leopard wrass in qt upside down

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so brought in some new livestock. 3 leopard wrasses. put them in my ore wt tank to bring them from the wholesalers .19 to .24. 2nd day in at and the wrass in middle chamber is breathing heavily and pawing upside down. also bobbing at the top of the water. full other fish seam fine. only been in takk for 3 days and i habe feed very min food. like 1/16th a cube so far so i don’t feel it’s amonia. i have lots of meds on hand but not sure what to do.

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to clarify she would come to top and bob then kind of flop over and swim down to bottom and lay upside down. idc how many people on internet see my number. i y’all can text 9407361824 for short video. it may help

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobbing at the top of the water sounds like a swim bladder infection.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/wrasse-swimbladder-issue.202289/
While this is very likely, I mis-diagnosed a fish with Uronema because of similar symptoms. My clown showed equilibrium issues way before the iconic dark spot on side. I have read of others having this too with clowns, but I am not sure with a wrasse. The heavy breathing is what has me concerned because mine exhibited very heavy breathing as well.

Any mucus in gills by chance?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this is very likely, I mis-diagnosed a fish with Uronema because of similar symptoms. My clown showed equilibrium issues way before the iconic dark spot on side. I have read of others having this too with clowns, but I am not sure with a wrasse. The heavy breathing is what has me concerned because mine exhibited very heavy breathing as well.

This^^^ is why I prefer to get fish into therapeutic copper + metro ASAP upon arrival. It covers the big 4 and then the other things are much easier to diagnose and treat from there.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^^^ is why I prefer to get fish into therapeutic copper + metro ASAP upon arrival. It covers the big 4 and then the other things are much easier to diagnose and treat from there.
Hence why I have new procedures in place lol

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses ship horribly and are notorious for being easily stressed (once they are established, I find them fairly hardy, though). Had these wrasses been at the LFS for a few days and eating? Moving them from the LFS to your home tank could certainly have stressed them further if they had just arrived there. I would tend to agree with @4FordFamily that this is indicative of a swim bladder issue, although I'm not certain that it necessarily has to be an infection. I've observed this same type of result from leopard wrasses after being shipped from out west to the east. I was told that the pressure change from flight over the Rockies is harder on the fish. I'm not sure how true that is or not. I do know flying screws my body up even though the cabins are supposed to be pressurized, so I think it's at least conceivable it might affect some fish negatively. Or it just might be the additional stress. Or an underlying infection is already present and the stress suppresses the fish's immune system and the results manifest themselves after a day or two when the infection is able to start compromising the fish's systems where it was held more in check prior.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Daniel Waters you are spot on with the terrible shipping but hardy after accustomed tank life, they do require proper feeding and a mature tank with pods will always help as well.

They are some of my favorite fish for sure.

@Humblefish and I have discussed the flight pressure as well. Supposedly submerged in water they don't experience the pressure change like we do. I haven't ever looked for an actual study on the matter.

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses ship horribly and are notorious for being easily stressed (once they are established, I find them fairly hardy, though). Had these wrasses been at the LFS for a few days and eating? Moving them from the LFS to your home tank could certainly have stressed them further if they had just arrived there. I would tend to agree with @4FordFamily that this is indicative of a swim bladder issue, although I'm not certain that it necessarily has to be an infection. I've observed this same type of result from leopard wrasses after being shipped from out west to the east. I was told that the pressure change from flight over the Rockies is harder on the fish. I'm not sure how true that is or not. I do know flying screws my body up even though the cabins are supposed to be pressurized, so I think it's at least conceivable it might affect some fish negatively. Or it just might be the additional stress. Or an underlying infection is already present and the stress suppresses the fish's immune system and the results manifest themselves after a day or two when the infection is able to start compromising the fish's systems where it was held more in check prior.
these fish skipped the fish store. 1 day in wholsellers tank then my fish store went and picked them up for me and streight into my qt. so yes i would say they are stressed. 4 days removed from shipping into wholseller.

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i will check closer for micas around gills when i get home in 30 min

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got home. fish is dead . thanks for the help guys

B5668C17-B768-401A-945B-99EFEF7A4370.jpeg

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok update.

i origiondly had 3 leopards in at all separated. lost the middle one. the 2 remaining have big white spots on them. pics attached below. it does not look like ick to me. i have delt with ick before and somthing is different about this. fish are in qt at 1.020 salinity.
meds on hand are prazipro api general cure kanaplex coppersafe metroplex
*** chloroquine*** from my cool butt get thattinks it awesome i try and save fish. i read this is a great ned but no experience with it.
api copper test
hannah copper checker

3E3F7F71-5D40-4EA5-969E-1E37228E4BAF.jpeg

5883353D-112F-4BD5-B075-4E1AD112030A.jpeg

D5EFE964-2AE0-4EEE-A818-51D573EAB396.jpeg

F9552F7C-AEFF-41A1-ADEA-7F94BA1B78FC.jpeg

20EE23FA-3389-4476-BDCF-7D4EF7AFD782.jpeg

7BCDA906-7709-477A-A6C0-CEC5E10FB630.jpeg

DA5D7350-4BE0-4F39-9182-C27AA4E33A64.jpeg

FF0FB547-4E6E-4EA8-96CA-EE81076FFAB0.jpeg

8D819A56-76C7-4819-8879-9D19706C1304.jpeg

6BB0C44C-1E55-49B1-AAD9-4BF7038D5C7B.jpeg

23B53B0A-FC74-4951-8E9E-3FF71E1F0EA4.jpeg

3D8227B1-80E6-44FC-B694-FE8F84683FD1.jpeg

90D7E896-7A09-4F3F-811E-EE1FE3B98FD4.jpeg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the white spots down the at the base of the dorsal fin?

If so that is natural coloration from them especially in low light.

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the white spots down the at the base of the dorsal fin?

If so that is natural coloration from them especially in low light.

that is part of my concern yes! i was just about to say in my observation they glisen and don’t aoear to be raised. they are in low light so that amswers that question

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
observation

read above but i was going to talk about the spots down the back of the first fish that seemed flat and almost to glisten I think they are hot rocks hit the nail on the head.
they also seem to have bumps in there tail fins and the 2nd fish seems to habe somthing in his pec fins as well. although i’m not sure if this is just part of this peticulat fish or not?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is part of my concern yes! i was just about to say in my observation they glisen and don’t aoear to be raised. they are in low light so that amswers that question
Totally normal. I have two in QT now as well and they look the same.

I also have had one in my display for quite a while who also looks the same when lighting is low.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
observation

read above but i was going to talk about the spots down the back of the first fish that seemed flat and almost to glisten I think they are hot rocks hit the nail on the head.
they also seem to have bumps in there tail fins and the 2nd fish seems to habe somthing in his pec fins as well. although i’m not sure if this is just part of this peticulat fish or not?
I think I see the spot on the pec fin (maybe), that could be ich, more likely flukes if I had to guess.

You can always confirm flukes by doing a 5min FW dip.

I rarely see ich on wrasses. However I do treat all fish prophylactically with copper and prazi right out of the gate.

OP
OP
Jsieger89

Jsieger89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after looking at both of the fish closely I think the spots I’m seeing on the pectoral fans are part of the fishes anatomy as well the second fish it’s more pronounced but I think it’s just part of the fun. oddly enough the bumps on the tail concerned me the most now but they seem to be on both fish in similar spots as well these bumps are definitely raised from the body though but both in the middle part of the fin where the clear part starts

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 18 17.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back