value that's lowkey messed up... (Imagine slapping a fat spoiler on a Honda Accord Coupe IN PHOTOSHOP and trying to sell it as a Porsche lol. I think you'll live on in reefing folklore for sure but not as the guy who created a rare linneage of coral but as the guy who tried to sketchily pass off a regular nem as something special lol.)

First off: it looks amazing under both blues and mixed reef lights, there's a clear difference between it and nems that cost $25, $50, or even hundreds, as it should. It literally glows and the coloration is surreal under any lights from Chinese box lights to Radeon gen4 pros, and this is with no Photoshop required.
Second: part of the reason they cost so much is they're a "man made" nem and there's a lot of quality control involved. Part of the appeal is in that quality control. They're not just some off-the-shelf anemone, in fact you'll nearly never find them "on the shelf" anywhere. That rarity and scarcity and lack of a ton of knowledge (relative to other nems) classifies it as high-end and makes it worth the price tag. It's like owning a Rolls Royce compared to owning a BMW. They're both in the same family of "luxury cars" and to the average person who doesn't dive in depth about quirks and features, the Rolls looks awfully subtle when it's price is taken into account, and especially when you take into account what else you could buy with the same amount of money... but the Rolls is a commodity and to those who care about the quirks and features, it's worth the money despite being able to buy many more Infinity q50s or whatever other cheaper car with the same money (assuming other luxury cars are cheaper nems and other types of cars refer to other types of corals like torches and whatnot).
Third: given the first two benefits and the omnipresent desire to own one of these nems (low supply, extremely high demand) another reason to own a quality CSB is as an investment. As i'm sure you're aware nems split and can be split. Experienced reefers (which I am not by any means) are capable of keeping these nems very happy without much difficulty and therefor when a split occurs either naturally or by way of a blade, the resulting anemone can be sold for the price of a brand new Red Sea setup... Try doing that with any other typical anemone. Very few anemones in the world are capable of this. Being able to keep a CSB happy is an incredibly rewarding experience both to the eye and to the wallet, not to mention those bragging rights you mentioned, being part of a special group that will live forever in reefing folklore lol.

Now to get into the downsides...
Firstly; these nems aren't the easiest to keep. Like a Rolls Royce, this nem needs special attention to stay happy (although it doesn't need much). It's recommended to not keep CSB with any other nems so as to avoid bacterial warfare from other nems which could potentially harm the CSB. Also, CSB needs very low flow to be happy and benefits from a medium amount of light to grow. You'll ofcourse want to protect your investment by making sure no potentially damaging corals such as acros or torches etc cannot hurt the nem, and you want to make sure you place it somewhere where it cannot climb onto and get lost in your rockwork.
Secondly: It's expensive to get access into the CSB club, but actually that's about it... if you have the interest and desire, you see the value, you want the investment, and you have the means and willingness to keep a CSB happy, then you should absolutely get one. And anyone who tells you your CSB is like a high maintenance Rainbow BTA can be compared to the guy that tells you your $300,000 Rolls Royce Wraith is a high maintenance BMW 5 Series or other luxury car... like ~technically~ you're not wrong, but you're wrong where it counts. Try selling a used BMW 5 Series for $200k... I wish you the best of luck.
I hope one day you're able to experience ownership of a CSB and you'll appreciate it for what it is... an aquatic work of art.

I mean, just take a look at mine :) picked up at Cuttlefish and Coral live sale as the star item of the show. So many people wanted to take her home but I got lucky!

received_3219782374913874.jpeg
Would you be willing to sell to me if it splits?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That CSB does look cool. I recently saw my first aussie gold torch and fell in love I've never seen a more beautiful piece of coral. They look nothing like they do in pics. I'm sure that is probably the same with your CSB.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That CSB does look cool. I recently saw my first aussie gold torch and fell in love I've never seen a more beautiful piece of coral. They look nothing like they do in pics. I'm sure that is probably the same with your CSB.
I’m actually got one shipped to me and arriving tomorrow I’ll send some pic

AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks :) if you keep an Aussie gold torch under Radeons + florescent blues you'd see how even more gorgeous they look! Corals looks change drastically under different lighting types and in different states of comfort and treatment. Who knows what lighting they had in the photos! When my CSB isn't very happy it looks horrible and I feel bad for it. It hasn't looked that way for a while, it's been all pretty and bubbly which I'm very happy about so it's stunning right now. Same goes for my dragonsoul torch... A couple days ago its tentacles were deflated and receding and it expelled some brown slime, and I thought it was under extreme stress but it turned out it just wanted slightly less flow and more light so I changed its position and it's been flowing ever since. Cameras can never perfectly match the naked eye, either the image is better or worse than what the eye can see depending on the photographer and the situation among other things.
20200409_114535.jpg
20200409_114542.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How do you ta
Thanks :) if you keep an Aussie gold torch under Radeons + florescent blues you'd see how even more gorgeous they look! Corals looks change drastically under different lighting types and in different states of comfort and treatment. Who knows what lighting they had in the photos! When my CSB isn't very happy it looks horrible and I feel bad for it. It hasn't looked that way for a while, it's been all pretty and bubbly which I'm very happy about so it's stunning right now. Same goes for my dragonsoul torch... A couple days ago its tentacles were deflated and receding and it expelled some brown slime, and I thought it was under extreme stress but it turned out it just wanted slightly less flow and more light so I changed its position and it's been flowing ever since. Cameras can never perfectly match the naked eye, either the image is better or worse than what the eye can see depending on the photographer and the situation among other things.
20200409_114535.jpg
20200409_114542.jpg

how do you take photos like that all I can get is

918C0125-BA9E-46E0-A125-A7974AD61C91.jpeg

AceShadow_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you ta

918C0125-BA9E-46E0-A125-A7974AD61C91.jpeg
I assume you're asking how I take pictures? Flipper aquatics lens filter if I'm taking under blue light, and under white light I put my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 camera in pro mode and adjust the settings accordingly.

That's a cute torch :) can't wait till it gets biggg.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I assume you're asking how I take pictures? Flipper aquatics lens filter if I'm taking under blue light, and under white light I put my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 camera in pro mode and adjust the settings accordingly.

That's a cute torch :) can't wait till it gets biggg.
Yeah that was day one of getting it this is now

3E83272B-DEAB-4574-B405-5F1B22C842C9.jpeg 28856183-1E9E-437C-A037-D914A0053FA9.jpeg EDF9FFDD-2AC6-4C18-8EAC-5D9FA9F8724F.jpeg

SR Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my newly split Chicago looks like lemon drop after strive for 1 month due to split.

IMG_20200526_093720.jpg

One to the left is new split under Kessil 360WE

Middle was in other tank under Kessie AP700 + T5 that made it turn orange.

Right is the mama gold tip and purple body. Always been under 360WE.

The all split form the same Chicago.

Again agree all lemon drop are dead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, my newly split Chicago looks like lemon drop after strive for 1 month due to split.

IMG_20200526_093720.jpg

One to the left is new split under Kessil 360WE

Middle was in other tank under Kessie AP700 + T5 that made it turn orange.

Right is the mama gold tip and purple body. Always been under 360WE.

The all split form the same Chicago.

Again agree all lemon drop are dead.
You looking to sell one?

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, as an owner of a Elite Reef CSB "$2500 dollar anemone" I can tell you firsthand the benefits it provides as well as the downfalls of ownership. By the way if you use Photoshop to manipulate your Rainbow or whatever BTA and then rename it and sell it for an inflated value that's lowkey messed up... (Imagine slapping a fat spoiler on a Honda Accord Coupe IN PHOTOSHOP and trying to sell it as a Porsche lol. I think you'll live on in reefing folklore for sure but not as the guy who created a rare linneage of coral but as the guy who tried to sketchily pass off a regular nem as something special lol.)

