Leopard Wrasse questions

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Switch to 720P HD.

The female bipartus has turned darker (the light tan areas are a bit darker) and the green and darker belly areas are about 20% bigger. Really an ugly transition for this beautiful fish.

I think they're stuck in transition because of the presence of a larger true dominant male

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Switch to 720P HD.

The female bipartus has turned darker (the light tan areas are a bit darker) and the green and darker belly areas are about 20% bigger. Really an ugly transition for this beautiful fish.

I think they're stuck in transition because of the presence of a larger true dominant male

Dang, I want to be you when I grow up! :p Great collection of wrasses. Love the H. iridis. Do the lineatus and the rhomboid get along ok? I would have figured they might squabble as much as they look like each other.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Switch to 720P HD.

Wow, I love your wrasse collection! You're referring to the bipartitus with the large section of blue that nips at something near your leather at 0:09 correct?

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which male leopard steals the show at 0:27? It's hard to tell from the video but that one appears to either be full male or in the transition.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I love your wrasse collection! You're referring to the bipartitus with the large section of blue that nips at something near your leather at 0:09 correct?
Thanks. And yes that is correct

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which male leopard steals the show at 0:27? It's hard to tell from the video but that one appears to either be full male or in the transition.

That's the dominant male bipartus. Hard to tell from the awful video but he's absolutely gorgeous

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I want to be you when I grow up! :p Great collection of wrasses. Love the H. iridis. Do the lineatus and the rhomboid get along ok? I would have figured they might squabble as much as they look like each other.
Thank you. Yeah there is no problem, the lineatus is extremely laid back (mine anyway). The rhomboid just did his own thing. The rhomboid actually leaped out a few weeks ago, which is amazing because there is only a 3" area open where he can do that in the entire tank and it found its way out :(.

They were together for quite awhile about a year and a half I think without any issue.

This tank is placed at the bottom of my basement stairs so they see me appear quickly and frequently seemingly out of nowhere. I didn't think my tank placement through very well. You don't see the blonde naso tang in this video because she hates my guts and hides any time she sees me. I call her my scaredy gray cow. But fairy and flasher are flighty often anyway so they often hit the screen when I get to the stairs. When I move to my new home in a couple years, I will find a new spot where I don't suddenly appear on them..

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rhomboid actually leaped out a few weeks ago, which is amazing because there is only a 3" area open where he can do that in the entire tank and it found its way out :(.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's amazing yet unfortunate that they always seem to find the smallest opening to squeeze through /:

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. It's amazing yet unfortunate that they always seem to find the smallest opening to squeeze through /:

I leave an opening to pour top off water and food in, I figured the odds were almost zero they would get out based on where I placed it. Lol sigh

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sources such as liveaquaria didn't specifically list them as needing a tight fitting lid such as other wrasse so I was under the impression it wasn't as imperative. I guess any fish could be a jumper under certain conditions though. A lid is a cheap insurance policy... Haha

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sources such as liveaquaria didn't specifically list them as needing a tight fitting lid such as other wrasse so I was under the impression it wasn't as imperative. I guess any fish could be a jumper under certain conditions though. A lid is a cheap insurance policy... Haha
Exactly!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your serious about wrasses a lid is a must and will hopefully save you some cash in the long run.

OP
OP
Wilsoni

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X2. Yes you will want mesh. I would say any wrasse is a "flight risk", pun intended.

If your serious about wrasses a lid is a must and will hopefully save you some cash in the long run.

I really like the look of the ClearView Lids from ArtFully Acrylic. I just decided I'm going to pull the trigger on one for my Reefer :D

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the lineatus and the rhomboid get along ok? I would have figured they might squabble as much as they look like each other.
60-70% of the time those two go together okay.

I leave an opening to pour top off water and food in, I figured the odds were almost zero they would get out based on where I placed it. Lol sigh
If the head fits... :(

In that case I will need to add a mesh lid. Both of my tanks are open top/rimmless :oops:
Yeah, incidentally that's the recipe for fish jerky...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back