Leopard Wrasse Eating Diatoms?!

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently lost my conch, just got a new one after about a week or two. I had a bloom of diatoms in the sand (brown normal looking). This smaller conch has not cleaned them up yet, he seems a bit timid still. Anyways I come home today to find pecks of sand that are white again...at first I attributed to my nassus snails moving about. Then I realized by Leopard had a full belly....hoping this wasnt a bacterial infection of some sort I just watched for about 10 minutes. She is literally eating the brown coating of diatoms (at least i think thats what this is!). I got real close and made sure she wasnt picking copapods off the sand (I know they tend to pick at these when avaliable) and I could see none.

Is this normal behavior? She is legit taking in mouth fulls of this stuff and has a packed belly. I am positive shes eating it. And it looks exactly like a diatoms. Do I have a cause for concern here guys? Any help would be appreciated! I have been doing weekly 20% water changes, all my corals are fine and my possum wrasse seems healthy as can be. All my parameters are in check, minus my phosphates which are still a bit high. Everything else is good and the tanks seems healthy as can be other than this bloom of brown.

OP
OP
Isoprene

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the leopard wrasse for about 3 to 4 months and she has been eating frozen mysis since I got her. No abnormal behavior, same with the possum wrasse and these are the only two inhabitants atm.

rat4m3n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly the same and 100% sure there is no pods and critters.. Actually there is no live at all but just diatoms as i am cycling this tank with dead rock and dead crushed corals...

Mine is eating like MAd.. and she eats DIATOMS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back