First off: it looks amazing under both blues and mixed reef lights, there's a clear difference between it and nems that cost $25, $50, or even hundreds, as it should. It literally glows and the coloration is surreal under any lights from Chinese box lights to Radeon gen4 pros, and this is with no Photoshop required.
Second: part of the reason they cost so much is they're a "man made" nem and there's a lot of quality control involved. Part of the appeal is in that quality control. They're not just some off-the-shelf anemone, in fact you'll nearly never find them "on the shelf" anywhere. That rarity and scarcity and lack of a ton of knowledge (relative to other nems) classifies it as high-end and makes it worth the price tag. It's like owning a Rolls Royce compared to owning a BMW. They're both in the same family of "luxury cars" and to the average person who doesn't dive in depth about quirks and features, the Rolls looks awfully subtle when it's price is taken into account, and especially when you take into account what else you could buy with the same amount of money... but the Rolls is a commodity and to those who care about the quirks and features, it's worth the money despite being able to buy many more Infinity q50s or whatever other cheaper car with the same money (assuming other luxury cars are cheaper nems and other types of cars refer to other types of corals like torches and whatnot).
Third: given the first two benefits and the omnipresent desire to own one of these nems (low supply, extremely high demand) another reason to own a quality CSB is as an investment. As i'm sure you're aware nems split and can be split. Experienced reefers (which I am not by any means) are capable of keeping these nems very happy without much difficulty and therefor when a split occurs either naturally or by way of a blade, the resulting anemone can be sold for the price of a brand new Red Sea setup... Try doing that with any other typical anemone. Very few anemones in the world are capable of this. Being able to keep a CSB happy is an incredibly rewarding experience both to the eye and to the wallet, not to mention those bragging rights you mentioned, being part of a special group that will live forever in reefing folklore lol.

Now to get into the downsides...
Firstly; these nems aren't the easiest to keep. Like a Rolls Royce, this nem needs special attention to stay happy (although it doesn't need much). It's recommended to not keep CSB with any other nems so as to avoid bacterial warfare from other nems which could potentially harm the CSB. Also, CSB needs very low flow to be happy and benefits from a medium amount of light to grow. You'll ofcourse want to protect your investment by making sure no potentially damaging corals such as acros or torches etc cannot hurt the nem, and you want to make sure you place it somewhere where it cannot climb onto and get lost in your rockwork.
Secondly: It's expensive to get access into the CSB club, but actually that's about it... if you have the interest and desire, you see the value, you want the investment, and you have the means and willingness to keep a CSB happy, then you should absolutely get one. And anyone who tells you your CSB is like a high maintenance Rainbow BTA can be compared to the guy that tells you your $300,000 Rolls Royce Wraith is a high maintenance BMW 5 Series or other luxury car... like ~technically~ you're not wrong, but you're wrong where it counts. Try selling a used BMW 5 Series for $200k... I wish you the best of luck.
I hope one day you're able to experience ownership of a CSB and you'll appreciate it for what it is... an aquatic work of art.

I mean, just take a look at mine :) picked up at Cuttlefish and Coral live sale as the star item of the show. So many people wanted to take her home but I got lucky!

received_3219782374913874.jpeg

First things first...that's a beautiful anemone. Congrats.

Now to point out some serious issues with your above post:

The CSB is not a "man made" anemone. It is aqua-cultured and was most likely selectively cultured to some extent in order to get the best coloration. But it is an Entacmaea quadricolor anemone. It does not need any different care than any other E.quadricolor anemone. There are well documented requirements for keeping E.quadricolor in home aquariums. Yours is no different in that respect. Keeping a CSBTA is no different than keeping a regular Rose Bubble Tip Anemone, a Green Bubble Tip Anemone, or a Brown Bubble Tip anemone.
The color of yours is highly desirable which increases the cost correspondingly. The price you paid is worth it to you and the anemone brings you happiness, that's all that really matters here.

If you want to consider your anemone an investment, you are certainly able to do so. However, it's a poor choice for an investment since you could lose your investment in a variety of ways that are out of your control to include power outtage, freak storm, equipment failure, tank seam failure, or even the anemone moving about the tank into a powerhead. Obviously, it's your money and you should spend it how you want.

I meant what I said at the beginning of my post, that is a beautiful anemone, and I'm glad it brings you happiness. But keeping a CSBTA is no different than keeping any other E.quadricolor anemone, and they are among the easiest to keep which is why they are so wide spread in the hobby. Yours is different only in color and price.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back