Leopard Wrasse - Uronema sore? Swim bladder infection? Video

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this guy into QT yesterday from the LFS. Noticed he was having trouble staying upright, moved him into a small isolation box so i could get a better look.

Now i see he has a really big sore on his left side by his pectoral fin. He's a bit lethargic and was not difficult at all to catch in the main tank with my hand.

Any thoughts?

Video:

20230709_141354.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look serious - although a surface infection, it is right above vital organs, so if it goes much deeper, a systemic infection could result.

It seems to be the wrong color and location for Uronema, but there are few hard and fast rules with that disease.

I'd contact the store and say that the fish is damaged.

In terms of treatment, moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic is all I can suggest - neoplex or Kanaplex for example.

Jay

p.s. - I always find this species very delicate, and I've simply stopped acquiring them.

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look serious - although a surface infection, it is right above vital organs, so if it goes much deeper, a systemic infection could result.

It seems to be the wrong color and location for Uronema, but there are few hard and fast rules with that disease.

In terms of treatment, moving it to a treatment tank and dosing with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic is all I can suggest - neoplex or Kanaplex for example.

Jay

p.s. - I always find this species very delicate, and I've simply stopped acquiring them.

Thanks jay. Will follow all the recommendations you provided, was about to hit him with kanaplex!

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Jay, so i moved into a hospital tank and used what i had on hand - bath in methylene blue (1ml/gallon/30 minutes) followed by rally pro in-tank overnight (1.5ml/gallon). Heavily oxygenated both.

Preparing to do a full water change shortly since there is no bio filtration and it's only 2 gallon tank. Attempted to feed hatched artemia and refrigerated pacpods, which in the video you can see he's eating, and swimming a bit better.

I don't have kanaplex or neoplex on hand, but i do have cipro, amoxicillin, and metro, not sure if those would work. I can run to the store and get the others if not. Let me know what you think! Thanks again, we're gonna get this guy through!

Video:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, so i moved into a hospital tank and used what i had on hand - bath in methylene blue (1ml/gallon/30 minutes) followed by rally pro in-tank overnight (1.5ml/gallon). Heavily oxygenated both.

Preparing to do a full water change shortly since there is no bio filtration and it's only 2 gallon tank. Attempted to feed hatched artemia and refrigerated pacpods, which in the video you can see he's eating, and swimming a bit better.

I don't have kanaplex or neoplex on hand, but i do have cipro, amoxicillin, and metro, not sure if those would work. I can run to the store and get the others if not. Let me know what you think! Thanks again, we're gonna get this guy through!

Video:

Of the drugs you have on hand, the cipro would be the most effective. Do you have a dose for it though?
Jay

OP
OP
I

IrezumiHurts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the drugs you have on hand, the cipro would be the most effective. Do you have a dose for it though?
Jay
Not for fish, I've only used it for nems. I believe i read somewhere something really low, like 5mg/liter. That seems very low but I've heard cipro is powerful stuff

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for fish, I've only used it for nems. I believe i read somewhere something really low, like 5mg/liter. That seems very low but I've heard cipro is powerful stuff

That's my issue - I don't have a dose for fish for Cipro. I have one I use with Enrofloxacin, a closely related antibiotic. That is dosed at 2.5 to 5 mg/l daily, but you need to change 50 to 75% of the water between each treatment.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back