Leopard wrasse laying on the side

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi reefers, just purchased leopard wrasse about 2 weeks ago. He’s doing fine until yesterday. He barely swims. Laying on the bottom of the sand. I dipped him in fresh water for 5 minutes and flukes came off. I placed him on quarantine container with air stones. I thought he’s a goner, but this morning, I found out that he’s still alive but still laying on the bottom of the container.

What’s should I do to help him? Should I do Prazipro dose for treatment? He haven’t been eating for couple days, not sure if he can make it
IMG_6487.jpeg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do bury in the sand when sleeping and hiding. Do you mean on top of the sand?
He’s doing fine until yesterday. He barely swims. Laying on the bottom of the sand.
If you are confidant in flukes, then yes I would use prazi in a quarantine tank with sand to hide/sleep.

Leopards are difficult fish, as I'm sure you're aware. And they don't ship well.

Did it eat at one point for you?

OP
OP
R

rongy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They do bury in the sand when sleeping and hiding. Do you mean on top of the sand?

If you are confidant in flukes, then yes I would use prazi in a quarantine tank with sand to hide/sleep.

Leopards are difficult fish, as I'm sure you're aware. And they don't ship well.

Did it eat at one point for you?
Yes, fairly confident it’s some kind fluke. Fell off after FW dip.

It does eat frozen brine, but I haven’t seen him eating for a while.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi reefers, just purchased leopard wrasse about 2 weeks ago. He’s doing fine until yesterday. He barely swims. Laying on the bottom of the sand. I dipped him in fresh water for 5 minutes and flukes came off. I placed him on quarantine container with air stones. I thought he’s a goner, but this morning, I found out that he’s still alive but still laying on the bottom of the container.

What’s should I do to help him? Should I do Prazipro dose for treatment? He haven’t been eating for couple days, not sure if he can make it
IMG_6487.jpeg
If flukes, would look like little fish scales or seeds. While its safe to apply praziquantel, you want to be sure you are addressing the issue at hand. . . some signs will be hiding, lethargic behavior, loss of appetite, sudden darting and yawning as examples.
If you choose to treat with prazi, dose at 85% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back