Leopard Wrasse breathing heavy

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a leopard Wrasse in hypo salinity in a QT tank. He's in there with a fire fish and a blenny who are both doing great. The fishes have been in QT for a week now and in hypo for four days. I do daily water changes (25%)

The Wrasse has been out of his sand today and is breathing very heavily and laying on its side. I have an air stone (I read hypo reduces oxygen levels) in there and have an additional powerhead aimed at the water surface. There are No meds in the tank.

I don't think he'll survive much longer and am wondering if I should take him out of Hypo gradually. Any advise is much appreciated.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and foremost Thank You for Serving this great nation of ours! I was in the US Army for 8 years and loved every minute. I am by no means an expert in this field of Fish illness but I did have this same fish, not easy to care for, they do like pods to eat, getting them to eat frozen can be a challenge. Check or do you check your water for Ammonia build up? This is the quite one in Qtanks, once you feed in a Qtank try to remove the remaining food as soon as possible the leftover can cause Ammonia to spike.

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and thanks for your service as well!

I ran an ammonia test and it came back as 0. I also syphon out the left over food and poop daily before water changes. There's a piece of live rock in there with PODS that was taken out of my refugium to feed the Leopard.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll help ya even though I'm ex-Navy. ;)

Have you tested pH? Hypo can drive it down and you usually have to regularly buffer it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards in particular tend to lay around in quarantine I wouldn't be too alarmed as long as the fish is lucid/aware of its surroundings. The heavy breathing could be stress. I know you're doing water changes but do you have the ammonia alert badge by seachem? It's a great gauge -- you may need larger water changes depending on the amount of ammonia present (anything other than yellow).

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards in particular tend to lay around in quarantine I wouldn't be too alarmed as long as the fish is lucid/aware of its surroundings. The heavy breathing could be stress. I know you're doing water changes but do you have the ammonia alert badge by seachem? It's a great gauge -- you may need larger water changes depending on the amount of ammonia present (anything other than yellow).

Yes I have the circular ammonia badge. I wasn't too concerned that it was on the bottom trying to hide on its side like a Tang but that he was breathing very rapidly and that I easily scooped him up as if he was paralyzed (my hand was in there during my routine syphoning of food and poop.

I'll try posting a video in a min

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have the circular ammonia badge. I wasn't too concerned that it was on the bottom trying to hide on its side like a Tang but that he was breathing very rapidly and that I easily scooped him up as if he was paralyzed (my hand was in there during my routine syphoning of food and poop.

I'll try posting a video in a min
Sounds like it may be pretty ill, or it was sleeping at the time. Time will tell. I will say, leaving it be and keeping stress at an absolute minimum increases your odds dramatically.

Good luck!

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran two tests and PH is low at 7.5.
Did a test on my DT and that was fine at 8.1.

On my way to the LFS. What PH buffer would you recommend?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran two tests and PH is low at 7.5.
Did a test on my DT and that was fine at 8.1.

On my way to the LFS. What PH buffer would you recommend?

I haven't paid for pH buffer in years (see below):
Spread baking soda onto a clean baking sheet, and bake at 300F for 1 hour. This process drives off water and carbon dioxide from the baking soda, and the result is an effective pH buffer. You will need to experiment (start with a very small amount) to determine how much is needed to raise your pH to the desired level.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're already at the LFS, any product which contains sodium carbonate will do. Don't raise the pH too quickly.

robzombay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw him in the tank already get him moving around, been long enough. Plus no sand bed for him to sleep

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw him in the tank already get him moving around, been long enough. Plus no sand bed for him to sleep

Wouldn't do this for two reasons:
  1. Fish has only been in QT 1 week <-- This is the main reason.
  2. pH between QT & DT is too far apart.

robzombay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah normally, but if he's breathing heavy get the pH right and put him in. Let him die in the qt or take a chance on the mt. Up to you.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah normally, but if he's breathing heavy get the pH right and put him in. Let him die in the qt or take a chance on the mt. Up to you.

Low pH is only one possible explanation for heavy breathing here. Parasites/worms in the gills or ammonia/toxins in the water are other possibilities. Parasites/worms would be spread to other fish in the DT if QT is ended prematurely.

OP
OP
USMC 4 LIFE

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm cooking up some PH buffer right now. As Humblefish stated, he's only been in QT for a week and I don't want to risk introducing a diseased fish into the DT AND PH / salinity difference is significant enough where I might cause more harm than good.

In 30 mins the buffer will be ready.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cooking up some PH buffer right now. As Humblefish stated, he's only been in QT for a week and I don't want to risk introducing a diseased fish into the DT AND PH / salinity difference is significant enough where I might cause more harm than good.

In 30 mins the buffer will be ready.

Go slowly/dose the "baked" baking soda lightly, and test & retest until you know how much to use to raise it. Don't raise it more than 0.1 every couple of hours. If you can get it to 7.8 you should be "safe" for the night. But get it >8.0 tomorrow and keep it there.

A_game43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Seachem Ammonia badge as well in all my tanks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back