Leptastrea not opening?

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few frags from a local guy about a week ago. Two of those are Leptastrea, one orange, one green. The orange one looks really happy and opened up by the day after introduction into my tank. The green one, however, has hardly opened at all. I also picked up a large frag of another variety at a local store on Tuesday that seems happy enough as well. Not fully extended but fluffed up.

It seems to be alive; I haven’t seen it shedding any tissue, and it’s had a few tentacles poking out a bit but it has been staying closed. I’m not sure it’s actually Leptastrea either, to be honest? Closed up it doesn’t look quite the same as the other colonies. I’ll attach a photo of the coral in question.

Does it look like it’s dying? And I’d love a potential ID if it doesn’t look like it’s a Leptastrea?

4367BC57-0CE5-4401-8653-B4AD4829E7CE.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank looks quite fresh as in new. If thats' the case, would not be a good coral as a newer tank will go through a series of chemistry changes.
Requirements are:

Temp 77-79
ph 8.1-8.3
salinity 1.025
nitrate < .04
phosphate < .04
Ammonia < .03
alk 8-9
Mag 1300
CA 440

MODERATE LIGHT AND WATER FLOW. i WOULD ALSO SUGGEST TO BRING FRAG OFF THE BOTTOM , AS IF SAND IS GETTING ON IT, IT WILL IRRITATE IT.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it is new, about two months old. But if everything has been stable, then I don't see why there would be chemistry changes in my tank if I haven't changed anything regarding my routine. Enlighten me why you say that?

I could certainly move it off the bottom and see if that makes any difference.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a few frags from a local guy about a week ago. Two of those are Leptastrea, one orange, one green. The orange one looks really happy and opened up by the day after introduction into my tank. The green one, however, has hardly opened at all. I also picked up a large frag of another variety at a local store on Tuesday that seems happy enough as well. Not fully extended but fluffed up.

It seems to be alive; I haven’t seen it shedding any tissue, and it’s had a few tentacles poking out a bit but it has been staying closed. I’m not sure it’s actually Leptastrea either, to be honest? Closed up it doesn’t look quite the same as the other colonies. I’ll attach a photo of the coral in question.

Does it look like it’s dying? And I’d love a potential ID if it doesn’t look like it’s a Leptastrea?

4367BC57-0CE5-4401-8653-B4AD4829E7CE.jpeg
That's actually not a leptastrea, it appears to be some sort of Favia and looks quite healthy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back