Lemonpeel angel after isolation

ecossebear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a lemonpeel angelfish in a reef tank for 2 years. I recently added some coral frags and a coral beauty but of course the lemonpeel went for them. After 3 hours of chasing him, I caught him a couple of weeks ago and put him in the sump for a time out. Last week I added him to the display albeit in a large clear breeding box While I looked for someone to take him. My question is after 2 weeks time out in fish jail where the other fish are all settled, would introducing him back into the tank now mean he is more calm and ready to behave or would he just go back to nipping the other fish and Corals?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a coral nipper, always a coral nipper. Usually, in any case.

Keeping two dwarf angels can be a matter of luck as much as patience and husbandry. If you've got a small tank, you may never get your angels to behave with each other; then again, some angels will always fight with each other, and even in tanks up to 180g. Some reefers report success with keeping multiple dwarf angels in their tanks in the theory that aggression is spread out in multiple directions, although that seems to be a risky strategy. I keep a multicolor and tibicen together in a 65g, and they usually leave each other alone, but I've got lots of aquascape and hiding spaces, and the multicolor is certainly the dominant fish in the tank.

I'd rehome one of your angels. If you like your coral, I think that the lemonpeel would have to go, although I'd have a hard time giving up such a beautiful fish myself.

OP
OP
E

ecossebear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. That’s my concern is it will just go back to its nature but I was wondering if it was worth giving it one final chance after being isolated for so long on its own and allowing the other fish to bed in - ie he’s effectively the “new guy” in the tank.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added a goldflake angel smaller than the lemonpeel the lemon peel harassed it for awhile but then everything calmed down

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back