Leopard puffer aka Green spot puffer tank mates etc.

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
I was at petco the other day (I know dont buy fish there...) they had a leopard puffer for sale for $5 and was in freshwater tank. ( i did buy him) These fish can live in fresh or brackish when young (he is 1 1/2 inch) but as they get older they need full marine. I have a 20 gallon reef tank and another 20 gallon saltwater breeding tank for saltwater mollies ( I sell to LFS) so I am experienced with this kinda stuff. I just have a few question so if you could answer that would be great!
#1 - What size tank do they need?
#2 - What fish can they live with?
#3 - at what age do they need full marine?
#4 - What do they eat? (I am feeding snails right now but is there anything else?)
#5 - Will they eat plants or corals?
(if there is anything else you think i should know plz feel free to do so!)

~Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a QT right now. We named him chubs.

Attachments

• C6DBD320-D2AE-4DF1-90DC-97A5A01D1771.jpeg
    C6DBD320-D2AE-4DF1-90DC-97A5A01D1771.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 76
  • B40C0D3D-B0F0-46F5-AF4A-1E62B37E9B3A.jpeg
    B40C0D3D-B0F0-46F5-AF4A-1E62B37E9B3A.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 70

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be ok in something like a 40B, or a 55 better yet; they can get aggressive and nippy. I wouldn't trust them not to nip at corals or macro, they will have the same inclinations as most puffers. They would be ok with damsels and maroon clowns, maybe dottybacks or something like a midas blenny, fish with attitude. Snails are good additions for their diet as it will keep their teeth in check, they will eat any chunky meaty foods; thinks like shrimp, scallop, squid, clam, mussels, etc. Pe mysis or anything like that. I believe a fish this size will start to reach maturity at about 4" or so, so at that point they can go full salt; I believe you can ramp up the brackish level as sub adults, you can start at something like 1.005.

OP
OP
LAA

LAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will be ok in something like a 40B, or a 55 better yet; they can get aggressive and nippy. I wouldn't trust them not to nip at corals or macro, they will have the same inclinations as most puffers. They would be ok with damsels and maroon clowns, maybe dottybacks or something like a midas blenny, fish with attitude. Snails are good additions for their diet as it will keep their teeth in check, they will eat any chunky meaty foods; thinks like shrimp, scallop, squid, clam, mussels, etc. Pe mysis or anything like that. I believe a fish this size will start to reach maturity at about 4" or so, so at that point they can go full salt; I believe you can ramp up the brackish level as sub adults, you can start at something like 1.005.
Thank you so much! This definitely helps.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back