Lens Filters

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a dumb question... do orange/brown filters make the photos look like what the eye sees, or do they enhance colors we don't see? Or is the answer "both", depending on which filter is used?

In part asking because I can't get an accurate photo of my corals coloration to save my life with just the settings available on my phone, but also because it's so hard to navigate vendor pages (and even photos posted here) and know if I'd ever see colors like that in my tank...

itsken37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on the coral's colors like this is almost what I see.
20210122_194934.jpg

OP
OP
driftin

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I guess, like everything else in the hobby, the answer is more complex than yes/no. So if I understand it properly, the filter can be used to get the camera image sensor to produce a photo that matches what the eye sees, especially under heavy blue light.

But a filter can also take it beyond that? I've seen photos (on this forum) that look insane. I've guessed that these were either taken with an extreme filter or photoshopped, and no longer represent what a human eye would see even with heavy blue lights on the tank. Is that safe to assume?

Specific Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color filters add/subtract colors. You can stack color filters together to reduce a color but also pop another.

In photo editing software like Photoshop, Lightroom or Capture One, you can fiddle around the white balance to get something that's closer to how it appears to us or something totally different.

One thing to note is that when looking at coral, there's a mix of light. Whether it be artificial light (aquarium lights or house lights) or natural/ambient (the sun). This is all a factor when looking at a coral or taking a photo of it. It throws off colors or helps them.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I guess, like everything else in the hobby, the answer is more complex than yes/no. So if I understand it properly, the filter can be used to get the camera image sensor to produce a photo that matches what the eye sees, especially under heavy blue light.

But a filter can also take it beyond that? I've seen photos (on this forum) that look insane. I've guessed that these were either taken with an extreme filter or photoshopped, and no longer represent what a human eye would see even with heavy blue lights on the tank. Is that safe to assume?
right, it's never yes or no haha. Those amazing photos are often being helped by experience for sure but also with legit cameras that have control over exposer times and many other aspects. I'm not a photography guru but it's like anything else. When you care enough you'll dive deeper.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the brown filter you use?
I made my own
I used a brown camera lens filter

Step down

And an extra clip I had laying around
image.jpg

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically use the lens filter from coralview to get as close to what I see as possible. Then using my phones photo editing app, I will further adjust to get the most realistic photo as I can. I don't like posting photos that artificially enhance the look of my system.

ReeferSamster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own
I used a brown camera lens filter

Step down

And an extra clip I had laying around
image.jpg

Will any clip work from amazon? Like this one? As long as the lens fits the adapter and the adapter fits onto the clip, right?

I like brown filter. It is better than yellow or orange.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will any clip work from amazon? Like this one? As long as the lens fits the adapter and the adapter fits onto the clip, right?

I like brown filter. It is better than yellow or orange.

I believe so….assuming the clip is also compatible with your phone camera lens

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back