Leopard Wrasse questions

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a pair of female Leopard Wrasse, 1 Blue Star (M. bipartitus) and a (M. meleagris) both of which seem to be incredibly happy together and are eating whatever I feed the tank.

My question is, with them both being females and different species of Leopards, what is the likeliness of one becoming a male?

Also the Blue Star seems to be effected by jet lag. It comes out every night between 8:30-10pm which is when my lights go out. I make sure to feed it well during that period but I'm hoping it adjusts quickly. Is there anything I could be doing to help entice it to come out a little earlier or is it just a matter of time?

Here's a video of them together :D

PS this is only a temporary home. I plan on moving them to my Reefer 350 eventually

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that the leopard wrasses are less likely to switch genders in situation similar to yours.

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize, I didn't notice you have two different species. I would say there is little risk that they will change because of each other, however wrasses can decide to change genders even when housed singly.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally I would like for them to remain female because their markings/coloration is far more beautiful than the males IMO. Plus I also like their peaceful nature.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses changing genders isn't as definite as it is with fairy and flasher wrasses. However, it may or may not happen, there's no certainty with leopards.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasses changing genders isn't as definite as it is with fairy and flasher wrasses. However, it may or may not happen, there's no certainty with leopards.

That's interesting. I've tried reading up on it but I couldn't find much information supporting it.

As far as the Blue Stars time clock goes, how long does it typically take for them to adjust to a new photoperiod?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. I've tried reading up on it but I couldn't find much information supporting it.

As far as the Blue Stars time clock goes, how long does it typically take for them to adjust to a new photoperiod?
It can vary from specimen to specimen, from a few days to a month. Feeding right before they go in the sand to sleep can help extend their time awake, feeding as soon as they unbury can motivate them to wake up early.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can vary from specimen to specimen, from a few days to a month. Feeding right before they go in the sand to sleep can help extend their time awake, feeding as soon as they unbury can motivate them to wake up early.

Thank you! One last question if you don't mind. If I were to add a third Leopard Wrasse once I move them to their permanent home, would I be able to add a different Leopard such as a Potters, or would you advise to add another Bipartitus or Meleagris instead? Alternately, would it be better to just keep them as a pair and not add a third to the mix?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had most leopards adapt to my time zone in a week or two, but some can take a month. I have added different species to y tank sequentially, with pretty minimal issues.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! One last question if you don't mind. If I were to add a third Leopard Wrasse once I move them to their permanent home, would I be able to add a different Leopard such as a Potters, or would you advise to add another Bipartitus or Meleagris instead? Alternately, would it be better to just keep them as a pair and not add a third to the mix?
Adding a third would be okay, but you do not want to mix two male leopards together even of two different species. So long as the potters was female, it should be okay.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a third would be okay, but you do not want to mix two male leopards together even of two different species. So long as the potters was female, it should be okay.
Agreed. Females are usually tolerant of females being added, males are decidedly less tolerant. Using a social acclimation box is best.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. Females are usually tolerant of females being added, males are decidedly less tolerant. Using a social acclimation box is best.

You two are saints :) thanks for your input.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on all fronts. I would say though that one will probably turn male eventually but whether that is in a month or several years who knows. As they said it's no guarantee, though. Often the larger or otherwise more dominant leopard changes. All of mine that turned male were transitioning upon arrival. My "female" blue star was starting the male transition two years ago or so when I got "her" and it has not progressed much. This is probably due to the fact that I already have a dominant male blue star in the tank, and a male ornate, whom was also supposed to be "female" but is a transitioning male still after the same time period, although he appears further along. Somehow everyone gets along but they were added simultaneously. I had another male (also an accident) choates leopard that died after 5 months unexpectedly and again no aggression issues then, eother. I also have a female black leopard, female potters, and female melagris. I'm guessing I get away with it because of the plethora of wrasse in my tank.

I will say that my male bipartus (blue star) with the other male leopards is far prettier than my other male melagris in another tank (I have three male total, one transitioning) with only halichoeres wrasse tankmates.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I had a female blue star in my tank for 6 months. I then added a M. meleagris, within a month the female blue star had turned male. No idea if it was related at all, but it happened to me...they're best friends now too, they constantly follow each other around the tank.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on all fronts. I would say though that one will probably turn male eventually but whether that is in a month or several years who knows. As they said it's no guarantee, though. Often the larger or otherwise more dominant leopard changes. All of mine that turned male were transitioning upon arrival. My "female" blue star was starting the male transition two years ago or so when I got "her" and it has not progressed much. This is probably due to the fact that I already have a dominant male blue star in the tank, and a male ornate, whom was also supposed to be "female" but is a transitioning male still after the same time period, although he appears further along. Somehow everyone gets along but they were added simultaneously. I had another male (also an accident) choates leopard that died after 5 months unexpectedly and again no aggression issues then, eother. I also have a female black leopard, female potters, and female melagris. I'm guessing I get away with it because of the plethora of wrasse in my tank.

I will say that my male bipartus (blue star) with the other male leopards is far prettier than my other male melagris in another tank (I have three male total, one transitioning) with only halichoeres wrasse tankmates.

Wow, I find it quite interesting/incredible that they've been stuck in the transition phase for as long as they have. What do they look like currently?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I find it quite interesting/incredible that they've been stuck in the transition phase for as long as they have. What do they look like currently?
The bipartus transitioning looks kind of stupid, like an ugly female. The ornate is pretty much male at this point but male and female differences are less noticeable with this species. I have a video from a few months ago perhaps you will be able to tell from it

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back