Lemon peel tang scratching

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

So I got some new fishes. Along with those there is a lemon peel tang.

They all went through QT with cupramine for 2 weeks, no signal of scratching / flashing, etc.

Move them to the DT and now the peel tang is scratching against the sand or rocks. No white spots can be seen. It's not swimming against the power heads. No other fish are scratching.

It's also eating a lot.

Should I be worried? I already had a ich outbreak 3 months ago and had to leave the DT fallow for that time.

I will try to get pictures.

Thanks in advance.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is the scratching? Non stop of occasional? You should probably see some spots if ich or velvet - perhaps may take some time to show up. You could do a FW dip to check for velvet.

Even though the recommendation on the bottle is 2weeks the most successful treatment is 30 days in copper. Sometimes works to transfer to a different QT tank after ~2wks and observe another 2-3 wks.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching is ocassional. I didn't see anything that could worry me so I transfer them to the DT. Treatment was done...

During the whole time in QT it didn't display any strange behavior.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's hope it's nothing but some weird behavior. Observe closely and spots will appear if ich or velvet. Is the scratching targeting gills? A fw dip will help figuring out if possibly velvet. Ich, even though a major pain, won't kill the fish fast and gives you more time to react.

When it comes to velvet, 2 weeks Cupramine will kill the free-swimming dinospore but trophonts and tomonts are resistant to doses that are far beyond toxic to the fish. A 2wk cupramine bath will deal a blowback to the cycle but trophonts may continue the cycle when taken out. The treatment or observation thus must last for as long as it takes for all trophonts and tomonts to become dinospores which can take ~20 days.

Many LFS treat their systems with low non-therapeutic doses of copper which especially in combination with lower salinity and lower temperature arrest the disease to some degree. Then we go home with a seemingly healthy fish that develops ich or velvet in ~1-6 days.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to take that fish out now along with everybody again? Or should I wait until I find evidence of ich?

Could there be another explanation that's not ich or velvet?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the fish dewormed with Prazipro whilst in QT?

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally it tried to scratch the belly. I think I saw a white spit in the fin. I will keep observation and see if any other fish starts to change behavior.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the fish have not changed since I posted this thread.

I'm using metroplex mixed with food in order to treat whatever attaches to the fish.

There is some ocassional scratching here and there, it's not worse. I can see some white spots on some fish, the ones that were already affected, but for me this spots are bigger than ich.

The rest seem un affected.

Thanks for the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back